Author Topic: Dexter  (Read 24530 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Dexter
« Reply #375 on: December 19, 2011, 06:58:11 AM »
I saw it coming during the episode:
(click to show/hide)
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #376 on: December 19, 2011, 08:36:12 AM »
I liked a comment I saw on that scene where someone said, "It didn't save the season, but it probably saved the show."  Just about summed up my feelings on the matter.  Here's hoping they don't allow Dexter to wiggle his way out of it somehow and they actually force him to face it.

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #377 on: December 19, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
It is the place to go when there is nowhere else to go.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline Ansalem

• Well Established
« Reply #378 on: December 19, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Well, it isn't really incest, though. At least there was that.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #379 on: December 19, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »
Made a new thread so we can discuss this stuff without having to have a crap ton of spoiler tags

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #380 on: December 19, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Well, it isn't really incest, though. At least there was that.

well, it is, taboo-wise.
the incest taboo isn't about genetics, but upbringing. (if you're not breeding, there's no reason to worry about the genetics).
if you meet someone in adulthood, fall in love, fuck, and then find out you're father and daughter or brother and sister or whatever, that's 'not really incest' in the societal sense (i.e., if microscopes and computers didn't exist, there would be no problem). studies have shown that people, related or not, raised as siblings, develop the incest taboo, the idea that it's inappropriate to think about them as a potential mate, so, it's kinda amusing to think that Deb has her own little pathology, just like her "brother" :)
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #381 on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
I've always had a problem with the Debra character from a plausibility perspective -- supposedly smart, competent cop who doesn't have a clue that her own brother has been on a six-year killing binge (not to mention the ex bf)

Meh; I can see having a few blind spots.  She was pretty desperate for love in the first season, and don't forget that Dex didn't sense Brian's darkness either.  With Dex though, I think it's probably easier to accept her missing his nature as misdirection is the best kind of deception, and she's been misdirected about him for her whole life.  Every weird thing he does has an alternate explanation for her.

This is obviously the conceit with which the writers have been running from the get-go. But when Quinn, not the brightest bulb on the circuit, comes perilously close to nailing Dexter, only to be chased off the scent by Deb, you know the game's seriously rigged.

Just finished watching season 5 and quality-wise I think it was pretty par for the course.  Not stellar, but pretty damn good.  Re: Quinn catching Dexter's scent and not Deb, I think the only reason he did was because he was willing to even consider seriously that Dexter was the killer.  No one else was willing to go there; not Deb, not LaGuerta, not anyone.  Everything else he found came from that.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what the hell happened in between season 5 and 6?  They threw out so much of what they'd been working on in 5: the baby-sitter vanishes for no reason, LaGuerta and Batista go from reconciling to divorced, Quinn seems to not even think about Dexter's secrets anymore, and isn't Harrison a little young for pre-K?  Seeing how decent season 5 was made me all the more upset with 6 for just completely going off the rails.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
I think the changes were both to show that some decent time has passed (S6 definitely doesn't pick up the day after S5), and to set the desired backdrop for S6.

I enjoyed the HELL out of season 6.
A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #383 on: April 25, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »
First casting news for season 7 coming in:

Quote from: TVLine.com
n the first piece of casting for the show’s upcoming seventh season, Dexter has tapped Rome actor Ray Stevenson to join the ensemble in a major recurring role, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The Irish thesp will play a high-ranking member of an Eastern European crime ring who arrives in Miami determined to learn who killed one of his associates.

No further details were available, including whether Stevenson will function as the new season’s Big Bad.

Dexter‘s seventh season is set to premiere Sunday, Sept. 30.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #384 on: April 25, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
First casting news for season 7 coming in:

Quote from: TVLine.com
n the first piece of casting for the show’s upcoming seventh season, Dexter has tapped Rome actor Ray Stevenson to join the ensemble in a major recurring role, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The Irish thesp will play a high-ranking member of an Eastern European crime ring who arrives in Miami determined to learn who killed one of his associates.

No further details were available, including whether Stevenson will function as the new season’s Big Bad.

Dexter‘s seventh season is set to premiere Sunday, Sept. 30.

(click to show/hide)

Ah man, totally new direction, this sounds awesome.

Dexter takes down European mafia? Dexter recruited as hitman for European mafia? ...and let's not forget about Deb.

A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #385 on: April 25, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
...and let's not forget about Deb.

Please, let's.  I am going to be seriously miffed if the romance between them takes off.  The fact that the writers and producers think they've placed the seeds of the relationship throughout the series already show me precisely how horrible it would be if they go with it.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #386 on: April 25, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #387 on: April 25, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »

Please, let's.  I am going to be seriously miffed if the romance between them takes off.  The fact that the writers and producers think they've placed the seeds of the relationship throughout the series already show me precisely how horrible it would be if they go with it.

Not what I was talking about, but I agree with your sentiment...

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #388 on: April 25, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »

Not what I was talking about, but I agree with your sentiment...

Ah, then you're talking about Deb knowing Dexter's secret I take it?  I'm very curious to see where they take the characters after that.  It's entirely possible for instance, that Deb doesn't know the full truth immediately and may in fact just think Dexter only killed that guy.  Granted, his setup for killing the guy is a tad too meticulous for a first-timer, but emotions cloud a lot.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #389 on: April 27, 2012, 01:06:37 AM »
Ah man, totally new direction, this sounds awesome.

Dexter takes down European mafia? Dexter recruited as hitman for European mafia? ...and let's not forget about Deb.

you're more optimistic than me. I figured it would just be 'Dexter did it, and week after week this mafia guy is closing in on Dexter'.
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

personate-rain