Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 34945 times)

Offline User3point14159

• Brand New
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #495 on: January 31, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
GMO mosquito plan sparks outrage in Florida http://phys.org/news/2015-01-gmo-mosquito-outcry-florida.html

A British company's plan to unleash hordes of genetically modified mosquitoes in Florida to reduce the threat of dengue fever and other diseases has sparked an outcry from fearful residents.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Off to a Start
« Reply #496 on: February 02, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »
The most popular podcast on iTunes right now is NPR's "Invisibilia". It "explores the intangible forces that shape human behavior – things like ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions".
http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/

So far, the show seems focused on taking concepts from neuroscience and psychology, and spinning them into "This American Life" type stories. It is well-produced, and highly entertaining.

My concern is that, in its attempts to connect science with personal narratives, it misrepresents science. For example, the latest episode "Entanglement" starts with a segment on quantum entanglement, and uses that to launch into stories about empathy. There is an implication that the physics stuff and emotional stuff is connected. The quote "our thoughts are actual matter" is emphasized. They also say "there could be one particle of you right now entangled with the person you just passed on the street".

I'd love to hear the SGU do a review of this podcast. It would be a good entry point for a conversation about science podcasting, promoting science to the general public, the competing demands of narrative and scientific accuracy, etc.

Offline AJ_Barbarito

• Brand New
Addiction and Recovery
« Reply #497 on: February 08, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »
Hi guys. I love the podcast, and I'm incredibly thankful to you all for devoting your time to it.

I would love to hear you all do a segment on addiction and recovery. I am a recovering alcoholic, and I am very often confronted by pseudoscience in the rooms of AA. While I am thankful to AA for being there when I needed someone, it is difficult to dispute the fact that the people in those rooms can give out some very bad advice, and that the information we receive from the "Big Book" of AA is outdated, poorly sourced, largely anecdotal, sexist, and of course, involves a religious aspect that many of us in the rooms are uncomfortable with. I would like AA to come into the 21st century with regard to addiction science, and I would like those in the rooms to start understanding the often co-morbid afflictions of mental illness, and the fact that medicine is often needed to treat these afflictions.

I don't want a big hate party against AA, because it really is helpful, even for an atheist skeptic like me. It's good therapy, even if you have to hold your nose sometimes to deal with the rampant pseudoscience. What I want is for people to better understand addiction. I personally want to understand it better, and understand recovery better.

I'm also curious about the programs out there that claim not to use the disease model of addiction, and claim to "cure" addiction. These fairly reek of pseudoscience, but I have seen very few refutations or denunciations of these folks. My personal experience is that I must abstain from alcohol in order to maintain sobriety, and that I will never be able to drink normally. I have heard claims, though, from people who say they were alcoholics, and can now drink normally. I wonder if there is any credence to these claims. I don't ever want to drink again, but I'm curious if that's even been shown to be possible.

So anyway, I would love to hear something about addiction, if you guys can swing it. Thanks again for the podcast!

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Well Established
« Reply #498 on: February 14, 2015, 12:32:49 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place or if this thread is even visited by Steve and the rogues, but here's a suggestion.

You guys should mention Brian Brushwood's new skeptical show called Hacking the System on Nat Geo. Always important to promote a fellow skeptic.

Brain Games is another skeptical show on the same network.

Offline JauntyAngle

• Brand New
« Reply #499 on: February 25, 2015, 11:55:35 AM »
I would like to see a good debunking of this

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/02/jeff-wise-mh370-theory.html

"How Crazy Am I to Think I Actually Know Where the Malaysia Airlines Plane is?" Uhm ... very. Yes, very crazy. He says Russian hackers took over the plane, caused it to emit fake satellite signals, evaded land radar and then landed at an abandoned airfield in Kazakhstan where the plane was buried by Vladimir Putin for some unexplained reason.

Offline Enkidu Shamesh

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #500 on: March 01, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
I love the basic idea of this game, though it's execution seems a bit flawed. It would be great to see a more polished clone with a stronger skeptical bend to it:

► WTF Is... - Social Justice Warriors ?

It would be cool to hear your thoughts on it, and maybe throw the idea out there on the podcast that it would be great if someone took the basic premise and moved it to more traditional skeptical topics. Maybe stay away from the more politically and socially charged ones for the sake of teaching critical thinking and just hope that seeps into those other areas.

Offline brilligtove

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Evidence trumps experience.
    • Valuum
« Reply #501 on: March 06, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place or if this thread is even visited by Steve and the rogues, but here's a suggestion.

You guys should mention Brian Brushwood's new skeptical show called Hacking the System on Nat Geo. Always important to promote a fellow skeptic.

Brain Games is another skeptical show on the same network.

NatGeo has Dan Pink's show "Crowd Control" too. Perhaps the rogues can review their lineup of skeptical programming? I didn't know about the other two shows until coming to this thread to make a suggestion.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Evidence trumps experience.
    • Valuum
Forgotten Heroes of Science Suggestion
« Reply #502 on: March 06, 2015, 10:10:12 AM »
I just saw this tweet from @XOR

Margaret Hamilton developed the field of "software engineering" at NASA, saved Apollo 11 moon landing #FilmHerStory pic.twitter.com/OwP0VgUobd

If her wikipedia entry is accurate she's a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is.

(modified to correct wiki link to correct case - who knew wikipedia is case sensitive?)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:35:15 AM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline snoqminer

• Brand New
New Alzheimer’s treatment fully restores memory function
« Reply #503 on: March 18, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »
Is this as amazing as it reads? Would love to hear a validation or take down.

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-alzheimer-s-treatment-fully-restores-memory-function

It seems too good to be true.