Author Topic: Interview Suggestion: Charlotte Allen  (Read 1606 times)

Offline anthraxus

• Doesn't Panic
    • Raging Gargoyle Games, LLC.
Interview Suggestion: Charlotte Allen
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
Author of this vitriolic screed: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-allen17-2009may17,0,491082.story

She clearly puts out the request for atheists to engage in  a meaningful discussion with believers, and who better to do that than Steve and the Rogues?

Offline noisician

• Off to a Start
Re: Interview Suggestion: Charlotte Allen
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »
I'd love to hear her interviewed. It's been too long since SGU had a "hostile" guest. I wish they would bring on more people with opposing or fringe views.

Some hilarious stuff from the link you posted:

"My problem with atheists is their tiresome -- and way old -- insistence that they are being oppressed and their fixation with the fine points of Christianity."

Um..., a few things. (1) That quote could at least as easily apply to high profile Christians. (2) You may not like our complaining but it's even harder to have sympathy for a group claiming oppression when they are the overwhelming majority. (3) Christians actually are oppressing atheists and other non Christians, so if the whining is annoying, you could - you know - leave us alone!

For example: Which group of Americans did President George W Bush claim are neither citizens nor patriots? Which group regularly has their rights assaulted by unconstitutional attempts to circumvent the First Amendment? Which group did Gallup find would be the least likely to even be considered by voters in presidential elections (even below homosexuals)?!

Her next sentence is just too creepy and surreal:

"What -- did their Sunday school teachers flog their behinds with a Bible when they were kids?"

WTF? I wasn't going to bring it up, but are you not aware of the alarming number of children who were sexually abused at the hands of Christian holy men? Wow.

Here's a funny moment - she makes a really stupid and easily refutable complaint about atheists and then immediately complains that atheists won't engage on serious arguments from Christians.

"If there is no God -- and you'd be way beyond stupid to think differently -- why does it matter whether he's good or evil? ...

The problem with atheists ... is that few of them are interested in ... taking on the serious arguments ..."

Was that was your idea of a serious argument? OK, fine: it matters if your imaginary god is evil, not because a non-existant evil god can harm us, but because REAL PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY SHOULD BLINDLY FOLLOW AN EVIL GOD CAN HARM US.

Too, too funny. It would be really great if she'd come on SGU.

She even repeats at the very end:

"So, atheists, how about losing the tired sarcasm and boring self-pity and engaging believers seriously?"

So your comments about kids getting their asses beaten with bibles at Sunday school were... not sarcastic???

I predict that if asked, she will NOT agree to engage the SGU in a serious discussion.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:08:42 PM by noisician »

personate-rain