Author Topic: The Skeptics' Guide is brought to you by...  (Read 19650 times)

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: The Skeptics' Guide is brought to you by...
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »
My only other suggestion would be to make sure the ad changes.  Listening to the same ad every week for a year is a disservice to everyone involved.  I had to quit listening to the COI podcast because they had the same ad every single time.  I got through about 60 episodes before I went insane.

Really? You stopped listening to POI, and you blame it on the ad?  Your player of choice very likely has a FF button on it.

But Karyn does have a point: let's not have the same recorded segment for the next 80 weeks.  Switching it up every month or two will prevent people from hitting FF. 
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »
Really? You stopped listening to POI, and you blame it on the ad?  Your player of choice very likely has a FF button on it.

It's the only way I can get through the three minute ad spots on the TWiT network.

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
I'm OK with this.  Especially if they change different ads over time.

I don't think there's a risk of slippery slope since it states that one of the regular cast members will be actually performing the commercial.  Can you see Rebecca performing an ad for the Bill O'Reily show on Fox?  That would rock.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Artemisia

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
I think we all like that the podcast doesn't have ads but listeners are also hopefully intelligent enough to know that these things require some funding and given the choice between a 30 sec ad that you can fast forward through anyway, and coughing up your own hard cash, I know which I would choose.
quot;I am in favour of censorship - not against what is supposed to be sexy or dirty, but against what is idiotic"
Jean Renoir

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
Resigned voice of Rebecca Watson.

Our sponsor tonight is the O'Reily factor.  Weeknight on Fox news at 10PM eastern.  Every night Bill gives us his...[cough]mindless[cough]... views of today's top stories.  Enter the No Sense..umm..Spin zone for your filtered...I mean unfiltered news.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline GoodDerf

• Frequent Poster
  • Accidental King Math
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »
Or Rebecca doing an ad for phone sex, that would be hawt :laugh:. In all seriousness I have no problem with it as long as they don't do the canned ads.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 04:31:19 PM »
My only other suggestion would be to make sure the ad changes.  Listening to the same ad every week for a year is a disservice to everyone involved.  I had to quit listening to the COI podcast because they had the same ad every single time.  I got through about 60 episodes before I went insane.

But Karyn does have a point: let's not have the same recorded segment for the next 80 weeks.  Switching it up every month or two will prevent people from hitting FF.

Much of the time I'm listening to podcasts, I'm working out or doing something else that makes stopping and fast forwarding really annoying or impossible.  Usually having to do that annoys me just as much as the ad.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »
As long as none of the rogues have to read the ad it would be ok. If they're shilling for something it would make listening to the podcast very difficult.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 06:01:56 PM »
Make Jay read the ad in his quote of the week voice and all will be well.

A 20-30 second ad in the middle of the podcast (say just before the interview) would be fine.  Go for it guys.

I do think it is important to address it a podcast or two before you start the ad so that the people who listen and who DON'T visit the forums are aware.
#notarealskeptic

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 10:13:31 PM »
I don't think there's a risk of slippery slope since it states that one of the regular cast members will be actually performing the commercial.  Can you see Rebecca performing an ad for the Bill O'Reily show on Fox?  That would rock.

So we don't have to worry about any Head-On commercials?

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 10:17:20 PM »

"Head-On!
Apply palm directly to the forehead!"

:obama: :ughh:

Offline Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 11:22:19 AM »

"Head-On!
Apply palm directly to the forehead!"

:obama: :ughh:

Best use of Facepalm Evah!

:waycool:

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »
Fine wit me
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 02:36:13 PM »
As long as none of the rogues have to read the ad it would be ok. If they're shilling for something it would make listening to the podcast very difficult.

They already shill for JREF (the credit card, TAM), skepchick (the calendar), not to mention promoting Sci-Am, Mythbusters, P&T Bullsh!t or whatever show/magazine/blog whenever they have a guest on.

What would be crossing a line for you? Reading from a script?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Esc

• Never stoppin' debunker
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Are we ready to roll?
    • Skeptics United
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 03:57:32 PM »
Nothing against it. I might even be interested to purchase something if the ads do really change over time and multiple products are introduced :]

personate-rain