Author Topic: About Moderation and Drama  (Read 3855 times)

Offline rebecca

• SGU Panel Member
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.skepchick.org
About Moderation and Drama
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:56:35 AM »
Hello, rational adults. And hello to the rest of you, as well. Please note the following:

Beleth is the Boss Here
Beleth is a friend of mine who has taken on a huge responsibility by modding this forum for free. I trust him. He's doing the best he can with relatively little direction from me, with his main goal up to now being to keep the community here running smoothly while not bugging me. I appreciate the hell out of that.

Bans and Moderation Should Be Low
Following my quick and cold execution of a user posting over-the-top rape threats, Beleth figured I was in favor of a cleaner forum and thus more bans and moderation. See, unfortunately these things are directly related: less moderation means more idiots posting idiotic things, and vice versa. However, I would still prefer to see less moderation, and bans should be few and far between. Beleth and I have discussed this now, and decided that I'll get a heads up before anyone gets the boot so that I can make sure they really, really deserve it.

Life is Not Fair
When someone is banned from now on, you can omg-lol-wtf it all you want in the mod forum but appeals to me via email, PM, Facebook message, or carrier pigeon will go in the garbage (the pigeon, too). I also won't give a crap whether or not the ban strikes you as being particularly consistent. Modding forums is generally not done by Vulcans, so we will be making value judgments. We may give a long-time poster the benefit of the doubt that is not reserved for n00bs. To borrow an ancient Internet phrase, call the whaaaaambulance.

The Explicit Section Sucks
We're going to close it until we can figure out what to do with it that doesn't involve idiots posting idiot pictures they found on /b/.

We'd Eventually Like to Have Some More Mods
That's not so that we can increase the amount of modding, but so that Beleth doesn't have to deal with the idiots relatively alone. However, this process is held up because every time we bring up the name of a potential new mod, that person acts like an idiot in the face of new drama. We are looking for people who actually keep a cool head. People who don't start flagging every post in brave protest of moderation. People who are not idiots.

Well, that about covers it for now. That was a really fun way to spend my morning.

Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: About Moderation and Drama
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »
Beleth Discussion of Rebecca's post has been moved here.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain