Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 39799 times)

Online Ambious

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Up the Irons!
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #525 on: September 21, 2014, 05:49:34 AM »
While that would be nice, I think "Skeptic Solidarity" is an oxymoron by definition.
"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know,' and thou shalt progress."
— Maimonides

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #526 on: September 21, 2014, 05:57:56 AM »
While that would be nice, I think "Skeptic Solidarity" is an oxymoron by definition.

I disagree!

(See what I did there?)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • bLog for a righter/musican
« Reply #527 on: September 22, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »

I disagree!

(See what I did there?)
Splitters!
(click to show/hide)
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Offline pusher robot

• PAK CHOOIE UNF
« Reply #528 on: September 24, 2014, 12:49:27 AM »
I already posted this in Health but it seems like it would be in Dr. Novella's wheelhouse:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/opinion/sunday/should-we-all-take-a-bit-of-lithium.html

I was intrigued but it raised a few red flags in my mind, making pretty grandiose claims about the benefits of Lithium and complaining about scientific prejudice and Big Pharma conspiracy (though those claims were stated relatively weakly.)  Is there any solid science behind the suggestion that low-level doses of Lithium have a positive effect on mood or brain function?
Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade, and yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

Offline metal-dog

• Brand New
« Reply #529 on: October 08, 2014, 04:52:39 AM »
I suppose it's a low-hanging fruit but somebody needs to pick it:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/life-after-death-largestever-study-provides-evidence-that-out-of-body-and-neardeath-experiences-may-actually-be-real-9780195.html

(Life after death is possible because anecdotes!)

Offline marcparis

• Easily peeved.
« Reply #530 on: October 08, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »
I suppose it's a low-hanging fruit but somebody needs to pick it:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/life-after-death-largestever-study-provides-evidence-that-out-of-body-and-neardeath-experiences-may-actually-be-real-9780195.html

(Life after death is possible because anecdotes!)

Was just about to post this suggestion. But it's "life after cardiac arrest is possible because memories that may come from any time whatsover".

Dreadful. Of course the press gobbles this up, but the "scientists" are really feeding it to them with a spoon.

Dr David Wilde, a research psychologist and Nottingham Trent University, is currently compiling data on out-of-body experiences in an attempt to discover a pattern which links each episode.
He hopes the latest research will encourage new studies into the controversial topic.
“Most studies look retrospectively, 10 or 20 years ago, but the researchers went out looking for examples and used a really large sample size, so this gives the work a lot of validity.
“There is some very good evidence here that these experiences are actually happening after people have medically died.

Ugh. Billions of garbage data don't make the garbage more valid. People's claims of something they remember (how, if their brain can't be functioning?) at a traumatic time, with no reference to when the memories were created.

And this from the lead researcher:

Dr Parnia believes many more people may have experiences when they are close to death but drugs or sedatives used in the process of rescuitation may stop them remembering.
“Estimates have suggested that millions of people have had vivid experiences in relation to death but the scientific evidence has been ambiguous at best.
“Many people have assumed that these were hallucinations or illusions but they do seem to corresponded to actual events.
“And a higher proportion of people may have vivid death experiences, but do not recall them due to the effects of brain injury or sedative drugs on memory circuits.

So... drugs or sedatives (which aren't drugs?) can interfere with memory. And that has nothing to do with what these people claim to remember. Right. And brain injury can have an effect on memory circuits (is that even a valid analogy in today's understanding of the brain?), but that in no way compromises the integrity of this "data".

Please discuss!

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Well Established
  • ceci n'est pas une good post
« Reply #531 on: October 12, 2014, 02:32:12 AM »
Bacterial ClpB heat-shock protein, an antigen-mimetic of the anorexigenic peptide α-MSH, at the origin of eating disorders

Abstract below:
The molecular mechanisms at the origin of eating disorders (EDs), including anorexia nervosa (AN), bulimia and binge-eating disorder (BED), are currently unknown. Previous data indicated that immunoglobulins (Igs) or autoantibodies (auto-Abs) reactive with α-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (α-MSH) are involved in regulation of feeding and emotion; however, the origin of such auto-Abs is unknown. Here, using proteomics, we identified ClpB heat-shock disaggregation chaperone protein of commensal gut bacteria Escherichia coli as a conformational antigen mimetic of α-MSH. We show that ClpB-immunized mice produce anti-ClpB IgG crossreactive with α-MSH, influencing food intake, body weight, anxiety and melanocortin receptor 4 signaling. Furthermore, chronic intragastric delivery of E. coli in mice decreased food intake and stimulated formation of ClpB- and α-MSH-reactive antibodies, while ClpB-deficient E. coli did not affect food intake or antibody levels. Finally, we show that plasma levels of anti-ClpB IgG crossreactive with α-MSH are increased in patients with AN, bulimia and BED, and that the ED Inventory-2 scores in ED patients correlate with anti-ClpB IgG and IgM, which is similar to our previous findings for α-MSH auto-Abs. In conclusion, this work shows that the bacterial ClpB protein, which is present in several commensal and pathogenic microorganisms, can be responsible for the production of auto-Abs crossreactive with α-MSH, associated with altered feeding and emotion in humans with ED. Our data suggest that ClpB-expressing gut microorganisms might be involved in the etiology of EDs.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

personate-rain