Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 37594 times)

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
Suggestions for Topics to cover on the Podcast
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 08:43:42 AM »
So what topics would be less clear cut woo?
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 09:07:47 AM »
So what topics would be less clear cut woo?

Well, I'd like to hear more about shaken-baby syndrome.  The article in Discover kept referring to the 'skeptics' who had peer-reviewed articles showing it's all bunk.  But, Discover seemed to be so biased that it was hard for me to take it too seriously.

I also think global warming would be a good topic to discuss at-length.  They could dissect the ESP research (I personally think ESP is complete and utter woo, but given that there are "skeptics" on this forum who think the research shows it's real, I'd love to hear it discussed on SGU.)

I'm sure there are plenty more topics, but I'd have to give it some thought...
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Online seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is firing rockets at Israel.
Birth control and insurance companies
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 10:12:51 AM »
Have any on the panel seen this thread

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,21237.new.html#new

A skeptical treatment might make a good segment.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
    • Fetlife
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 03:11:28 PM »
I really like it when Steve dissects a bad research paper.  I also think an occasional bit on a product spotlight would be good.  Some products are clearly woo, but there are quite a few out there where I say "I wonder if that actually works."  There could easily be a thread for the submission of these products for the panel to discuss.  This would have the effect of creating fresh content and give pointers on how to research some of the information presented in the ads.
http://www.facebook.com/Auzauviir  <-- Play Scrabble with me!

gplus.to/karynwittmeyer

Offline wannabeplato

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »
I really like it when Steve dissects a bad research paper.  I also think an occasional bit on a product spotlight would be good.  Some products are clearly woo, but there are quite a few out there where I say "I wonder if that actually works."  There could easily be a thread for the submission of these products for the panel to discuss.  This would have the effect of creating fresh content and give pointers on how to research some of the information presented in the ads.

I like that idea.. actually, be better if that here was an actual section for that sort of of thing.. Sort of a Skeptics Better Business Bureau or FDA or whatever.. 

If it was a group, and products were required to be a thread each, then the community could help alot in providing research and content for different things which they could leverage (after whatever degree of fact-checking they wish) on the show.

"Well, once again, my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences... But the other head of science is bad. Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur. It bites." - The Tick

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »
Don't blame me, i've been doing my best to keep the numbers up! I've been more active for the last months than the rest of the year i've been a member.

DoctorOHM was actually the person I was going to blame all of this on. Hmmm.. now I'll have to find a new culprit.  :P

You are assuming it was his absence that was driving down the numbers.  ;)
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 03:46:22 PM »

Great idea; I was picking up lunch about 10 minutes ago, and the deli had this 4-hour-energy drink for sale.  I briefly looked at the ingredients, but except for the caffeine (same amount as in a cup of coffee, according to the label) I had no idea whether it would work.  Given that it's "all natural" I'm guessing it's garbage.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 04:00:15 PM »
Thanks for all the input, guys. A few thoughts.

We do need to mention the forums more on the show. However, we have also received feedback from new listeners saying that the show can feel like it is just catering to the established in crowd. Everything has a down side - so we have to be careful about the balance.

We definitely like it when people suggest topics to us. Perhaps we can make this a sticky thread under Suggestions.

We actually do plan to do a "call in" segment. Here is our idea so far:
- In order to be eligible you must be on skype and have a decent headphone/mic combo, and you must be available Wednesday night between 9 and 11 pm Eastern time.
- People can submit the question or topic they wish to discuss (probably e-mail, but we could consider another venue, like a forum thread)
- We will choose a topic and contact the person to confirm their Skype readiness and availability
- We will skype them when we are ready to discuss their question.

Thoughts?
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 04:11:34 PM »
Call-in idea could definitely work; I am assuming this would essentially be a more interactive form of the listener e-mail questions.  In any case, I think it would definitely make your listeners feel more engaged with the show.

But, do you have any way of screening people before hand?  A person may provide an interesting question or topic, but they may end up being terrible 'guests'.  Just a thought.  (Although, I suppose that's a risk you run any time you have an interview, and that's worked out pretty well...)

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 04:13:22 PM »

We do need to mention the forums more on the show. However, we have also received feedback from new listeners saying that the show can feel like it is just catering to the established in crowd. Everything has a down side - so we have to be careful about the balance.

We definitely like it when people suggest topics to us. Perhaps we can make this a sticky thread under Suggestions.

- In order to be eligible you must be on skype and have a decent headphone/mic combo, and you must be available Wednesday night between 9 and 11 pm Eastern time.
- People can submit the question or topic they wish to discuss (probably e-mail, but we could consider another venue, like a forum thread)
- We will choose a topic and contact the person to confirm their Skype readiness and availability

Thoughts?

Just a thought but maybe you can pick sort of a topic of the week, we discuss it on the forums for a few days then maybe you invite one of those people to discuss the topic on the show during that segment.  Sounds a bit more interesting then a generic call in segment.

That would seem to satisfy everything.  You get us to help research a topic for you, you also get a caller that the forums have already basically pre-screened for you.  We get forum traffic and a chance to help the show.
"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »

Thoughts?

Just a thought but maybe you can pick sort of a topic of the week, we discuss it on the forums for a few days then maybe you invite one of those people to discuss the topic on the show during that segment.  Sounds a bit more interesting then a generic call in segment.

That would seem to satisfy everything.  You get us to help research a topic for you, you also get a caller that the forums have already basically pre-screened for you.  We get forum traffic and a chance to help the show.

I love that idea, Rider!

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
    • Fetlife
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »

I will split some of this off and move the topic.

gplus.to/karynwittmeyer

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »
I know there are people here that can offer insight on a lot of things.  For example every news story about Wikipedia that has ever been covered on any podcast has made me wish I could give some input. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:29:12 PM by Rider »
"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
    • Fetlife
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 04:25:47 PM »
Oh, I'm going to have to lock this for a sec while I split it off.  Please excuse the interruption.

gplus.to/karynwittmeyer

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
    • Fetlife
Re: Suggestions for Topics to cover on the Podcast
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »
Topic moved to suggestions and set to sticky.  Please ignore anything that doesn't belong.

gplus.to/karynwittmeyer

personate-rain