Author Topic: Website (theskepticsguide.org) Change suggestions  (Read 11354 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Website (theskepticsguide.org) Change suggestions
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »
How can http://www.theskepticsguide.org be improved upon?

NOTE - If you want to suggest how the Forum can be improved upon, post it in this thread instead.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:19:03 PM by Beleth »
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
Re: Website Change suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »
A search function. Often I've tried to find a pocast where they discussed a topic and rarely does the archive page notes help.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:15:03 PM »
A search function. Often I've tried to find a pocast where they discussed a topic and rarely does the archive page notes help.

There is a search funtion at the top of the page.  What additional functionality do you want it to have?

Offline borrofburi

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
I don't know why, but when I try to use the website's RSS xml files the option to use google reader is not present. I have confirmed this is unique to http://www.theskepticsguide.org/ I can even RSS to the forums using google, but not on the main page.

I am perhaps just misunderstanding something, it wouldn't be the first time, but I imagine there are those even less technically inclined than I for whom this is a significant problem.

Offline Anachronism

• Sudo believe my RC
  • Well Established
  • Posts only in mafia games
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 08:47:31 AM »
Fix the fallacy page!

-Circular reasoning is the argument that utilises tautologies, not the other way around. If A=B is assumed to be true then B=A is (of course) true, and it's the incorrect assumption that makes it a fallacy.
-Tu quoque is not 'justifying wrong actions' but more about discrediting your opponent argument by claiming their position is inconsistent (i.e. it's wrong for the USA to accuse Muslims of terrorism while funding the IRA). Two wrongs make a right is the more common name for the fallacy that goes "Bob may be wrong but so was George".
-Begging the question is not at all the major unstated premise but actually circular reasoning.
-Inconsistency is not even an argument, but a style of argument?

This isn't even all of it, just a quick read through. :(

Offline mattrogers

• Off to a Start
    • The Observer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
Next year make a proper poll for the end of year rap up and have a link to it on the front page of the website so everyone can vote. Also tell everyone on the podcast before so they all know its up.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits." - Albert Einstein

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »

There is a search funtion at the top of the page.  What additional functionality do you want it to have?

Well, to be truly useful to the fans you'd need some kind of system to tag an episode with a bunch of keywords. If you're looking for the segment in which Steve and Rebecca rap about a bird's gizz, for example, the show notes aren't going to help you.
I know no one has time to go back through the episodes and distill a list of key topics for each one, so you'd have to allow the users to add the tags, and a privileged class of mods to edit them.
Just dreamin' here.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline dusdusdus

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »
Please have the skeptical quotes at the end of each episode on an RSS feed so I can link to them.

Offline josificus

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
Less flash.

Offline TheLostVertex

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »
Less flash.

Flash: The most standard unstandard around.

Offline Dr.PastaMaker

• My Pasta is Greattt!
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • Ph.D Pastamaking, Class of Spaghetti Omega
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
Less flash, more html5  ;D
Science is amazing. Science is so amazing that if you were to try and disprove Science, you would have to use Science to do it.

Offline Gabor

• Off to a Start
  • President - Hungarian Skeptic Society
    • X-Aknak (X-Wiles - in Hungarian)
email address is not working
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 12:01:56 PM »
Hi,

I try to send email to info@theskepticsguide.org (that address is advertised on the web page for contact), but I get error for several days. The error text is as follows:

The original message was received at Tue, 17 Aug 2010 05:16:40 -0400 from mail43.atl.registeredsite.com [209.237.134.233]

*** ATTENTION ***

This email is being returned to you because the remote server would not or could not accept the message. The registeredsite servers are just reporting to you what happened and are not the source of the problem.

The address which was undeliverable is in the section labeled:
  "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----".

The reason your mail is being returned to you is in the section labeled:
  "----- Transcript of Session Follows -----".

This section describes the specific reason your e-mail could not be delivered.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to your e-mail administrator.

--Registeredsite Postmaster

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <jay@bearclawsoftware.com>

----- Transcript of session follows ----- <jay@bearclawsoftware.com>... Deferred: Connection refused by bearclawsoftware.com.
Message could not be delivered for 6 hours Message will be deleted from queue

Offline Unlimited

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 06:56:29 PM »
Omg, Omg, I found a typo!

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/resources/logicalfallacies.aspx

Argument from final Consequences
Such arguments (also called teleological) are based on a reversal of cause and effect, because they argue that something is caused by the ultimate effect that it has, or purpose that is serves. Christian creationists have argued, for example, that evolution must be wrong because if it were true it would lead to immorality. One type of teleological argument is the argument from design. For example, the universe has all the properties necessary to support live, therefore it was designed specifically to support life (and therefore had a designer).

I feel special.
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." -Julius Caesar

Offline The Dog Delusion

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 03:19:41 AM »
Perhaps, in the episode archives page, there should be a link from each episode's notes page to the discussion thread on the forums. I know that I can just search on the forums, but with all the other info packed on the notes page, it wouldn't be that hard to include an extra link that goes directly to the page.

Offline baconmaster

• Brand New
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 07:58:53 AM »
Overall website background color...
Sorry to criticize your choice of colors (style sheet) for the SGU website.  Not only are black/dark backgrounds very passe, but they are hard on the eyes.  Try reading the SGU site for a while then flipping over to a site like wikipedia.  ouch!
SGU is wonderful and unique enough for its content.  It doesn't have to have a throwback style to a decade ago when "cool" developers were reflecting their inner dark sides with dark designs.
Thanks!

personate-rain