Author Topic: hardcore history  (Read 15685 times)

Offline mlfj4901

• Keeps Priorities Straight
hardcore history
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:26:57 AM »
Anyone else listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts?  If you're a history nut, they're great.
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly"  Proverbs 26:something or other, yes god is basically telling me I'm a vomiting eating bitch.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: hardcore history
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:30:52 AM »
yes and agreed, damn fine podcast.

Offline mlfj4901

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »
I've gone back and listened to the punic wars episodes multiple times.  Now when I read something about them that's dry or just really dates and facts based, I have a backdrop to place the dates into.  It really has made remembering how things fit together easier, as I find it more Is easier to relate to the people after they're made real.
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly"  Proverbs 26:something or other, yes god is basically telling me I'm a vomiting eating bitch.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
One of my favorite podcasts.  "Punic Nightmares" is probably his best stuff.  I also like the episode on the Steppes people and the Navajo, I just love me some kill'n.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »
One of my favorite podcasts.  "Punic Nightmares" is probably his best stuff.  I also like the episode on the Steppes people and the Navajo, I just love me some kill'n.

The Steppes episode is my personal favorite as well.

Offline Green Ideas

• Reef Tank Owner
  • ZZZ!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
From the little I've listened to, I must say I found Dan Carlin very passionate and entertaining, but somewhat lacking in accuracy. Besides, I got the impression that he doesn't even try to be impartial.

I'm still looking for a good History podcast.

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
Like I said somewhere else his two episodes on the Eastern Front are more of hell than any Bible Thumper could dream up.  I can't wait for his next one.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Parrish

• Mark Twain:
  • Well Established
  • God did not create man, Man created God.
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:28:03 AM »
OK I actually have not looked anywhere else.

But on the Zune marketplace it only has 12-current episode list.  Does anyone know whee I can get the first 11???
man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
Mark Twain

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »
OK I actually have not looked anywhere else.

But on the Zune marketplace it only has 12-current episode list.  Does anyone know whee I can get the first 11???

I think they started charging for older ones, you have to go to the website and download it from the archive.

Offline Parrish

• Mark Twain:
  • Well Established
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »
yea I was actually hoping someone had them archived or something and could email them to me. 

Can only imagine the search reseults I get when I look for this.
man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
Mark Twain

Offline DoctorOHM

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Would you?
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »
Oh crap, seems like another podcast i have to listen to, i don't have much time to work anymore between all the 10+ padcasts that just magically appear on my iPod every day and the post whoring i have to do in this place. Well, what am i complaining about, this seems to be interesting enough to be worth listening to, thanks.
"I'm part of the form-destroying process of entropy"
"To err is human. To arr is pirate"

Offline sketchy

• Frequent Poster
  • just sketchy
    • Sketchy's Kitchen
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
I find all the episodes incredibly entertaining and informative.  the sacking of Carthage was great, and the images of the abandoned cities.  he has such great imagery with his words.

He makes history entertaining.  The Ostfront episodes are covering stuff that was mostly ignored in my history classes

You can get all the episodes - back to episode 12 on iTunes, the older ones need to be torrented, or purchased

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »
As I said on another thread, his cadence bothers me (it still does after going back to try again).
I lose track of what he's saying in the extravagant pauses he leaves in the middle of his sentence. Not good if you're doing something else while listening.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Parrish

• Mark Twain:
  • Well Established
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
As I said on another thread, his cadence bothers me (it still does after going back to try again).
I lose track of what he's saying in the extravagant pauses he leaves in the middle of his sentence. Not good if you're doing something else while listening.

actually having the same problem.
Mark Twain

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »
rise yee dead thread rise,  :science:

So WTF, I just noticed the most recent podcast claims to be 5+hours long? Is that right? I haven't tried listening it yet but wow, that's wow. why would you do that?

personate-rain