Author Topic: Post your favorite recipies here.  (Read 15351 times)

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Re: Post your favorite recipies here.
« Reply #240 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:34 AM »
The bakeries have started selling Stollen in the last week or so here in Stuttgart.

I love it.

My wife hates it.

That's fine.  I'll eat the whole damn thing myself!

Well.  There it is.

Offline Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #241 on: November 08, 2011, 09:45:25 AM »
OK, as requested by HC here is a recipe for Stollen. I had to translate it from German (with a lot of help from my gf) and while I think we got most of the ingredient names right, there is a possibility something has been lost in translation. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to help. Also, if the instructions don't make sense, tell me and I'll try to explain clearer.

Stollen Recipe
Ingredients

1000g Flour
100g Yeast
400ml Milk
200g Sugar
12g Salt
1 Pack of vanilla sugar
Zest from 2 lemons
450g of drawn butter (clarified butter)
200g candied lemon peel
350g Sultanas
150g Currants
200g Powdered almonds

Butter
Rum
Powdered (Icing) Sugar

How to..

Leave the sultanas and currants overnight soaking in rum (or rum essence for alcohol free option).

Put the flour in a large bowl, making a small hole in the middle for half of the milk, yeast and 3 teaspoons of sugar. Knead together and then cover the bowl and leave in a warm room for an hour.

Take the mixture and add sugar, vanilla sugar, zest, salt and the drawn (clarified) butter and begin to knead. Warm the rest of the milk and add that whilst continuing to knead the dough until it no longer begins to stick to the side of the bowl. Add the almonds, candied lemon, sultanas and currants and knead some more. Cover and leave in a warm spot for two hours.

Split the dough into two loaves and bake in the oven (170° C) for 30-40 minutes until a wooden stick comes out clean.

Once cool, wrap in aluminium foil and leave in a cool dark cupboard for two weeks. Once it’s ready to eat, pour some melted butter over the stollen, sprinkle some powdered (icing) sugar and eat.

Thank you very much! It looks pretty straightforward. I had to look up a couple of things, and will be forced to make do with vanilla extract and some sugar instead of vanilla sugar, but I am picking up the ingredients to make this over the weekend. :)

As an aside, when I was looking up vanilla sugar I found it's easy to make and is clearly an ingredient in a hot vanilla drink my wife used to get in Amherst, MA that's no longer available. Thanks to you I'm one step closer to replicating something she remembers fondly but can no longer get.

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »
If anyone wants vanilla sugar....it's readily available in packets in German grocery stores....I might be able to hook someone up by christmas.    Just make a donation to SGU that matches my expenses....
Well.  There it is.

Offline astrostu

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »
If anyone wants vanilla sugar....it's readily available in packets in German grocery stores....I might be able to hook someone up by christmas.    Just make a donation to SGU that matches my expenses....
Alton Brown uses vanilla sugar a lot -- he says just take two vanilla beans, split them, and put them in a jar with a few pounds of sugar for a week or more and you have vanilla sugar (and leave them in afterwards).

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
Alton Brown uses vanilla sugar a lot -- he says just take two vanilla beans, split them, and put them in a jar with a few pounds of sugar for a week or more and you have vanilla sugar (and leave them in afterwards).

I'm far too busy splitting vanilla beans, dropping them in bottles of vodka, and then making the best vanilla cokes ever with them to worry about sugar.....(that one came from Alton too)
Well.  There it is.

Offline Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #245 on: November 08, 2011, 01:55:40 PM »

I'm far too busy splitting vanilla beans, dropping them in bottles of vodka, and then making the best vanilla cokes ever with them to worry about sugar.....(that one came from Alton too)

It's amazing how much vodka a single vanilla bean can flavor. Some of the directions I found for making vanilla sugar recommends using beans that are left over from other uses, like in a custard. The idea seems to be to get a bit more use out of an otherwise tired bean.

http://bakingbites.com/2007/05/how-to-make-vanilla-sugar/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/vanilla-sugar-recipe/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_sugar

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a Russian!
« Reply #246 on: November 08, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »
The recipe for a real daiquiri came from Alton too.

Two parts rum
One part lime
Half part simple sugar

My favorite drink these days oh shit grapefruit on the way, salty dawgs!
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2011, 03:02:21 AM »
The recipe for a real daiquiri came from Alton too.

Two parts rum
One part lime
Half part simple sugar

My favorite drink these days oh shit grapefruit on the way, salty dawgs!

My wife and I invited some friends over for Margaritas this summer, and some of them were quite distressed that we were serving them actual on the rocks margaritas not slushy sugary yuckiness.....till they tasted them....win.
Well.  There it is.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2011, 06:47:40 AM »
I was going to say it sucks that you can't get a real daiquiri at a restaurant, but I could order a mojito without the mint!
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • All Board Access
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
    • Fetlife
« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »
Carnitas

Two pork Boston butts/rump roast/whatever giant cut you want to use.
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Brine:
Lots of water
1 cup brown sugar
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1/4 cup vinegar (I used rice vinegar because that's what I happen to have)

Spice rub:
4 tbsp garlic powder
4 tbsp pepper
4 tbsp paprika
4 tbsp chipotle chili powder
4 tbsp smoked salt

Brine the pork butt over night.  Early the next day, preheat the oven to 225 Fahrenheit.  Drain the pork, cut into 3 - 5 inch cubes, removing a fair amount of the fat.  Mix together all of the spices in a separate bowl.  You will want to use a pan that just barely fits all of the pork.  I used a smaller stock pot, but I'm sure a casserole dish or other similar implement will work as well.  The key is to just barely be able to fit all the pork in the pan.  Drop the cubes into the spice mix and make sure each cube is generously coated with the mixture.  Drizzle each layer of pork with a little bit of the oil.  When the pan is full, drop the rest of the oil on top.  Cover and cook for 6 - 8 hours.  Remove the pork butt from the pan and drain onto paper towels to let cool.  Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil and set your oven to broil.  Using a knife, several forks, or other various pointy instruments, shred the pork into tiny chunks and spread out over the cookie sheet.  Broil until the top is crispy.  You can stir the meat and broil until crispy again.  It just depends on how crispy you like your meat.  Serve in what ever way you like your carnitas served.  I mixed half of them with salsa and cheese and made tamales out of them.  They are currently cooking, so I'm not sure if they are any good yet.
http://www.facebook.com/Auzauviir  <-- Play Scrabble with me!

gplus.to/karynwittmeyer

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »
Updated.

Antelope Tostadas David "Stubb" Oswald
Avocado soup Karyn
Bacon Gravy Skepdad
Bacon Wrapped Barbecue Shrimp Lead Farmer
Bacon, Homemade, lean Chew
BBQ Brisket Karyn
Beef Barley Soup Hanes
Beef Chimichurri whtedevilbrewing
Beef, Braised Bacony Chew
Best Baked Mac n Cheese Ever Halloran
Best Peanut Butter Cookies moj
Blue Crush seaotter
Braised Pork Chops AlsakaGrown
Bread and Butter pudding A COMLEAT FAKE ! Spiny
Breakfast Omelette kem
Brown sauce seaotter
Bulgogi Chew
Cheese straws seaotter
Chicken and 40 Clove Garlic Soup Alisha
Chicken Garlic Chicken with White Wine Sauce KarenX
Chicken Parmesan BoBethy
Chicken Piccata Dirty J. Martini
Curry roasted cauliflower Karyn
Curry Roasted Veggies Karyn
Dessert Cups Halloran
Egg Rolls seaotter
English Muffins Halleyscomet/Wakefield
Fish, no name recipe Traveler
Fish: Broiled Fish Parmesan Nacreous
Fried Cheese Burger sordid
Gooey Butter Cake KarenX
Grape Crush Belgarath
Hangtown Frittata Chew
Hash brown Casserole seaotter
Hobo Scampi Chew
Ice cream: The Daddy Cone evil eye
Insanely Easy Karyn
Jezebel KarenX
Karyn's Pork Butt
Logan Martin Cucumber Salad seaotter
Mac and Cheese baked Jack R.
Meat Pie Karyn
Meringue Cookies KarenX
Mississippi Mud Sorbet Chew
Monster Egg Halleyscomet/Wakefield
Moroccan Meatloaf KarenX
Mussels steamed slicendice
Naan Manjula
Olive Tepanade Karyn
Onion and Swiss cheese spaghetti sauce Chew
Oxtail casserole kem
Pasta Carbonara Skepdad
Peanut Butter Pork Chew
Peanutbutter ice cream goo Copernic
Phylo Pie Karyn
Pizza whitedevilbrewing
Playdough Chew
Pork Fried Rice Karyn
Pumpkin soup KarenX
Ramen Noodles IamNintendo
Ravioli or something iwantbatteries
Ribs, the best way seaotter
Salade Nicoise KarenX
Salmon Chowder Smokeless Chew
Salsa Karyn
Sausage stuffed acorn squash Karyn
Shrimp Scampi Pizza Chew
Sloppy Joes II Lead Farmer
Smoked Mussel Stuffed Mushrooms Karyn
Smoothy, The Best SnarlPatrick
Spice Rub for Beef Chew
Sticky Chicken RyanSchwieger
Stollen DG
Super tasty cheese stuffed chicken Karyn
Thai Basil Chicken astrostu
Tom Ka Gai base low fat Chew
Tropical Black Beans and Rice KarenX
Tuna, Almond Crusted Seared Ahi Karyn
Turkey Burgers Evil Eye
Vegan Tofu Cheesecake AxeGrrl
Vegetable dip seaotter
Vegetarian chili KarenX
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #251 on: December 31, 2011, 11:44:51 PM »
Here is another Carnita Recipe. 

Homesick Texan Carnitas
Adapted, just barely, from The Homesick Texan Cookbook

3 pounds boneless pork shoulder or pork butt, cut into 2-inch cubes
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice (from about 2 to 3 limes)
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste

Corn tortillas, for serving plus
Avocado slices, chopped cilantro and fixings of your choice (we love pickled jalapenos or onions, lime wedges and a bit of slaw)

Place the pork in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot. Add the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt and enough water to just barely cover the meat. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for two hours. Don’t touch the meat.

After two hours, increase the heat to medium-high and while occasionally stirring and turning the pieces, continue to cook for about 45 minutes, or until all of the liquid has evaporated, leaving only the rendered pork fat. Let it sizzle in this fat long enough to brown at the edges, turning pieces gently (they’ll be eager to fall apart), only as needed.

When pork has browned on both sides, it’s ready. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve on warmed tortillas with fixings.

My Baked Mac and Cheese.  (No Measurements, just wing it)

Pour Mexican Creama into a sauce pot on a very low simmer, just enough to warm the sauce. (Double Boiler works too if you have one)

Add Pepper, Salt, Cumin, Mexican Oregano, Teaspoon of Moroccan Harissa (or any type of chili paste) and a Teaspoon of Stone ground Mustard.

Begin mixing in your favorite Melting Cheeses (I use Shredded Jack & Cheddar) until sauce thickens and gets a bit stringy.

Season Sauce to Taste as it Warms.

Toast some Panko in butter.

Boil some Orecchiette Pasta (it holds the sauce really well) till done.  Mix Pasta and Sauce in a baking dish, coat with shredded cheese and the toasted panko and bake at 350 till brown and bubbly. 

People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #252 on: March 09, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »
I been playing with picking garlic ever since I learned how to peel the fuckers. I cut then into pinky segment sized pieces. Heat equal parts green olive brine and lemon juice, with lots of Italian herb and celery salt to boiling. Then blanch the garlic for thirty seconds then let that pickle with equal amounts of olives, and couple splashes of olive oil and the boiling mixture.

Any ideas?

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
Peel a banana, cut a slit in it, toss in some chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, or other random goodies, wrap in foil, grill for a few minutes on each side, or until goodies are melted, eat with a spoon.

She stole your idea!

Banana Boats BBQ Recipe

Sue her ass!
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2012, 10:20:20 PM »
This sounds so good. 

Probably works with peppers too. 
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.