Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 78879 times)

Offline EvilAnonym

• Off to a Start
Podcast Topic suggestions
« on: July 03, 2009, 10:18:02 AM »
This would be very interesting non-skeptic interview.
Christopher Langan is alleged to have IQ between 195 and 200.
He has write he's own "theory of everything" (CTMU) and he promotes intelligent design.
Very hard to understand... but with that IQ, I think we must give him a chance!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

Question suggestions:

1. Is there way to test CTMU? What kind of predictions it make?

2. In your opinion, what is specifically wrong with evolution, why ID instead?

3. Why you believe in Cartesian mind-matter dualism? Is there any specific evidence of it?

4. Since you already answered to chicken & egg question; If there is God what created it?
( http://www.megafoundation.org/CTMU/Q&A/Archive.html#Chicken )

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:03:39 PM by Beleth »

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
Suggestions for Topics to cover on the Podcast
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
I have noticed lately that we jump down the throat of the new poster who shows up to criticize the show. I've done it, and I've seen others do it. I'm not sure we should stop, but it probably chases off people. I would encourage people to greet and take interest in a nice way when people introduce themselves.
http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,3.0.html
That is partially what spurred me to post this.  NOT that people were being defensive, but that maybe the podcast is getting a little tired, and that is contributing to a drop in new membership.  I'm not qualified to judge if the podcast is getting tired...I'm hopelessly biased.  But when multiple new people show up and say the same thing, I take notice.

This might be more appropriate for the Suggestions section, but I would like to see them broaden their topics a bit.  Jenny Mccarthy's an idiot, we get it!  But, how about an entire episode on global warming?  Or, some of the less-obvious skeptic topics?  I love the show, but I would like to see them expand their topic range, a bit.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:33:05 PM »
715 posts in this thread.  At least I've done MY part.   ;D

@KarenX:  Duck. 

Oh, wait...maybe Karen is just doing HER part.  Pretty sneaky.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »
I have noticed lately that we jump down the throat of the new poster who shows up to criticize the show. I've done it, and I've seen others do it. I'm not sure we should stop, but it probably chases off people. I would encourage people to greet and take interest in a nice way when people introduce themselves.
http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,3.0.html
That is partially what spurred me to post this.  NOT that people were being defensive, but that maybe the podcast is getting a little tired, and that is contributing to a drop in new membership.  I'm not qualified to judge if the podcast is getting tired...I'm hopelessly biased.  But when multiple new people show up and say the same thing, I take notice.

This might be more appropriate for the Suggestions section, but I would like to see them broaden their topics a bit.  Jenny Mccarthy's an idiot, we get it!  But, how about an entire episode on global warming?  Or, some of the less-obvious skeptic topics?  I love the show, but I would like to see them expand their topic range, a bit.

i think they are; the last ep i listened to had a guest that wasn't exclusively talking about skepticism, which was refreshing. there have been a couple in recent memory that have included working scientists talking about their fields, which i think is great. i don't necessarily think that the SGU should move over to this kind of interview, but i would encourage the rogues to keep this kind of mixing-it-up going.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »
Maybe ILS is stealing members.

Seriously though, I'm sure ILS has something to do with it as the split happened back in November and several of the people who went over were big posters in the book and game forum.

ILS is hardly "stealing" members.  It is a VERY small forum, and the traffic at ILS is no where near the difference in traffic here.

Neither is there a false dichotomy of ILS and SGU.  There are plenty over there that do not post here, but there is plenty of crossover as well.

At the risk of treading on toes here, It sure would be nice if the ILS exiles would come back. The moderation excesses of that time are way in our rearview and things are fine now. Dunno if this has been tried already but anyone in a position to put a friendly hand out might want to consider doing so.

This has been tried, and everyone that posts solely at ILS is well aware that they can come back at any time.  It is a dead horse, and really isn't worth going over again, sadly.

Like it or not, there is a pretty well established community here.  If someone comes in and essentially bitches about how shitty the place is in their first post, they will be flamed.

This is a web forum, and if someone can't be bother to exercise standard netiquette then they will get jumped up and down on.  Pretty standard form, really.

If you think the current forum is "hard" on newcomers, it is nothing compared to when Paul Ganssle, IRON MAN, a3maniac, Orthodox Infidel et al were posting here.  The number of shitty arguments people get away with now is staggering compared to when they were around.  Punches were NEVER pulled for the sake of being nice, and the current community is as soft as a bunny comparatively.

It is next to impossible to pinpoint the how or why forum traffic has decreased without knowing detailed Podcast subscription information.  Has the number of Podcast subscriptions increased, decreased or stagnated over the same period?  My guess would be option b or c, the growth the SGU has seen was too fast to be maintained.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 07:44:03 PM »
no, wastrel, i think we can all agree that this entire thing is ILS's fault.

i mean, you guys have awesome t-shirts, how could it not be your fault? ;)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:47:55 PM »
It's wastrels avatars. Lord only knows how many noobs are twitching in epileptic fits as we speak.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 07:50:22 PM »
It's wastrels avatars. Lord only knows how many noobs are twitching in epileptic fits as we speak.

do you think we could find enough evidence to support this claim?

Offline JamesTate

• I'm Actually Mr. Wiggles
  • Frequent Poster
  • All things being equal
    • A Skeptics Journey
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
I wasn't being serious about my ILS stealing comment, wastrel.
"Always a plus when you aren't associated with genocide." - IrishJazz
"Doesn't this sound like a spaceship?" - Lady Cyrtpess
"A dry vagina is a sad vagina." -Pandaioum

Offline wastrel

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »
Well poo to you guys then.

Why am I taking everything seriously today?

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »
(also think how bad the stats would be without the whoring thread.   :o
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »
Well poo to you guys then.

Why am I taking everything seriously today?

/hug

i know ils didn't steal anyone, wastrel. there are members of both that are active on both. karen, for example. i have an account, but i haven't used it in forever. i keep meaning to pop on over there, but i forgot my login info :P

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02:24 PM »
Wastrel has a hard on for ILS.

LOL, always wanted to purposely say something flame worthy. 
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline wastrel

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
Wastrel has a hard on for ILS.

Well, it is my forum.

ETA: Damnit, I did it again
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:07:29 PM by wastrel »

Offline Iconoclast

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »

do you think we could find enough evidence to support this claim?
caaannnttt ttyyyppeee-- avvvaattaarr ccaaauusssinnng sssshhaakkees
"Everyone should try to end the day a little smarter than they began it" - Warren Buffet
www.thelongrunblog.com - Critical Thinking on Money, Finance and Economics
"it is a mind over bladder thing" - Stonequarry