Author Topic: Podcast Interview suggestions  (Read 45884 times)

Offline Disappointed

• Brand New
Re: Podcast Interview suggestions
« Reply #315 on: June 23, 2012, 01:21:51 PM »
I agree with more guests from the opposing positions (anti-vaccine proponents, psychics, creationists). First, I think it would be a test for the panel to maintain their composure and, second, would sharpen everyone's understanding of the different perspectives, which is very helpful when discussing a position.

Authors of several recent popular books such as Imagine, Compass of Pleasure, Blink, etc.

Derek Murphy, author of Jesus Potter, Harry Christ.

Jon Stewart - it would be very interesting to get his ideas on how he challenges controversial guests. This may give our community insights in to our dealings with similar guets.

Ginger Campbell from the Brain Science podcast

Deepak Chopra - let's hear from the woo practitioners

As much as I like some of the stalward guests (e.g. Phil Plait, Neil deGrasse Tysen), a broader and more controversial range of guests would deepen our understanding of their perspectives. Sometimes it seems like it's a mutual admiration society of communal back-slapping, rather than a means to challenge our thinking and sharpen our arguments.

Offline Lzrd

• Totally not the Master Misogynist
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Mangy Cur
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »

They should rather just interview Wisdom of Chopra. It'd basically be the same.

In all seriousness, I doubt interviewing Chopra would actually be productive. His vocabulary is filled to the brim with nonsense jargon that would eventually overwhelm the panel. If you could get him to dig deep on a few very specific topics, then maybe, but I doubt that's very likely.
You can get your fill of his wisdom on the intertubes already.
Such as:
In Soviet Russia, God created man.
βµπsex = sin(x)

Offline ST

• Off to a Start
« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »

They should rather just interview Wisdom of Chopra. It'd basically be the same.

In all seriousness, I doubt interviewing Chopra would actually be productive. His vocabulary is filled to the brim with nonsense jargon that would eventually overwhelm the panel. If you could get him to dig deep on a few very specific topics, then maybe, but I doubt that's very likely.
You can get your fill of his wisdom on the intertubes already.
Such as:

At least Chopra was semi-consistent. That lady was the worst member in the discussion by far. She should not have been invited. Heck Sarah Palin would have been better.

Offline uolj

• Well Established
« Reply #318 on: July 09, 2012, 01:30:42 PM »

I like Dan Kahan's and Jonathan Haidt's takes on that issue a little better (both talked to Mooney on Point of Inquiry about this somewhat recently). Either would be interesting interviews as well. And if you're worried about too much partisanship on the podcast, their takes are less divisive.

Or maybe someone like Daniel Kahneman.

Thanks, I'll listen to those interviews!

The more I think about it, the more I think Kahan would be great just talking about the science of science communication rather than anything political. I'd love to hear the rogues discuss with him findings on why people believe pseudoscience and how best to communicate the real science.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2012, 05:04:36 AM »
Jon Stewart - it would be very interesting to get his ideas on how he challenges controversial guests. This may give our community insights in to our dealings with similar guets.

from what I've seen of his show, it seems more like having an atheist invited to a church for a debate: the opponent brings up a point, then Stewart interjects his values and his audience cheers in approval and agreement with him. nothing is ever really attacked or defended.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »
I've suggested this before, but I think I would be a great guest.

Offline skepjack

• Off to a Start
« Reply #321 on: January 28, 2015, 05:18:43 PM »
Can Cara Santa Maria be the new Rebecca Watson?

Please, please, please!!!

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #322 on: January 28, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »
I've suggested this before, but I think I would be a great guest.

I invite you to state your case.  :raise:
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #323 on: February 03, 2015, 04:38:52 AM »
General Argument #1: Superdave as test control.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Cattus

• Brand New
« Reply #324 on: February 20, 2015, 11:57:27 PM »
There has been quite a bit of press on the Toronto Star article on Feb. 5, titled: “A wonder drug’s dark side”.
The latest news on this is :http://www.thestar.com/news/2015/02/20/a-note-from-the-publisher.html

I think it might be an interesting thing to talk about the article and the fallout from this in all the various media, and even perhaps interview either the original 'reporters' or the publisher. 

Offline ArtifexCr@stinus

• Brand New
« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2015, 06:28:49 PM »
Get Eliezer Yudkowsky now that he has finished his incredibly long rationalist fan fiction of Harry Potter titled Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (HPMOR). I'd love to hear you guys interview him about this story, Less Wrong, and his work in AI.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #326 on: May 03, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »
Belgian philosopher and skeptic Maarten Boudry would be an excellent choice.

Also I think Robert Todd Carroll, author of The Skeptic's Dictionary would be interesting.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #327 on: May 04, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »
Another suggestion: Jim Al-Khalili

He is the president of the British Humanist Association. Nonetheless, he is very science-focused (really, he should be in the skeptic movement).
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #328 on: May 06, 2015, 12:02:59 PM »
AronRa - teaches the problems with Creationism to Christians with his YouTube series Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism. He has also debated a woman who believes dinosaurs never existed - they're a conspiracy from the paleontologists.

Nash Bozard - has the popular "What the fuck is wrong with you" podcast where he addresses the most insane stories he and his audience can find. But he has pretty sophisticated protocols to ensure he isn't taken in by a hoax. Interviewing him about skepticism in journalism can be interesting. And he thinks "Highlander" is a pretty meh movie. That should be enough to start a conversation in itself.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline featherfour

• Brand New
« Reply #329 on: May 22, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
I would love to hear another interview with Robyn Williams. I've been listening to his radio show since I was at high school, and I guess he does for me what Bill Nye does for Americans. He's such a wonderful science communicator.

I'd also love to hear an interview with Dr Normal Swan who is also an ABC Radio National journalist. Norman is lovely to listen to and a great proponent for evidence based medicine – I'd like to know more about the difference between evidence based medicine and science based medicine.

personate-rain