Author Topic: hardcore history  (Read 16445 times)

Offline dipling-z

• Brand New
Re: hardcore history
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 03:28:58 AM »
DTOTR was definitively an epic series. I wonder what topic he will tackle next? I'm hoping for a multi-parter on the 30-years-war, but it looks like the next few episodes will probably be standalone.

ceterum censeo ignorationem delendam

Offline burpy

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 07:07:20 AM »
And it does bear mentioning that even after the Republic died, Rome the nation-state lingered on until, depending on how you want to define it, another 600 years post-Caesar (taking the tack that the sacking of the city after Theodoric, who himself claimed to be king (rex) of Rome rather than emperor (imperator), was the end of the western Empire), 1500 years (if you are of the opinion that the Empire's capital was simply relocated to Constantinople and thus didn't fall until 1453), or close to 2 millennia (if you believe Charlemagne's hype that he simply re-asserted Roman hegemony, which puts the Holy Roman Empire as an extension of the original Roman Empire, and that didn't fall until Napoleon toppled it). So even with an increasingly crappy set of despots - at one point in the 200s CE I believe a guy literally paid his way into an emperor-ship (I also STR that he was slain within the year) - an empire as great as this can limp along for centuries.

Anyway, I personally found the last episode fascinating, although I really hope that now that Dan's done with the obviously MASSIVE amount of research he put into what is less of a podcast and more of an audiobook, he can put together HHs more often than once a quarter.

I you want to hear some more about the later Roman empire and get your history podcast fix, while waiting for the next Harcore History. Have a listen to 12 Byzantine Rulers. It´s on itunes as well.
Rejoice not at thine enemy's fall - but don't rush to pick him up either. - Jewish proverb.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 03:00:13 AM »
I've listened to around the first 3 or 4 of those. No real reason I haven't listened to the rest except that I have an Android phone and finding that podcast is a mild PITA on it.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 03:37:51 PM »
rise yee dead thread rise,  :science:

So WTF, I just noticed the most recent podcast claims to be 5+hours long? Is that right? I haven't tried listening it yet but wow, that's wow. why would you do that?

Wish it had been longer. That was awesome.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
Audiobooks are often a lot longer than 5 1/2 hours. It's a lot to put out for free, sure, but that doesn't make me complain...
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
I listened over the course of one sandcastle in two sessions over one day.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
yeah sorry if my comments came out as harsh. I was just surprised at how long it was. I listened to over a few days and agree it was a great one.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 10:03:45 PM »
http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

Every presidential candidate and for that matter every voter should listen to the latest HH, radical thoughts.

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 07:46:57 AM »
http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

Every presidential candidate and for that matter every voter should listen to the latest HH, radical thoughts.

That was really interesting and a not-so-veiled-dig-at-the-current-situation. Never knew that the Red Menace in the US dated back to the 1920's and J. Edgar predicted such a massive attack. Weird.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 08:08:29 AM »
yea I was actually hoping someone had them archived or something and could email them to me. 

Can only imagine the search reseults I get when I look for this.

I've managed to find them in two minutes on torrent sites. Your google-fu is lousy.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »
yea I was actually hoping someone had them archived or something and could email them to me. 

Can only imagine the search reseults I get when I look for this.

I've managed to find them in two minutes on torrent sites. Your google-fu is lousy.

It's not really a fair criticism, your diss’ing a two year old post and a poster who hasn't been online in over a year.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »
Ah crap, I guess I should've double-checked the date. How embarrassing.

Offline EmergentSystem

• Well Established
  • Rawr
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Because of this topic I've started listening to this podcast, beginning with the first episode available on iTunes 'cuz I'm too lazy to go searching for them elsewhere right now.

I've gotta say, the guy is really good at engaging me. I was out walking the dog, in the rain with a hood on during the dark, while listening to the second part on the fall of the roman republic, and at one moment I became completely disoriented for a couple of seconds because my mind's eye came to dominate my attention and I lost track of what I was doing. That's the first time that has happened to me with a podcast/audiobook, at least under conditions where I'm not just sitting there listening.
Dr Johnson, they said: “we are delighted to find that you’ve not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”
“Ladies, said dr Johnson, “I can congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

Offline ricree

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 11:00:13 AM »
If you get a chance, track down "Judgment at Nineveh" and "Steppe Stories", two of the better single episodes.

The earlier multipart series on the Punic Wars and the eastern front of World War 2 were really good.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »
If you get a chance, track down "Judgment at Nineveh" and "Steppe Stories", two of the better single episodes.

The earlier multipart series on the Punic Wars and the eastern front of World War 2 were really good.

Steppe Stories, and Ghosts of the Osfront are my all time favorites.  I've gone back and listened to them multiple times.

personate-rain