Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 80905 times)

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #555 on: July 17, 2016, 09:27:50 PM »
Rat kings are an interesting phenomenon that appear to be kind of on the border between cryptozoology and general biology. I think this would make for a fun topic, as crypto-stuff usually does (imho).

Also, bit of a long shot, since I know the SGU doesn't do politics, but recently I've become more interested in the Iraq war, its motivations and its consequences. I realize it's a minefield, so it will be controversial, but from my admittedly limited excursion into this topic, there may be a bit more to (in particular) the whole Iraq WMD discussion than there at first appears to be in the narrative one hears in most of the press (at least on my side of the political divide, which tends to be more towards the left). That is, even after more than a decade, it is an interesting, controversial topic with a big impact, but which can be fact checked, that I don't think has been given its fair due in the skeptical community.
I was thinking of plugging a lecture here on that topic, but actually, I'd rather hear what others come up with by themselves (though if you're interested, shoot me a PM).

Offline bbookman

• Brand New
A few topic ideas and a study suggestion
« Reply #556 on: July 27, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »
I might do this myself, and it would be cool to see other fans of the show with more time and knowhow do it also - How about a count of topics?  Really this may boil down to a chart of word frequency use.  Take all the text of all the show notes and do a word usage analysis.  The objective would be to see which topics are getting the most play and the least play.  Using this and other tools would help keep the show lively if the team makes decisions from such data.  In other words, use science based tools to keep track of what is covered and leverage those tools to improve the show

Topic ideas:
  • NLP (Neurolinguistic Programming): I'm still troubled that there was a NECSS conference section teaching the methods of this technique while the show has not taken on this subject
  • Hypnosis: my gut tells me this is not addressed frequently on the show and I'm really struggling with the info online about the evidence for efficacy
  • Mindfulness and Meditation

Offline wgallop

• Brand New
« Reply #557 on: August 08, 2016, 01:11:59 PM »
Was wondering if the show could cover this therapy that Olympic Athletes seem to be using a lot. Would love to hear Steve's take on this "Red Cup Therapy" especially...Here is a link to the first article I could find:
http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-phelps-cupping-therapy-rio-olympic-swimming-2016-8
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:14:48 PM by wgallop »

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #558 on: August 08, 2016, 01:45:23 PM »
Was wondering if the show could cover this therapy that Olympic Athletes seem to be using a lot. Would love to hear Steve's take on this "Red Cup Therapy" especially...Here is a link to the first article I could find:
http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-phelps-cupping-therapy-rio-olympic-swimming-2016-8

Covered in Dr. Novella's blog a few years ago.
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/wacky-medical-treatments/
Amend and resubmit.

Offline fil512

• Off to a Start
« Reply #559 on: September 02, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »
This looks like big news:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/09/01/alzheimers-new-drug-that-halts-mental-decline-is-best-news-for-d/

Can you speak to the voracity of the claims?

Thanks!
Ken

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #560 on: November 14, 2016, 08:14:12 AM »
Has the SGU ever talked about the possible deep relation between entanglement and space-time? I don't recall, but I've now seen this mentioned in various places as "a mini revolution in physics". In any case, it sounds very interesting. Seems like a :bob: topic. From the article:

Mooohn!

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #561 on: January 30, 2017, 07:42:39 AM »
I'm currently reading this article about Stanley Milgram's famous experiments about the banality of evil - you know the ones that are in every psychology textbook, in which he had people administer increasingly powerful shocks to another person and they all went along with delivering a fatal shock without requiring much effort by the experimenter. Well, as it turns out, it's not quite that simple.  The article is unfortunately in Dutch, so I'll do my best to summarize the main points here:

First of all, Milgram conducted not one, but 23 variants of his experiment across 117 sessions, with results varying between 0 and 92.5% compliance. In 1963 he reported only on one of these, in which 65% went all the way. However, if one looks at all 23 experiments, 57% actually eventually disobeyed. Obedience decreased significantly if the person receiving the shocks was in the same room, or if the experimenter took off his grey lab coat, but everyone complied if the person receiving the shock was silent. Everyone tried to resist, and used three main tactics to do so: (1) talking to the victim, (2) pointing out the experimenter's responsibility and (3) simply refuse to continue. The subjects who successfully resisted going along with the experimenter simply did so more often and more consistently than those who didn't.

Milgram's "experimenter" (who was picked specifically because he radiated a sense of authority) frequently deviated from the protocol they had established in order to push people as hard as he could, and Milgram himself wrote in his notes that he wondered whether his experiments had more to do with science or theater. For example, the experimenter was asked to give each subject 4 verbal "nudges" of increasing intensity when they failed to comply, but in reality he often went beyond those, giving as many as 9 or in one case 26 nudges. When he gave the most urgent nudge "you must comply, you have no choice", every test subject refused to cooperate. It seems that Milgram, whose career depended upon reaching a certain conclusion from these experiments, had started with his desired conclusion and refined his experiments until he reached it. It also turns out he failed to inform about 600 of his subjects that the experiment was faked after it was over, because he feared that word would spread and that would render his results useless.

Because of the 1973 refinement of ethical guidelines for psychological experiments, it was next to impossible to even attempt to replicate Milgram's findings.

Recently, two psychologists, Alex Haslam and Stephen Reicher, re-interpreted the outcomes of these experiments as being due not to a hard wiring for obedience, but due to the subjects' love for science, and them actively deciding to team up with the experimenter. This would explain why, for example:
- Fewer people went along with the experiment when Milgram conducted it in an ordinary office building, rather than at Yale.
- Little nudges that appealed to scientific goals (e.g.: "the experiment requires that you proceed") were most effective.
- Fewer subjects went along with the experiment if they were told it was about "social behavior" than when it was about "cognitive neuroscience".
- Many subjects were relieved and reacted positively (encouraging the experimenter to continue his experiments) when they were assured that their participation had benefited science after the experiment.

In other words, the Milgram experiments were not about blind obedience at all, but rather about seduction, conviction, misdirection, temptation, and engagement. The subjects came into the lab hoping to help out with a scientific experiment, and, rather than relying on blind obedience and human nature, Milgram and his experimenter manipulated those preexisting tendencies. They went along with it not because they were submissive, but because they thought it was the right thing to do. For example, one subject recounted that he went along with the experiment for the sake of his 6 year old daughter, who suffered from a form of paralysis that he hoped science would find a cure for.

The article also deals with other symbols for the banality of evil, like Hannah Arendt, Adolf Eichmann and the Holocaust, and the question of why it is so tempting to believe the worst about human nature.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:47:12 AM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #562 on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:25 AM »
With the recent talks about sport, I'd like to suggest a tangential topic; doping. Maybe talking about the challenges of detecting it, but also about the potential benefits of the methods for humans outside of cheating in competitions. Or about the damage it can cause. Could there be a "doping" league, allowing more ways of exploring what can be done to enhance humans, or is that an absurd idea?

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #563 on: February 17, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »
The recent report of the American College of Physicians recommending acupuncture as an alternative treatment for lower back pain.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline Doctor Whom

• Batshit sane
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #564 on: March 01, 2017, 07:10:24 AM »
A Brief History of Tim

I've just read an interesting article on the guardian's website about a study into nominative determinism. The study's behind a paywall so I can't verify its claims but it seems to suggest that people can guess what someone's name is just by looking at a picture with better results than chance alone. "He looks like a Tim" or whatever. I thought it might be interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/01/a-brief-history-of-tim-dowlling
People who live in paper houses shouldn't throw scissors.

Offline smudge

• Off to a Start
« Reply #565 on: March 02, 2017, 08:38:30 AM »
Placebo effect - is it really real?!
The gang at 'Skeptics with a K'  (excellent UK based skeptical podcast for those who don't know) have been looking at the placebo effect, specifically some of the claims made by Ben Goldacre in Bad Science (and in some of Ben's live shows) but also looking at the placebo effect in general. Looking at the data Ben used it seems that the apparent effect may be down to poor studies and/or bias suggesting that the effect may be nothing more than a myth. I'd love to hear the SGU crew look into this. Maybe even have a chat with someone from Skeptics with a K (I know Marsh has appeared in the past, Mike is the one investigating placebo).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:44:05 AM by smudge »

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #566 on: March 02, 2017, 09:04:01 AM »
The gang at 'Skeptics with a K'  (excellent UK based skeptical podcast for those who don't know) have been looking at the placebo effect, specifically some of the claims made by Ben Goldacre in Bad Science (and in some of Ben's live shows) but also looking at the placebo effect in general. Looking at the data Ben used it seems that the apparent effect may be down to poor studies and/or bias suggesting that the effect may be nothing more than a myth. I'd love to hear the SGU crew look into this. Maybe even have a chat with someone from Skeptics with a K (I know Marsh has appeared in the past, Mike is the one investigating placebo).

That would certainly be interesting... Which episode was this discussed in? Was Mark Crislip involved in this, by any chance?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:06:33 AM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
Posted to another thread on Tucker Carlson/Bill Nye debate on Global Warming:

As an aside, does Carlson's debating tactic have a name? Taking the form, "If you can't predict x with absolute precision, anything you have to say about x is a guess and therefore suspect". It not exactly shifting the burden of proof, more demanding an unreasonable level of proof in an attempt to falsify an assertion. This might make a good "Name That Logical Falacy" segment.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline smudge

• Off to a Start
« Reply #568 on: March 02, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »

That would certainly be interesting... Which episode was this discussed in? Was Mark Crislip involved in this, by any chance?

It pops up intermittently werecow- the most recent episode 192 I found particularly interesting. From memory, the most recent couple have also had a section where Mike delves into it a little.

http://www.merseysideskeptics.org.uk/podcasts/

No, I don't recall any mention of Crislip. I'll have a look at that link when I get time.

Offline Tom B

• Brand New
Time Crystals
« Reply #569 on: March 18, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »
I think an interesting topic would be time crystals. I've got the vaguest idea of what they're describing, and I think a discussion would be very interesting.

https://qz.com/928609/physicists-have-created-an-impossible-state-of-matter-that-could-power-quantum-computers/

personate-rain