Author Topic: Decreasing Forum Traffic  (Read 10711 times)

Online pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: non-binary anarchy
    • Oodles of Doodles - My blog
Re: Decreasing Forum Traffic
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2009, 06:03:47 PM »
I just think there's only so much you can say about skeptical topics. I mean, we get it already. It's a great place to socialize, though. I love hanging out here, even if I can't summon the energy to decry the uselessness of alternative medicine anymore.
Good point. That's probably why politics and religion have become so active- endless new stuff to discuss.

i wouldn't call it new. there's a lot of ground covered and recovered, it's just that there are so many ways to attack an argument that isn't purely scientific in nature (such topics relate to ethics and morality, imo, which is why politics and religion are so easily argued about).

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
Be aware that some topics, especially those involving religion or politics, have been covered numerous times, literally over the course of several months and thousands of posts.  New posts on these topics may get a harsh response - don't take it personally, but understand that many topics have been argued multiple times in excruciating detail, and will get harsh responses from people who don't want to go over it yet again.  (per Karyn's previous post)
Then there is also the other side of this coin; topics we covered six months or a year ago, that noobs didn't see and want to discuss instead of just reading someone else's discussion. I actually like to see that- the forum shouldn't just be a one-time archive of discussion; it should be a place for people to come and hash something out. If old-timers don't want to take part, that's fine, but we should encourage others to and even help them.

As a noob I agree with this. I"m left out of alot because there are disscussions that have 2 years worth of posts.
"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
Nobody's been mean to me yet, but I came in strongly anti-woo and with a thick skin from cutting by internet posting teeth on sports messageboards (nearly as brutal as they are irrational). It's possible you all are harsh on woo-ish or thin skinned new posters, but I don't think you are scaring off skeptics who can take a joke or correction.
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Online pandamonium

• All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
Be aware that some topics, especially those involving religion or politics, have been covered numerous times, literally over the course of several months and thousands of posts.  New posts on these topics may get a harsh response - don't take it personally, but understand that many topics have been argued multiple times in excruciating detail, and will get harsh responses from people who don't want to go over it yet again.  (per Karyn's previous post)
Then there is also the other side of this coin; topics we covered six months or a year ago, that noobs didn't see and want to discuss instead of just reading someone else's discussion. I actually like to see that- the forum shouldn't just be a one-time archive of discussion; it should be a place for people to come and hash something out. If old-timers don't want to take part, that's fine, but we should encourage others to and even help them.

As a noob I agree with this. I"m left out of alot because there are disscussions that have 2 years worth of posts.

this is a fair point. when i see topics i have discussed until i'm sick and tired of them, i just ignore them. but i'm not everybody :P

Rillon's Law
"

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2009, 06:09:17 PM »

The message isn't "Don't bring it up," instead it is, "Bring it up if you like, but understand the reaction may be a lot stronger than you're expecting."  (and  going through an old thread before starting a new one, while painful, would cut down on the flames.)
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a Russian!
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2009, 06:11:34 PM »
I have noticed lately that we jump down the throat of the new poster who shows up to criticize the show. I've done it, and I've seen others do it. I'm not sure we should stop, but it probably chases off people. I would encourage people to greet and take interest in a nice way when people introduce themselves.

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,3.0.html
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2009, 06:11:59 PM »

Do not worry about posts made two years ago, there are honored members here who are blithely unconcerned about posts made two pages ago.  Or about covering the same material a gazillion times.  These boards are about interaction, about perfecting and polishing arguments, not about winning them.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Online pandamonium

• All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2009, 06:13:58 PM »

Do not worry about posts made two years ago, there are honored members here who are blithely unconcerned about posts made two pages ago.  Or about covering the same material a gazillion times.  These boards are about interaction, about perfecting and polishing arguments, not about winning them.

They aren't? Damn, I've been doing it wrong. ;)

Rillon's Law
"

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »

Yea, I tend to steer clear of the threads w/ a gazillion posts.  A good way to get involved is to post a news story, etc that interests you and you'll usually have a few people jump in and join the discussion.

As for certain topics which have been discussed over and over again, well...people have been debating over various religious concepts for thousands of years.  I don't know why anyone thinks we were going to put those issues to bed in a few forum threads :).  I say, as long as the issue is discussed in a thoughtful manner, retreading over an old topic is always welcome.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Jim S

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
I just think there's only so much you can say about skeptical topics. I mean, we get it already. It's a great place to socialize, though. I love hanging out here, even if I can't summon the energy to decry the uselessness of alternative medicine anymore.
But the situation was the same back in November '08 or January '09.  The typical skeptical topics like evolution, CAM, pareidolia, etc., had already been rehashed many times even then.     Per IJ's remark, are we less willing now to cover them again for some reason? 

If the mods get better data, it will be interesting to see what the trends are.  For instance, November saw a peak in traffic...was this due to the US election?   Traffic in the Politics area may account for a decent portion of the drop over the following few months. 
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline Jim S

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2009, 06:25:38 PM »
I have noticed lately that we jump down the throat of the new poster who shows up to criticize the show. I've done it, and I've seen others do it. I'm not sure we should stop, but it probably chases off people. I would encourage people to greet and take interest in a nice way when people introduce themselves.
http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,3.0.html

That is partially what spurred me to post this.  NOT that people were being defensive, but that maybe the podcast is getting a little tired, and that is contributing to a drop in new membership.  I'm not qualified to judge if the podcast is getting tired...I'm hopelessly biased.  But when multiple new people show up and say the same thing, I take notice. 

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
(The podcast is getting a little tired.)

Online pandamonium

• All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2009, 06:29:25 PM »
november's spike was probably very much related to the US presidential election, but also to other elections held in the rest of the world (yes, the rest of the world exists. and they have presidents. it's hard to remember that sometimes).

games traffic going down is probably another big factor.

i can't say for certain, but it seems to me that there are as many new people as there ever were. but, i don't have the data for that, so i only present it as a weak opinion.

Rillon's Law
"

Online pandamonium

• All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2009, 06:30:09 PM »
(The podcast is getting a little tired.)

that's it, the peasants are definitely going to revolt now. look what you've done, woman!

Rillon's Law
"

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
    • http://www.evileyemonster.com
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »
Oh well. Won't work for me. No mic and no Skype.

:'(
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

personate-rain