Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 61045 times)

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Well Established
  • mooh
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #540 on: April 08, 2016, 12:17:13 PM »
In continuing the tradition of skeptical dick jokes:

I just came across this, and thought it might make for an entertaining discussion on the show:

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/china-125000000-year-old-giant-mummified-penis-baffles-scientists/

A team of paleontologists of the Linyi University’s Institute of Geology and Paleontology made an astonishing discovery, while excavating at a site in China’s Sichuan province. They unearthed a 10-meter (33 feet) long mummified penis dating back  to the Early Cretaceous period and estimated to be at least 125 million years old.

“Just like bulls, Xīyì dà yīnjīng had a fibro-elastic penis containing only a small amount of erectile tissue,” said Dr Xu, the lead author of the paper published by the researchers in the Nature magazine. “This means that there was little enlargement after erection and that penis was quite rigid, even when non-erect. Therefore, males of that species of dinosaurs, had to walk around with 10-meter long penises hanging between their legs, all the time!”

Also, "Phallosaurus". This is gold guys. Just saying.
Mooohn!

Online brilligtove

• Frequent Poster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #541 on: April 09, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »
In continuing the tradition of skeptical dick jokes:

I just came across this, and thought it might make for an entertaining discussion on the show:

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/china-125000000-year-old-giant-mummified-penis-baffles-scientists/

A team of paleontologists of the Linyi University’s Institute of Geology and Paleontology made an astonishing discovery, while excavating at a site in China’s Sichuan province. They unearthed a 10-meter (33 feet) long mummified penis dating back  to the Early Cretaceous period and estimated to be at least 125 million years old.

“Just like bulls, Xīyì dà yīnjīng had a fibro-elastic penis containing only a small amount of erectile tissue,” said Dr Xu, the lead author of the paper published by the researchers in the Nature magazine. “This means that there was little enlargement after erection and that penis was quite rigid, even when non-erect. Therefore, males of that species of dinosaurs, had to walk around with 10-meter long penises hanging between their legs, all the time!”

Also, "Phallosaurus". This is gold guys. Just saying.

This was posted on April 1st, wasn't it.

*reads article*

July 2015, huh? Was it back dated?

*reads more*

Huh.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Well Established
  • mooh
« Reply #542 on: April 09, 2016, 11:28:39 PM »
I would be very interested to hear what a neurologist has to say about psychiatry. This is a subject which would require more than the usual segment length on the podcast, but I would love it if Dr. Novella would do a longer discussion on the subject. I.e., his view, as a neurologist, of the field of psychiatry. Perhaps as Premium Content.

I also support this, btw, and not just for the Freudian dick jokes. Although, that should be a nice bonus. Maybe a theme show, together with Phallosaurus?
Mooohn!

Offline Hudson

• Brand New
« Reply #543 on: April 20, 2016, 11:56:53 PM »
Several people in my circle are talking about National Geographic/Morgan Freeman "The Story of God". I just watched the first episode and I found it less than interesting. It rehashed superstitions from around the world and in history how humans have tried to cheat death, or rather survive after death. Freeman asks some interesting questions but doesn't really challenge any answer no matter how ridiculous it sounds.

I think this topic (the NG series) is worth being discussed by the panel.
>>>
The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks  ― Christopher Hitchens
<<<<

Offline Billzbub

• Well Established
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #544 on: April 21, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »
Comparing faith-based addiction recovery programs to secular ones would make an interesting topic.

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
  • To thy own self be true.
« Reply #545 on: April 22, 2016, 07:35:30 AM »
I came across this rather... vague post today:
http://upliftconnect.com/science-proves-meridians-exist/

Then I looked up the PVS and a study related to it that the above author mentioned in the post:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2005290113002082

Would be interesting to hear Steven's thoughts on this.

Some other links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Bong-han#Primo-vascular_system
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
- Mark Twain

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #546 on: April 22, 2016, 11:29:33 AM »
I came across this rather... vague post today:
http://upliftconnect.com/science-proves-meridians-exist/

Then I looked up the PVS and a study related to it that the above author mentioned in the post:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2005290113002082

Would be interesting to hear Steven's thoughts on this.

Some other links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Bong-han#Primo-vascular_system
I showed the paper (second link) to my SO, who is working in a medical lab, studying to be a pathologist's assistant, and worked at the drug discovery lab at UF for a couple years. Response began with "what even...this is bullshit." I was then sent a link to the description of The Book from Neal Stephenson's "Anathem."

"In the Mathic Society, the Book refers to a volume consisting of twelve chapters, some number of which are assigned to be memorized as penance for infractions of the Discipline. The content of the Book is designed to be illogically annoying, and becomes exponentially more complex and difficult to memorize."

Similar, but not quite the same as "not even wrong." When I got the part about "mysterious blue dying" I tapped out.
"I don't believe you!" James Randi

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
  • To thy own self be true.
« Reply #547 on: April 25, 2016, 05:20:10 AM »
Haha... yeah well of course he'd say that... his authority as a practitioner of traditional western medicine is being undermined by this groundbreaking study! :P
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
- Mark Twain

Offline chook raffle

• Triskaidekaphilic
'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' - Darwin

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #549 on: May 07, 2016, 04:36:41 PM »
I am still incredulous that Lynn Margulis hasn't been a 'Superhero of Science".

(edit) Especially after this week's Science or Fiction.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:24:41 AM by lonely moa »
"It's the home of the brave and the land of the free
 Where the less you know the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon (Disorder in the House)

Offline Rowdyone2

• Brand New
« Reply #550 on: May 22, 2016, 12:53:23 AM »
I would like a segment titled "what we youtube" just to get an idea on what you watch on youtube....and comment on it. It doesn't need to be any other than what you like to youtube.

Offline arthwollipot

• Frequent Poster
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #551 on: May 22, 2016, 04:21:32 AM »
I would like a segment titled "what we youtube" just to get an idea on what you watch on youtube....and comment on it. It doesn't need to be any other than what you like to youtube.

While I don't want to discourage people from coming up with new ideas, this particular one would add zero value for me.
Do or do not. There is no spoon.

Only Zuul.

Offline Rowdyone2

• Brand New
« Reply #552 on: May 22, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »

While I don't want to discourage people from coming up with new ideas, this particular one would add zero value for me.

Every once in a while Bob will say "look up X on youtube it is awesome" or something like that. This would provide interest for me. But, maybe  only me....

Online brilligtove

• Frequent Poster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #553 on: May 22, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
I'd like that, especially if it was science / skeptical links and not SF/F.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't