Author Topic: M theory for Dummies  (Read 8920 times)

Offline iknownothing

• Off to a Start
M theory for Dummies
« on: September 01, 2009, 05:38:29 AM »
If M theory consists of Time + three spacial dimensions + six higher dimensions why cant light and gravity be considered two of the higher dimensions??? :-\

Offline Calvyn

• Well Established
  • Nobody is prepared for parenthood.
    • Secular Fatherhood
Re: M theory for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:36:48 AM »
1. Because the math doesn't work.

2. Because light is radiation.  Dimensions are something else entirely.

3. Because gravity is a force.  Dimensions are something else entirely.

Dimensions are the set of coordinates it takes to define everything within something.  Physicists are trying to define everything within the universe, beginning with our three dimensions we perceive and moving out to other physical dimensions.  If the math works and they are right, then hopefully the standard model of physics will come out of the equations.

Time is also described as a dimension because it can also be a set of coordinates we are moving through.

Light and gravity just don't work that way, as far as I can tell.  Of course, I'm no physicist.  You might be on to something and I'm just totally missing it.
Returning to the net after a two year absence.  Newly wed, new baby, new job, new blog.

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »
Ok, apparently I don't even have a dummy-level IQ when it comes to 'M theory'.  Anyone want to explain it for the much needed book 'M theory for f*cking retards like JoelWhy?'
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline wastrel

• Cyber Grease Monkey
  • Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • The International League of Skeptics
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »
Ok, apparently I don't even have a dummy-level IQ when it comes to 'M theory'.  Anyone want to explain it for the much needed book 'M theory for f*cking retards like JoelWhy?'

This might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_M-theory