Author Topic: Are you Steam powered?  (Read 26357 times)

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Are you Steam powered?
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
The other thing that comes to mind is Minecraft (although its not on Steam). Its like LEGO on a computer, and you can join multiplayer servers to collaboratively build stuff. Theres an SGUForum minecraft server, although Im not sure how busy it is.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »
Since it's been a few years since I've posted in this thread, I'll just go ahead and remind everyone of who I am.

kdub42

Be my friend.

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »
The other thing that comes to mind is Minecraft (although its not on Steam). Its like LEGO on a computer, and you can join multiplayer servers to collaboratively build stuff. Theres an SGUForum minecraft server, although Im not sure how busy it is.

So you build stuff and then what?
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2012, 10:53:17 PM »
So you build stuff and then what?

Then whatever you want...

There are different sorts of servers and maps. Some people start a randomly generated world and try to survive in it (you can set it up with or without roaming monsters that attack you), some people just make artworks and giant sculptures, there are "challenge maps" that are hand created to have some sort of goal to accomplish such as collecting a specific resource from a hard to reach location.

Depends what kind of experience youre after whether its suited to you or not. Do you want to just hang out and be friendly with people, form friendly rivalries, or have serious head to head competition?

Its a bit of a tough question, kind of like just saying "Id like to read a book". Im having trouble thinking of games that are on Steam, have a low-ish barrier to entry (ie, suited to someone who isnt a hardcore gamer), and have a well regarded multiplayer.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline stretcher

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2012, 01:34:24 AM »
There's also Terraria, Minecraft's side-scrolling cousin with a dash of RPG.

Offline untamed101

• Off to a Start
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2012, 07:15:36 AM »
i love steam and the idea of been able to get games without going hunting for a good price and dealing with damaged discs and all that; its just great. but they really need to make it more accessible for those who may not have a continuous internet connection to their gaming pc. i know they have an offline mode and all; but u have to b logged into steam then turn it to offline mode then log off the net. and for me and many others this just sucks it means u need to keep the com going and logged in, and the second the power goes out u suddenly cant play ur games for (in my case) months at a time. :(

btw minecraft in awesome........ drooling a little :P
"Science adjusts it's beliefs based on what's observed, Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved."
Tim Minchin

Offline Doubting Thomas

• Off to a Start
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2015, 04:27:12 AM »
http://steamcommunity.com/id/topformpower/

I call myself Brutus Victor in there, but that doesn't mean that I'm a bad loser, it just means that I'm a bad winner :D

Offline Ambious

• Well Established
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2015, 05:41:44 AM »
I'm at http://steamcommunity.com/id/ambious/ if anyone wanna beat me senseless.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides