Author Topic: Dara O'Briain  (Read 7239 times)

Offline Domino

• Well Established
  • UnNatural Scientist -- BSc Hons
Dara O'Briain
« on: July 23, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »
Pretty please? He would be an awesome guest  ;D

Offline BaldySlaphead

• Brand New
Re: Dara O'Briain
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 06:23:46 AM »
He studied theoretical physics at university too.

You could do a double header with fellow comedian and solid-state physicist Ben Miller!

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:19:15 AM »
Wait, what? He's got a degree in theoretical physics? :o Damn, this guy is getting cooler by the minute. Come on, he's got to have some terrible flaw! :-\

Offline BaldySlaphead

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:13:40 AM »
He hit quite a few branches when he fell out of the ugly tree...

Offline Domino

• Well Established
  • UnNatural Scientist -- BSc Hons
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:04:50 PM »
He hit quite a few branches when he fell out of the ugly tree...

Says someone called BaldySlaphead?

Offline Ajzzz

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
Dara definitely is smart and skeptical, might become a bit of a love fest, the SGU and Dara would get on like a house on fire.

Offline Benx6444

• Frequent Poster
  • Shameless Tory Sympathizer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »
Dara definitely is smart and skeptical, might become a bit of a love fest, the SGU and Dara would get on like a house on fire.

That would be awesome! +1 for Dara on SGU!
"Oh wow... you heil your fuhrer with that mouth?"
- Teethering

"I just asked my cat, and she agrees with me.
We appear to be at a bit of an impasse."
-Black Magic

"Math is hard - guess i'd better martyr myself"
-Jihad Barbie, aka Pandamonium

"Clean your room.......Slowly."
-FX

Offline Batmaz

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »
I recently attended Cheltenham Science Festival and went to a talk with several popular sceptics such as Ben Goldacre, Simon Singh and Dara O'Briain headlining. He was absolutely hilarious and is definitely prime material for an interviewee, he totally fits into the whole SGU vibe. He also told me when I met him afterwards that he liked my 'SCIENCE: it works bitches' t-shirt ;D
"You don't like it, go somewhere else. Another universe, where the rules are simpler." [Richard Feynman]

Offline meatyphil

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »
Heck yes!  Get Dara O'Briain on the show.  I'm not sure that he could offer a lot of substance, but he'd be interesting and damn funny.

Offline DJBexbot

• Well Established
  • relaxed empiricist
    • Skeptic Ireland
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »
Being Irish, I would love to hear Dara on this show. He is very well regarded in both Ireland and the UK.
When I was growing up Dara hosted an Irish childrens show called "Echo Island" in our native tongue!
Gaeilge - Dara O'Briain (Irish Language)
Thought you might like to see an Irish chat show. The puppet hosts (Podge and Rodge) also used to be on a children's show. Which is a little disturbing with the amount of swearing going on:
Podge and Rodge Interview Dara O'Briain
The Panel is a very good topical panel (shock horror) show that might be a bit too Irish :P
He has appeared on QI with the illustrious Stephen Fry:
Dara o'Briain and the Little People
If you like him (and by that I mean slightly angry Iriah comedians) you might like Dylan Moran, but he is a little bit more drunk.

Sorry for the amount of links, but I do like this guy, and bigging up Irish skeptics!

Offline meatyphil

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »
Is it common knowledge that Irish is a language?  I had no idea!  Much less that it is still commonly used.  I really am an ignorant American.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 02:26:34 AM »
Is it common knowledge that Irish is a language?  I had no idea!  Much less that it is still commonly used.  I really am an ignorant American.

Nah, I wouldnt say its common knowledge, at least not outside of the UK.
Im part Irish (a few generations back), but to be honest I didnt know specifically about the Irish language. I knew the UK had a variety of languages from different cultures, but had only really heard of scottish "Gaelic", and hadnt thought about it much beyond that.

Interesting stuff, though.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline DJBexbot

• Well Established
  • relaxed empiricist
    • Skeptic Ireland
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 05:06:42 AM »
*falls over and faints*
Of course Irish is a language! Don't you guys have Irish pubs in the states (I was led to believe there was more than one knocking around). If there are they must have a few Irish sayings scrawled somewhere.
"Cead mile Failte", "Pog ma thoin" and all that!
How isn't it common knowledge? We may be a small island but we are distinct from the UK and mainland Europe. Own language, customs, national dress, art, music even our own sports!
Youtube an "All Ireland Hurling Final", maybe from the Irish speaking channel TG4, you'll know all about the Irish then!

And for future refence I *really* wouldn't infer that Ireland was in anyway part of the UK. I'm not a militant about these things but some Irish people get quite upset.

maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to get him on, he might explode...

Offline DJBexbot

• Well Established
  • relaxed empiricist
    • Skeptic Ireland
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:12 AM »
futility closet just supplied me with a brilliant quote for this (after this I will let sleeping dogs lie):
"An Irishman, being ask’d if he understood French? Reply’d, Yes, Joy, I understand French perfectly well, provided it’s spoken in Irish."
– The Jester’s Magazine, February 1766

the blog is complied by one of editors of the American Scientist, so I Americans do know about my obscure language!

Slan!

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »
I'm an ignorant American from the deep south.

But I knew the Irish had their own language.  I can't make any sense of it...but that's where the ignorant American comes in.

I've always wanted to learn it.  Mostly because nobody here knows it.

Here's one of my favorite children's songs of all time...that I believe is in Irish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/L0xBrPSwzsE
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

personate-rain