Author Topic: Podcast Interview suggestions  (Read 22811 times)

Offline Disappointed

• Brand New
Re: Podcast Interview suggestions
« Reply #315 on: June 23, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »
I agree with more guests from the opposing positions (anti-vaccine proponents, psychics, creationists). First, I think it would be a test for the panel to maintain their composure and, second, would sharpen everyone's understanding of the different perspectives, which is very helpful when discussing a position.

Authors of several recent popular books such as Imagine, Compass of Pleasure, Blink, etc.

Derek Murphy, author of Jesus Potter, Harry Christ.

Jon Stewart - it would be very interesting to get his ideas on how he challenges controversial guests. This may give our community insights in to our dealings with similar guets.

Ginger Campbell from the Brain Science podcast

Deepak Chopra - let's hear from the woo practitioners

As much as I like some of the stalward guests (e.g. Phil Plait, Neil deGrasse Tysen), a broader and more controversial range of guests would deepen our understanding of their perspectives. Sometimes it seems like it's a mutual admiration society of communal back-slapping, rather than a means to challenge our thinking and sharpen our arguments.

Offline Lzrd

• Totally not the Master Misogynist
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Mangy Cur
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »

They should rather just interview Wisdom of Chopra. It'd basically be the same.

In all seriousness, I doubt interviewing Chopra would actually be productive. His vocabulary is filled to the brim with nonsense jargon that would eventually overwhelm the panel. If you could get him to dig deep on a few very specific topics, then maybe, but I doubt that's very likely.
You can get your fill of his wisdom on the intertubes already.
Such as:
this discussion
In Soviet Russia, God created man.
βµπsex = sin(x)

Offline ST

• Banned
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »

They should rather just interview Wisdom of Chopra. It'd basically be the same.

In all seriousness, I doubt interviewing Chopra would actually be productive. His vocabulary is filled to the brim with nonsense jargon that would eventually overwhelm the panel. If you could get him to dig deep on a few very specific topics, then maybe, but I doubt that's very likely.
You can get your fill of his wisdom on the intertubes already.
Such as:
this discussion

At least Chopra was semi-consistent. That lady was the worst member in the discussion by far. She should not have been invited. Heck Sarah Palin would have been better.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion or in politics, but it is not the path to knowledge, and there's no place for it in the endeavor of science." - Carl Sagan

Offline uolj

• Well Established
« Reply #318 on: July 09, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »

I like Dan Kahan's and Jonathan Haidt's takes on that issue a little better (both talked to Mooney on Point of Inquiry about this somewhat recently). Either would be interesting interviews as well. And if you're worried about too much partisanship on the podcast, their takes are less divisive.

Or maybe someone like Daniel Kahneman.

Thanks, I'll listen to those interviews!

The more I think about it, the more I think Kahan would be great just talking about the science of science communication rather than anything political. I'd love to hear the rogues discuss with him findings on why people believe pseudoscience and how best to communicate the real science.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2012, 04:04:36 AM »
Jon Stewart - it would be very interesting to get his ideas on how he challenges controversial guests. This may give our community insights in to our dealings with similar guets.

from what I've seen of his show, it seems more like having an atheist invited to a church for a debate: the opponent brings up a point, then Stewart interjects his values and his audience cheers in approval and agreement with him. nothing is ever really attacked or defended.
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Online superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • I am serious, and don't call me Sherly.
« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
I've suggested this before, but I think I would be a great guest.
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

My Blog!

Offline ST

• Banned
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #321 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »
Jared Diamond.

Serriously, get this guy on the show!
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion or in politics, but it is not the path to knowledge, and there's no place for it in the endeavor of science." - Carl Sagan

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
    • http://www.evileyemonster.com
« Reply #322 on: May 03, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Online Sawyer

• Off to a Start
« Reply #323 on: May 04, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
This weekend I discovered that Sam Kean has a new book coming out on neuroscience so I suspect that it would be right up Steve's alley.  I've heard him on Radiolab a few times and think he'd be a great guest to interview.  Both of his previous science books, the Violinist's Thumb and the Disappearing Spoon, had some amazing stories on genetics and chemistry.

Online Johnny Slick

• Jesus Christ HI PANDA U R HOT
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
I'm reading The Violinist's Thumb right now; it's very good. I also liked The Disappearing Spoon a lot. Kean's books have been about making science accessible, which seems right down Dr. Novella's alley.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
    • http://www.evileyemonster.com
« Reply #325 on: May 17, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »
Alex Trebek! He doesn't even know he's a Skeptic and he is one. You should have heard him on the Nerdist. AWESOME interview.

"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline caue

• Off to a Start
  • Free-Wheeling Analyst
    • cregox
« Reply #326 on: May 22, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »
Scott Adams

I suppose it's been long time since a non-skeptical has been interviewed - though I'm not sure if it's even possible to bring him.

for a moment there I thought you were talking about Adam Scott.

I don't watch sports. Unless you mean this Adam Scott, who I also didn't know until Walter Mitty.

Scott Adams is kinda crazy, he wrote God's Debris kinda attacking and complimenting skeptics at same time, but he also did Dilbert. It should be a very interesting interview.

I once wrote a question (I think it was on skeptics stackexchange - but if it was, it's now deleted and forever gone) asking about 4 points or so Scott brought on his book, and people ended up saying it was all bs. He then commented there himself, asking whoever said it was BS for clarification. It was an interesting experience, too bad I've found no evidence of it.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:00:46 AM by caue »

Offline believeitornot

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #327 on: July 02, 2014, 04:14:41 AM »
Martin J. Blaser, MD, author of the recently published book: "Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues".

I would also love to have his book reviewed at science based medicine.

personate-rain