Author Topic: Which podcasts are we listening to?  (Read 117539 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Which podcasts are we listening to?
« Reply #1275 on: November 11, 2016, 11:24:09 AM »
The pollsters, They are a pair republican and democrat pollster who talk about polls; how polls are done right, how their done wrong, and now they're trying to figure out what happened this time.   Probably a good time to start listening to them. 

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #1276 on: November 15, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
God Awful movies

Mebey not my favorite podcast, but it is definitely the one I feel most rewarded for listening to. They take stupid woo and propoganda filled movies and rip them to shreds with anger and comedy. Its honestly cathartic to hear a bunch of people speak about woo like it is stupid useless bull shit that should be made fun of.

https://www.patreon.com/GodAwful
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/god-awful-movies/id1041876428?mt=2

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1277 on: November 15, 2016, 10:13:47 PM »
GAM is definitely in my top 5.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #1278 on: November 16, 2016, 03:44:11 PM »
For me it's gotta be GAM, Opening Arguments, The Adventure Zone, Cracked, and I count Plumbing the Death Star and Movie Maintenance as one.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #1279 on: December 10, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »
Definitely recommend BBC World Service - The Documentary series of podcasts, eclectic topics from all around the world.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1280 on: December 10, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »
Any tech podcast recommendations?

Tech:
The Linux Action Show!
This Week in Tech
Triangulation
Security Now!

I'm adding:
Data Skeptic
Partially Derivative
This Week in Machine Learning and AI
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #1281 on: December 10, 2016, 07:57:24 PM »
Two podcasts, that were very similar, limited to a handful of episodes, and are now dead.

Facing Evil with Candice Delong
The Mind of a Murderer Podcast

Both basically interview murders and see what their version of events sound like, what justifications they make etc. Very interesting

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1282 on: December 11, 2016, 03:22:54 AM »
I would like to re-plug one of my current favourite podcasts - GM Word of the Week.

It is very well-written and well-producedproviding accurate historical and scientific information about terms, objects and situations that often come up in tabletop roleplaying games.

GMWotW recently concluded a multi-part series on biomes, for example. It examined many different kinds of biome - how they form, what kinds of plants and animals live in them, and how you can use them in your games. It was fascinating and informative. The author and the producer/narrator are clearly our kind of people, if you know what I mean.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #1283 on: December 11, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
Just discovered Science VS, because of a mention of it on this board. Love it. I'm working my way through it between listening to new episodes of my other podcasts.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #1284 on: December 11, 2016, 05:54:52 PM »
I would like to re-plug one of my current favourite podcasts - GM Word of the Week.

It is very well-written and well-producedproviding accurate historical and scientific information about terms, objects and situations that often come up in tabletop roleplaying games.

GMWotW recently concluded a multi-part series on biomes, for example. It examined many different kinds of biome - how they form, what kinds of plants and animals live in them, and how you can use them in your games. It was fascinating and informative. The author and the producer/narrator are clearly our kind of people, if you know what I mean.

I use them for my games, I actually keep a little notebook full of things Ive gotten from that podcast. But listening just for trivia and intrest purposes is very doable, so much tasty information.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1285 on: December 16, 2016, 06:54:10 AM »
Partially Derivative's been fantastic so far.  I've been picking episodes with interesting titles and they're all data science interviews, data science news chat or discussing news/culture from a data science perspective.  For an example of that last one, there's an episode where they just talk about Serial's geospatial analysis angle.  It's really good! 

Also, they're making data science sound very cool! 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #1286 on: December 21, 2016, 10:48:34 PM »
Recently got into paranormal casts.
Listened to quite a bit of "The Paranormal Podcast" with Jim Herald.
I can go into all the things I think about it if anyone cares, but the bottom line is that I can listen to it good naturedly and be genuinely... maybe not fascinated, but charmed? by the conversations.

Then I tried "Mysterious Radio", namely the first full episode featuring guest Mark Sargent, and I could not listen to it good-naturedly.
It was just every kind of grating, on the verge of being infuriating.

Need some suggestions at this point. I'm a voracious podcast listener. On top of my subscriptions I'm usually also going though a back catalog.
Now, I'm out. Need suggestions for good shows with a nice catalog to catch up with.
Go!
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline nameofthewave

« Reply #1287 on: December 22, 2016, 02:27:33 AM »
I can go into all the things I think about it if anyone cares, but the bottom line is that I can listen to it good naturedly and be genuinely... maybe not fascinated, but charmed? by the conversations.

Then I tried "Mysterious Radio", namely the first full episode featuring guest Mark Sargent, and I could not listen to it good-naturedly.

Need some suggestions at this point. I'm a voracious podcast listener. On top of my subscriptions I'm usually also going though a back catalog.
Now, I'm out. Need suggestions for good shows with a nice catalog to catch up with.
Go!

I'll make a few suggestions.

The first I've recommended on here before, but the more back episodes I listen to the more I like it:

BBC World Service  - The Documentary , eclectic, interesting and slightly off beat stories from around the world. There are over 300 episodes to catch up on.

Some recent highlight episodes:

Searching for Tobias -In 2008 Chloe Hadjimatheou was covering Barack Obama's first election campaign when she came across a 15 year old black boy in a Mississippi trailer park. Back then the young Tobias was full of potential and had big dreams of becoming a policeman. 8 years later, Chloe goes in search of him to find what became of him. Did Tobias ever fulfil his wishes and has he prospered in Obama's America?

Trolls, The Devil and Death - President Rodrigo Duterte was elected to power in the Philippines promising to tackle crime and to feed the corpses of drug dealers to the fish. In the months since he took office almost 5,000 people are believed to have been killed by police and vigilantes. The BBC Trending team investigates how Duterte's 'war on drugs' is playing out in real life, and how a sophisticated social media strategy is ensuring support for the controversial policy.

I've also recently started listening to the Stuff you Should Know podcast, after a few recommendations on here I think. Again some wide ranging topics not restricted to hard science. If you're looking to keep occupied there are over 900 (!) episodes to catch up on.

The Psychology Podcast - http://thepsychologypodcast.com/

I've just started listening to this, possibly some of the topics may venture into slight woo territory so you may need to have your bullshit radar tuned, but interesting nonetheless. 60 odd back episodes.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #1288 on: December 22, 2016, 06:42:24 AM »

Go!

Two podcasts- both semi fictional docudramas with strong links to real events. Sort of. Both by Pacific Northwest Stories (who are sort of semi fictional too)

The Black Tapes is an investigation into the mysterious eponymous Black Tapes. These are the paranormal events that skeptic paranormal investigator Richard Strand was unable to debunk. He is loosely based on Randi. Very loosely.

Tanis is as Tanis does. It is fun and weird. What is Tanis? Listen for yourself.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline nameofthewave

« Reply #1289 on: December 22, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »
The Guardian has published a list of the 50 best podcasts of 2016, loads I haven't heard of before (and lots of other suggestions in the comments). I'll be taking a look when I get a bit more time

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/21/the-50-best-podcasts-of-2016

personate-rain
personate-rain