Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 32102 times)

Offline CraigOsaka

• Brand New
Feelgood story about kidney trasnplant seeker has woo twist
« Reply #480 on: August 25, 2012, 02:55:20 AM »
Random click on a feelgood story yielded an interesting skeptical twist.
"Reiki" still gives me nightmares. Once I was asked to correct an English translation of a Japanese Reiki pamphlet. All I could tell my non-skeptic/non-woo boss (call her a "civilian", I guess?) was that the contents literally did not make any sense. It was impossible to "correct" it. Almost got in trouble until a coworker confirmed my story. Anyway, that words still jumps out for me, as when I saw this story.

Billionaire Ty Warner gives woman $20,000 for her cause after asking her for directions

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/billionaire-ty-warner-gives-woman-20-000-her-165731962.html

Vasilakos was at the intersection trying to raise $20,000 for a stem cell procedure she needs to help save her life because she suffers from kidney failure and does not qualify for a transplant.

Very kind of the donor. Hopefully a happy ending. But the woo twist?

Vasilakos, an herbalist and Reiki teacher, received a package on July 16 with a $20,000 check and with a handwritten note from Warner.

Herbalist and Reiki teacher? Must be desperate to seek real medical treatment.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if perhaps there is a Steve Jobs-ish angle at work here. Using woo until too late, now needs real medicine?
"Facts all come with points of view. Facts don't do what I want them to." -Talking Heads

Offline thombarker

• Brand New
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #481 on: August 28, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
I think SGU should check out a new Canadian activist group called Bad Science Watch.

www.badsciencewatch.ca

Its first projects are pressuring Health Canada to de-register homeopathic "vaccines" and countering anti-WiFi activism in this country.

Thanks.

Online Sci_BA

• Off to a Start
  • evidence trumps experience
    • The Dangerous Question
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #482 on: April 21, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »
I think SGU should check out a new Canadian activist group called Bad Science Watch.

www.badsciencewatch.ca

Its first projects are pressuring Health Canada to de-register homeopathic "vaccines" and countering anti-WiFi activism in this country.

Thanks.

Thanks for the link. I'm checking them out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Conscious of my anosognosia.

personate-rain
personate-rain