Author Topic: Podcast Interview suggestions  (Read 21088 times)

Offline Beleth

• Doing his part to provide an intellectually challenging environment for rational, polite discussion.
  • Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Podcast Interview suggestions
« on: August 20, 2009, 10:20:20 PM »
Post who you would like to hear the Panel interview on the podcast here!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:04:05 PM by Beleth »
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline fizzixs

• Brand New
Re: Suggestions for People to interview on the Podcast
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:40:30 AM »
Hey Panel, I'm ironically religious about listening to SGU every week and I've finally decided to get involved on the forum.

One area of life that seems terminally infected with woo is diet and exercise.
I'm a physicist and work with many scientists and I'm astonished at the myths people hold.  I'm even more astonished at the recomendations of Public Health officials who seem to be a good 20 years behind current research.

I've read some excellent skeptical reporting on the matter and I wanted to propose having Gary Taubes on for an interview.  He has written several op-eds and a book "Good calories, Bad Calories.  He also has written about scientific misconduct and the history of cold fusion. 

Hope you find him interesting as well.

Best regards,

Offline kem

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:12:13 AM »
Hey Panel, I'm ironically religious about listening to SGU every week and I've finally decided to get involved on the forum.

One area of life that seems terminally infected with woo is diet and exercise.
I'm a physicist and work with many scientists and I'm astonished at the myths people hold.  I'm even more astonished at the recomendations of Public Health officials who seem to be a good 20 years behind current research.

I've read some excellent skeptical reporting on the matter and I wanted to propose having Gary Taubes on for an interview.  He has written several op-eds and a book "Good calories, Bad Calories.  He also has written about scientific misconduct and the history of cold fusion. 

Hope you find him interesting as well.

Best regards,

ditto... Taubes is entirely sceptical of the diet/nutrition/obesity thing and he speaks well  in interviews... and don't start GCBC unless you are ready to deal with an extremely well searched book that will challenge lots of crap that you have been fed by the medical establishment.
"Americans will always do the right thing-after they have exhausted all the alternatives."

Winston Churchill

Offline gone

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »
I saw Alan Leslie give a talk at my University about the theory of mind and how it relates to autism.  It was fascinating stuff and since autism seems to come up a lot lately, I think the SGU audience would find his work interesting.

He has been able to demonstrate evidence that suggests autistic traits may be present in infants as young as 12 months old. 

Offline zen_arcade

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:23:32 AM »
Would absolutely love to have Sam Harris on to talk about his recent work using fMRI to study self-deception, religious faith, etc. (warning: .pdf) Sam is a brilliant thinker and writer and I think he'd be a great interview.

Another terrific guest would be Robert Sapolsky, who is, like Harris, affiliated with Stanford. Sapolsky is a biological anthropologist and neurobiologist who is probably most well-known for studying stress physiology. He also has some very interesting ideas about the role of schizotypal personalities in the evolution of religion.

Let's make it happen SGU!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:37:24 PM by zen_arcade »

Offline alcareru

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 10:12:38 AM »
Bruce Schneier of Cryptogram fame.
Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard Feynman

Offline Leto II

• Seasoned Contributor
  • My face will shine down the halls of history
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 02:23:42 AM »
David Suzuki, it'd be interesting to hear how he deals with people who don't believe in climate change.
Truth needs no defence.                       
-Neil Armstrong

Offline Grayven

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »
whoever runs snopes
They're all crazy. A few are highly functional, nothing more.

Offline matt_g

• Off to a Start
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:00:52 AM »
Based on Steve's request in the Episode 218 thread...

I'd really like to hear an interview with Kevin Warwick, Professor of Cybernetics at Reading University in Britain.

check out his wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Warwick

If you can get him on the show, I'm sure Steve and he will manage an incredibly animated discussion (just how much can Steve geek out with someone of similar interests? we MUST know ;D)

cheers.
"...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Offline efaulkjr

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »
I would LOVE to hear an interview with this blogger girl from Romania named Cristina.  I have watched several of her YouTube videos and find her to be witty and relevant.  The most recent is her response to the Kirk Cameron/Ray Comfort assault on Darwin's "Origin of Species" called "Origin of STUPIDITY" :)
Origin of Stupidity
  I don't know her last name.  If nothing else, I figured you guys would appreciate her approach to reason.

ETA:  She is intelligent AND beautiful.  What a tandem!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:31:46 PM by efaulkjr »
"A mind is a terrible, terrible thing...and should not be wasted"

Offline gone

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
Based on Steve's request in the Episode 218 thread...

I'd really like to hear an interview with Kevin Warwick, Professor of Cybernetics at Reading University in Britain.

check out his wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Warwick

If you can get him on the show, I'm sure Steve and he will manage an incredibly animated discussion (just how much can Steve geek out with someone of similar interests? we MUST know ;D)

cheers.

I had the same thoughts while listening to the podcast, in fact i think i suggested warwick to them once in a email.  I met the guy, he's insane, but really smart.

Offline rev_matt_y

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Rev Matt
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:38:34 PM »
I'd love for the panel to interview Dr Helen Caldicott.  While I disagree with her position on nuclear power she does bring a lot of rational argument to the table and when discussing things like population and food production she's fantastic.
It's not right, and it's not smart, but it's part of what makes us who we are - Red Green

Offline kem

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:35 PM »
I'd love for the panel to interview Dr Helen Caldicott.  While I disagree with her position on nuclear power she does bring a lot of rational argument to the table and when discussing things like population and food production she's fantastic.

Not a chance.  She'd eat the panel alive.
"Americans will always do the right thing-after they have exhausted all the alternatives."

Winston Churchill

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
    • http://www.evileyemonster.com
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 06:53:41 PM »
David Eagleman?

Or.... Science comedian Brian Malow?
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline pmacgowan

• Brand New
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 11:10:42 PM »
I would love you guys to interview ZOMGitsCriss , thrunderfoot or pat condell

These guys are really inspiring for the rationalists out there and it would be interesting to hear their stories.

Keep up the good work guys ...