Author Topic: Website (theskepticsguide.org) Change suggestions  (Read 11700 times)

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
Re: Website Change suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »
Overall website background color...
Sorry to criticize your choice of colors (style sheet) for the SGU website.  Not only are black/dark backgrounds very passe, but they are hard on the eyes.  Try reading the SGU site for a while then flipping over to a site like wikipedia.  ouch!
SGU is wonderful and unique enough for its content.  It doesn't have to have a throwback style to a decade ago when "cool" developers were reflecting their inner dark sides with dark designs.
Thanks!

Profile > Look and Layout > Current Theme: SGU Dark (change) > find desired look > click on "use this theme"
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
Re: Website Change suggestions
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
That layout change is only an option on the forums, not the SGU website.

Offline dhawley

• Brand New
Re: Website (theskepticsguide.org) Change suggestions
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
The show notes are great, but has anyone considered transcripts? It seems like it could be a lot of work, but with a large fan base and a little technical know-how it seems like we should be able to easily crowd-source it. The value would be 1) much richer indexing of the show by major search engines and 2) the ability to more easily quote and reference things said on the show. I'd be willing to contribute some time to this, anyone else?

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
Hell, no.

Just today I was looking for speech to text converters for just this reason. The good looking ones cost money.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline eliensign

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 09:45:12 PM »
Somewhere on the website and/or forum there should be a list of all the "Who's that Noisy?" segments, the sound files, and the answers.  This way my non-podcast-listening friends can enjoy the instant gratification of playing the game without enduring the trauma of figuring out how their iPods function.  :)

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 12:20:59 AM »
Just a thought here.   Uploading shows as YouTube 'videos' (you don't have to have any video, a graphic or blank page will work) would allow both greater audience and the functioning CC software on YT will provide a transcript.   Not a perfect one of course, but it's free and easy.
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 01:18:30 AM »
OK cancel that.  I checked and the auto CC would be a horrible idea.  Unless you like funny translations chock full of errors.
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline Skeptic

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • skype bumchuzzler
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:51 PM »
Firstly the Chemtrails 5x5 podcast is unavailable.  It's June 14 2010.   SGU5x52010-06-14.mp3

And secondly you might want to put a link from the forums to the website.  Simply make the logo graphic a link.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »
Just a thought here.   Uploading shows as YouTube 'videos' (you don't have to have any video, a graphic or blank page will work) would allow both greater audience and the functioning CC software on YT will provide a transcript.   Not a perfect one of course, but it's free and easy.

Good point. My impression is that most people don't really listen to podcasts. For this kind of time-killing/infotainment, Youtube is still the first-stop-shop among most...

OK cancel that.  I checked and the auto CC would be a horrible idea.  Unless you like funny translations chock full of errors.

I definitely want to see this.

Offline zouhair

• Brand New
RSS problem
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »
Hi,

I didn't know where to post this, so I hope this is the best place for this question.

I use gpodder to handle my podcasts, it take care of the update and I connect my sansa every day to synchronize and it works great.

But some one or two months now something changed on the SGU feeds that made gpodder badly name the folder for just SGU feeds, now I have the RSS URL as folder name which used to be "The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe" now it's "http___www.theskepticsguide.org_feed_rss.aspx_feed=SGU" which is essentially the RSS URL.

You can see it at my list of podcasts, the only ones badly named are the SGU ones.

I don't know what changes have been made to the RSS, but something is wrong in there.

I hope I was clear enough.

Thanks for all the hard work and I hope it'll be fixed :)

Zouhair

Offline gs

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • SkepticEvents.com
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »
this suggestion is both for the SGU forums and the main SGU site.

It would be really cool to create a membership tier (could be done with the different donation amounts - $1/episode = bronze level, $2/episode = silver level, etc, etc) and have an icon representing each membership level next to each member's name on the forums.  This would require an integration of the SGU forums and the SGU main site, which may or may not be difficult.

but doing something like this would be a great way to promote donations imo :)

Offline Gauntlet

• Brand New
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
The homepage ad keeps advertising natural therapy school enrolling.
I realised I was God when it suddenly occurred to me, as I was praying, that I was talking to myself.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »
I've noticed that when clicking on the "Download Podcast" link from android it sometimes only will bring it up in a media player.  I don't know if this is just something weird on my phone or not, but there are other podcasts I listen to with similar links that work as I expect it to by popping up an option for listening in the player or downloading it.

Offline Daniel

• Off to a Start
    • @thedenial
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »
I've noticed that when clicking on the "Download Podcast" link from android it sometimes only will bring it up in a media player.  I don't know if this is just something weird on my phone or not, but there are other podcasts I listen to with similar links that work as I expect it to by popping up an option for listening in the player or downloading it.

There's a response header that can be set server side in order to force a file to be downloaded with a save as prompt rather than being opened with a default program, for now instead of clicking the link long hold on it and save link does the trick, it'll then show up in the music player.

Offline ufo

• Off to a Start
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 01:34:57 AM »
Steam Punk background !    :)
The spiteful and smiteful Abrahamaic God is the most unpleasant character in all of fiction.

I don't have a god-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a reason-shaped hole in your head!

From The Onion:  "God answers paralyzed boy's prayer.  Gods answer: 'No!'  "

personate-rain