Author Topic: Maps are so cool  (Read 54520 times)

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Re: Maps are so cool
« Reply #585 on: October 06, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »

Also, my word for drive through liquor stores, "WTF, who thinks that's a good idea?, Only the South would have a dry county with a drive through liquor store on the other side of the county line and think they've done good."

Although, there is one in Atascedero, CA.  Or there used to be anyway.

In southern Ohio and northern Kentucky, these drive-throughs are called "pony kegs." I have no idea why.

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #586 on: October 06, 2016, 12:29:43 PM »
Still should be called "who the hell thinks that's a good Idea?"

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #587 on: October 06, 2016, 12:37:12 PM »
Have any of you made maps of fictional worlds? I've done many, trying to keep to basic principles of geology (and geo- related fields).

Do we have any geo- scientists in the community? My dad was a geography teacher and amature geologist. He infused our lives with far more geophysics than seems feasible in retrospect.

Yup.  Maybe someday I'll post some of my many maps.  I only saved a portion of them.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #588 on: October 06, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »

Why does getting out of your car validate a liquor purchase? You still have to drive home, or to a party, or under a bridge all by yourself, to drink it.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #589 on: October 06, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »

Why does getting out of your car validate a liquor purchase? You still have to drive home, or to a party, or under a bridge all by yourself, to drink it.
Intellectually I know, but emotionally something just seems wrong about a drive through liquor store.  I'm told in the South, its largely so the holy rollers won't be seen buying walking into a liquor store.  I was also told that some place sold mixed drinks in to go cups.  Never saw it personally.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #590 on: October 06, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »

Intellectually I know, but emotionally something just seems wrong about a drive through liquor store.  I'm told in the South, its largely so the holy rollers won't be seen buying walking into a liquor store.  I was also told that some place sold mixed drinks in to go cups.  Never saw it personally.

In my experience and it's limited to two separate drive throughs, you couldn't even get cold beer at the window. I agree that a mixed drink would be way out of line.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #591 on: October 06, 2016, 01:16:07 PM »
I was not a frequenter of these dens of iniquity, but if you purchase kegs or cases of beer, it is very efficient to drive in and just pop your trunk lid. An eager attendant is there to assist.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #592 on: October 07, 2016, 11:29:13 PM »
Have any of you made maps of fictional worlds? I've done many, trying to keep to basic principles of geology (and geo- related fields).

Do we have any geo- scientists in the community? My dad was a geography teacher and amature geologist. He infused our lives with far more geophysics than seems feasible in retrospect.

Yup.  Maybe someday I'll post some of my many maps.  I only saved a portion of them.
I would be thrilled to peruse them.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #593 on: October 10, 2016, 12:00:03 PM »
We had a few in my home town. Mostly people would just use them to get smokes without having to get out of the car.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #595 on: November 02, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »
http://mentalfloss.com/article/88138/more-accurate-world-map-wins-prestigious-japanese-design-award

O.O
I think of 2D maps of the earth as more of a schematic - the idea is that it be useful, not necessarily accurate.
If you want to make such a map over larger scales more accurate, then just use a globe.

For small scale (e.g. a town map) then flatness of a 2D representation is not introducing much error.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #596 on: November 02, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #597 on: November 03, 2016, 04:36:48 AM »
http://mentalfloss.com/article/88138/more-accurate-world-map-wins-prestigious-japanese-design-award

O.O

That is an ugly arse map

It makes us look more isolated than we are.

No, the point is that it shows exactly how isolated we are, more accurately than previous maps.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #598 on: November 03, 2016, 05:08:52 AM »

O.O

That is an ugly arse map

It makes us look more isolated than we are.

No, the point is that it shows exactly how isolated we are, more accurately than previous maps.

My problem with it is that the designer claims it is more representative of distances between places. Which for the Northern Hemisphere might be true, but it is way out for us and most of the Southern Hemisphere.

Chile, in reality, is a lot closer than the US, but on that map it looks a lot further away.

Another example I could use. I can go to my nearest beach and stand on a point where due west there is nothing (but water) between me and Argentina, and due south, nothing between me and Antarctica.
Both of these can be shown to children on a Mercator projection map of the world or a globe. But it would be hard for them to visualise that on the map above. It is too distorted to be usable.

Of course the globe is the only really useful representation of the world.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:11:00 AM by Tassie Dave »

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #599 on: November 03, 2016, 09:11:55 AM »
Of course the globe is the only really useful representation of the world.

???
Well.  There it is.