Author Topic: Podcast Interview suggestions  (Read 22784 times)

Offline Benx6444

• Frequent Poster
  • Shameless Tory Sympathizer
Re: Podcast Interview suggestions
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2009, 01:40:11 AM »
Alan Sokal!!!
"Oh wow... you heil your fuhrer with that mouth?"
- Teethering

"I just asked my cat, and she agrees with me.
We appear to be at a bit of an impasse."
-Black Magic

"Math is hard - guess i'd better martyr myself"
-Jihad Barbie, aka Pandamonium

"Clean your room.......Slowly."
-FX

Offline ArtifexCrastinus

• Brand New
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
Daniel H. Wilson!!! You guys would love this roboticist! He wrote the books: Where's my Jetpack?: A Guide to the Amazing Science Fiction Future that Never Arrived, How to Survive a Robot Uprising, How to Build a Robot Army, and a few others. I don't know how the cast have missed reading his books. He's also a columnist for Popular Mechanics with a Ph.D.

www.danielhwilson.com

Offline Tadat

• Brand New
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Steven E. Landsburg and/or Michael Pollan.

Offline Oolon Colluphid

• Off to a Start
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 08:14:50 AM »
I would love to hear the panel interview Dr Karl Kruszelnicki who will be at TAM Australia

A list  from Wikipedia of the jobs and degrees he has done

"He holds degrees in mathematics, biomedical engineering, medicine and surgery. He has also studied astrophysics, computer science and philosophy. He has worked as a physicist, labourer, roadie for bands, car mechanic, film-maker, hospital scientific officer, biomedical engineer, TV weatherman, taxi driver and medical doctor."

He has also don't a lot to promote science in Australia

Offline kem

• Frequent Poster
Re: Suggestions for People to interview on the Podcast
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
Hey Panel, I'm ironically religious about listening to SGU every week and I've finally decided to get involved on the forum.

One area of life that seems terminally infected with woo is diet and exercise.
I'm a physicist and work with many scientists and I'm astonished at the myths people hold.  I'm even more astonished at the recomendations of Public Health officials who seem to be a good 20 years behind current research.

I've read some excellent skeptical reporting on the matter and I wanted to propose having Gary Taubes on for an interview.  He has written several op-eds and a book "Good calories, Bad Calories.  He also has written about scientific misconduct and the history of cold fusion. 

Hope you find him interesting as well.

Best regards,

I just finished a re-read of said tome.  They must interview Taubes. 
"Americans will always do the right thing-after they have exhausted all the alternatives."

Winston Churchill

Offline toxibunny

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2010, 03:28:28 AM »
interviewee suggestions:  Stephen Fry.  He's a busy guy, but I'm sure he could spare a half-hour for an interview.
Louis theroux.  did a series 'weird weekends' where he spent time with all sorts of strange types involved in ufos, televangelism, lots of stuff. 
oft said youtube anti-creationist stars, like thunderfoot, cristina, Laci Green (Gogreen18)...

Offline toxibunny

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2010, 03:30:06 AM »
oh, and more Mark Crislip is always nice :)

Offline JMA

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Scepticisme scientifique
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2010, 04:15:51 AM »
Sue Blackmore
Caroline Watt

Offline RandomReason

• Brand New
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2010, 10:46:11 AM »
Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt, authors of Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics. Perhaps on the proper uses and applications of statistics.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb author of Fooled by Randomness and The Black Swan. Perhaps on chance and survivorship bias.

Offline BastardSheep

• Brand New
    • Musings of a woolly dolphin.
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2010, 03:14:05 AM »
With TAM Australia coming up in late November, how about getting the audience familiar with a few of the skeptics Australia has to offer? You've already had Richard Saunders and Rachel Dunlop, but there's a lot more of us out there.

A good place to start would be Jack Scanlan (aka Naontiotami). I've actually created a petition to get him interviewed too, I hope that's not going too far.

Offline junco

• Brand New
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
Victor J. Stenger

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »
Fry would be a fun interview.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Well Established
  • mooh
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2010, 11:10:06 AM »
There's a lot of great names on this thread. Would love to hear Derren Brown and Sam Harris.

Personally, I'd like to suggest a few people who might be able to shed some light on the current stance of climate science in the scientific arena. The first would be Naomi Oreskes, who's a historian of science with a specialization in earth sciences. She currently focuses mainly on climate change and has conducted research on both the scientific consensus and the history of the skeptics movement. Or, alternatively, James Hoggan, the author of "Climate Cover-up" and founder of desmogblog.com. He's a PR expert who's taken an interest in the climate debate and he's obviously quite critical of the skeptics movement. But aside from that topic, I think he might be able to provide some interesting observations on the tactics of anti-science movements more generally (as they seem to rely more and more on PR to achieve their goals), which might give a slightly different perspective on things than usual.
Mooohn!

Offline stargazer9915

• Off to a Start
  • Real Life Road Warrior
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
Since I don't know any attorneys I can't give you a name.  I would, however, be very interested in a short interview with a skeptically sympathetic lawyer on the topic of libel and SLAPP laws and maybe some recent cases of both here in the states.  Just a thought from your friendly neighborhood truck driver.
"Christians must be sick.  Only someone who hates himself could possibly think of the pleasures of masterbation as self-abuse." - George Carlin, a comedian and social philosopher of some note.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is at TAM.
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2010, 11:46:21 AM »
They Might Be Giants
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

personate-rain