Author Topic: The Skeptics' Guide is brought to you by...  (Read 18990 times)

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
The Skeptics' Guide is brought to you by...
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »
The SGU is considering inserting one ad into the podcast and we would like to know what listeners think of this idea.

The ads would be on-topic, (promoting, say, World Science and Skepticism Magazine) last approximately 20-30 seconds and be inserted mid-podcast.  Perhaps before or after the interview segment.  The ad segment itself would be done by Steve, or one of the panelists, so no random voice.

I'm sure you're all aware how much work goes into the production of the SGU and all our other endeavours including blogs and skeptical conferences.  This has the potential of helping with, and expanding upon, these endeavours.

We're very interested in how our listeners would take this. And we would take all your feedback very seriously as it will be the driving factor in our decision.  This thread will be viewed very regularly in the next week or two by all panelists, so let us know.

Thanks,
Steve, Jay, Rebecca, Bob and Evan

... and Mike. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:03:15 PM by Mike »
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
Re: The Skeptics' Guide is brought to you by...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »
That sounds eminently reasonable.

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
That sounds eminently reasonable.
Seconded.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:05:24 AM »
No problem at all, especially if it is for some valuable products, like scientific or skeptical magazines - or chocolate...

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »
No problem at all, especially if it is for some valuable products, like scientific or skeptical magazines - or chocolate...

I wonder if there's such a thing as skeptical beer...

Offline Proto

• Many of them supposed him to be a drunk gambler
  • Well Established
  • Neither them nor us
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »

Naturally a project like this needs funds - so I wouldn't have a problem with this at all - but wouldn't like it to be the start of .... ahem..... a slippery slope (:D) where the adverts became longer than 20-30 secs.

I guess it would also depend on what products were being advertised. You may ultimately find your principles challenged by the prospect of ready cash.

I also think the SGU should make some more direct appeals from the listeners/forum members to encourage contributions. Explaining what the costs are, how the money is used, what structures/checks are in place, whether the accounts are ahead of or behind budget etc. are all important aspects of encouraging folks to part with cash and ensuring funding.

"If you wish to advance into the infinite, explore the finite in all directions", Goethe

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:10:56 PM »
I also think the SGU should make some more direct appeals from the listeners/forum members to encourage contributions. Explaining what the costs are, how the money is used, what structures/checks are in place, whether the accounts are ahead of or behind budget etc. are all important aspects of encouraging folks to part with cash and ensuring funding.

I don't mind NPR style ad placements. I do NOT want NPR style donation drives...

As for the lure of ready cash, I think SGU is in an interesting position there. Most of the advertising options that would challenge their values would also be very likely to drive away the listener base. That said, I think we'd all get a kick out of the irony of, for example, an ad for a homeopathic product in the middle of an episode ripping homeopathy to shreds.

"And now we come to the part of the program where Sylvia Brown pays us money for ripping her to shreds for the last 20 minutes."

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
Yeeeaaaah... not terribly thrilled about this, especially the idea of an ad in the middle of the podcast, but I guess I could live with it. The SGU has been delivering quality content for years, so I have no problem with shutting down my ears for thirty seconds if they get money for it.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
Sounds fine to me.

Offline Proto

• Many of them supposed him to be a drunk gambler
  • Well Established
  • Neither them nor us
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 02:21:35 PM »

I don't mind NPR style ad placements. I do NOT want NPR style donation drives...

Oh yeah? OH YEAH? Well lucky then I give enough for both of us buddy. Cheapskate.

;)
"If you wish to advance into the infinite, explore the finite in all directions", Goethe

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »
I can hear it now; "The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe is brought to you by the letter Jay and the number 5x5."  :laugh:
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 02:27:23 PM »
My only other suggestion would be to make sure the ad changes.  Listening to the same ad every week for a year is a disservice to everyone involved.  I had to quit listening to the COI podcast because they had the same ad every single time.  I got through about 60 episodes before I went insane.

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »
Audible sponsors a bunch of podcasts....ever thought of approaching them? There are a lot of bookish folk who listen to this podcast, and you could offer your listeners a deal of some kind.

Otherwise, I have no objection to short, simple "thanks to so-and-so for sponsoring us, they sell yadda-yadda, we like them, check them out." I'd prefer that the gang didn't go to canned commercials, because they annoy the f*** out of me, and they might drive off new listeners. Otherwise, have at it! Make money! Grow bigger!! :)

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
I suppose it had to happen sometime.
You mean you guys don't already get paid for promoting the heck out of TAM, the JREF credit card, Mythbusters, and George Hrab?  :)
We'll let you know if the advertising becomes too obnoxious.

My only other suggestion would be to make sure the ad changes.  Listening to the same ad every week for a year is a disservice to everyone involved.  I had to quit listening to the COI podcast because they had the same ad every single time.  I got through about 60 episodes before I went insane.

So true.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

personate-rain
personate-rain