Author Topic: Policy on moderator / admin remonstrations  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Beleth

• Doing his part to provide an intellectually challenging environment for rational, polite discussion.
  • Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Policy on moderator / admin remonstrations
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »
THE NORTH WIND AND THE SUN
by Æsop

The North Wind and the Sun had a quarrel about which of them was the stronger. While they were disputing with much heat and bluster, a Traveler passed along the road wrapped in a cloak.

"Let us agree," said the Sun, "that he is the stronger who can strip that Traveler of his cloak."

"Very well," growled the North Wind, and at once sent a cold, howling blast against the Traveler.

With the first gust of wind the ends of the cloak whipped about the Traveler's body. But he immediately wrapped it closely around him, and the harder the Wind blew, the tighter he held it to him. The North Wind tore angrily at the cloak, but all his efforts were in vain.

Then the Sun began to shine. At first his beams were gentle, and in the pleasant warmth after the bitter cold of the North Wind, the Traveler unfastened his cloak and let it hang loosely from his shoulders. The Sun's rays grew warmer and warmer. The man took off his cap and mopped his brow. At last he became so heated that he pulled off his cloak, and, to escape the blazing sunshine, threw himself down in the welcome shade of a tree by the roadside.

This fable illustrates a truism about all attempts at persuasion: gentleness and kindness succeed more often than force and bluster do.

When you feel that you or someone else has been wronged by an action of a moderator, or that a policy of a forum is unfair, you can attempt to change it.  Whether you succeed or not often depends on the tone you take with the people in charge.  This is a fact.  Whether you like it or not, this is a basic fact of all human interaction.

Another fact about forum participation is that membership is mutually agreed upon by both you and the people who run the place.  That means that both you and the moderators have to agree that your presence on the forum is worthwhile.  If either you or they decide that it isn't worthwhile, for whatever reason, then you won't be posting on the forum any more.

If you disagree with a moderator action or a policy, discuss it in a pleasant, good-faith manner.  You may not succeed in persuading the moderator to change anything, but it's guaranteed that you will not persuade a moderator to change anything by being sarcastic and insulting.  If you are insulting enough to be disruptive, then expect to have sanctions taken against you.

As my grandma used to say, “you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.”

This policy was approved 2-0 with one abstention by the Permanent Moderation Team.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain
personate-rain