Author Topic: Interview Suggestion: Steve Gibson  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Ajzzz

• Seasoned Contributor
Interview Suggestion: Steve Gibson
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:23:27 PM »
I'm a geek, the geekiest podcast I listen to is not the SGU, it's Security Now! with Steven Gibson and Leo Laporte. Steve recently said he was going to do an experiment on Vitamin D production on himself. He also said he had read 50-60 journal articles on it, although he makes it clear he's not a medical professional. I thought the SGU might be interested when the subject was brought up in science of fiction. Anyway, he'll be talking about this on the next Security Now! podcast (ep. 209) it's hosted at grc.com and twit.tv.

Steve isn't involved in skepticism as far as I know, and while his job involves mathematics, logic, and science, Computer Science is definitely a softer science than the kinds I hear on the show, although I'm a relative n00b listener. Leo Laporte said Gibson is the most scientifically minded and the least superstitious person he knows, I don't have any experience of this, but I respect Leo Laporte's word.

edit:fixed links
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:23:15 PM by Ajzzz »

Offline Bounb

• Brand New
Re: Interview Suggestion: Steve Gibson
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:31:24 PM »
Yep, I also listen to Security Now!, would be cool to hear Steve on the show, this might be a good excuse for it, if not we will find another.

Offline Terzaghi

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:34:24 AM »
Steve Gibson is one smart cookie.  It sounds like he really did his research on Vitamin D, which he says is not a vitamin, but a powerful steroid hormone.

He has found allot of quality research to backup his opinions:
http://www.grc.com/health/Vitamin-D.htm

So I have to know - Is there really something to this Vitamin D thing, or has he mislead himself and Leo Laporte's huge fan base?

Offline Briresp

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »
I also think this would be good to cover.  Interesting topic-and He's well respected in his field.

Offline lovehealthsuccess

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »
I'm a loyal listener of both SGTU and all of the TWiT shows....and I'd love to hear an SGTU interview with Steve Gibson for all of the reasons others have mentioned in this thread.

CHEERS!

D

Offline Terrorskull

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
I was actually going to post or send an email to suggest this myself.  Glad I checked the forums first and found there was already a topic.  I would like to hear more on this topic on the show.  Due to lots of misinformation online and by store employees I find it hard to sort out what sort of supplements really are required/beneficial for everyone or for those of us who do workout with weight training and cardio to really get a maximum benefit.  Steve Gibson, on the other hand, I know is a smart guy who normally goes through lots of technical information and sounds like he did a lot of research on this, so I think it is worth taking a look at what he has said at least.  I hope that we can at least hear a discussion on this topic if not an interview.

Offline PaulJ

• Brand New
    • Notes from an Evil Burnee
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
I'd like to add another vote to this thread. Even if you don't get Steve Gibson on the show, it would be useful to discuss his findings and conclusions.

It might also be instructive to hear the panel's views on his method of research. His one-off podcast, The Vitamin D Story, was an entirely amateur effort by someone who describes himself as a "health hobbyist". He does not appear to be susceptible to pseudo-scientific nonsense.

Bear in mind that Steve Gibson commands an enormous amount of well-deserved respect in his own area of expertise (computer security). His podcast has a huge following, so if his arguments and conclusions about vitamin D are in any way flawed I believe he would consider it a useful service to his listeners if any such flaws were identified (I'm pretty sure he would correct them in a follow-up).

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 08:58:04 AM »
Anther fan of security now and Steve could do a nice tie in to internet security and about being "skeptical" of things on line. Leo regularly has Brian Brushwood and Dr. Kiki on TWIT. I've even heard Leo use his audible spot to plug Christopher Hitchens book "god in not great". While I don't think either are active in the skeptical community there is over lap and think it could make for a good show.

Offline Black_Magic

• Forum Troll
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Woody dies in "Toy Story 3" :o
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 12:15:10 PM »
It would definitely be an interesting interview! However, if you cannot, or do not want to interview him, PLEASE do a segment on this Vit D mumbo jumbo!

I love me some Steven Gibson, but when he dedicated a podcast to Vit D I thought to myself "This isn't going to end well", but to be honest... I have no idea if it ended well :-\
Big Brother* is watching you!

*beleth

personate-rain