Author Topic: The Skeptics' Guide is brought to you by...  (Read 19639 times)

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
Re: The Skeptics' Guide is brought to you by...
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 08:03:46 PM »
Obviously I don't think it's an improvement, but if it'll allow you to put out more content and sponsor more things (more mini-TAMs and the like?) then I'm for it.

Offline Hyperion

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • The Man - The Myth - The Magic!
    • Pro-Vaccine, Pro-Evolution, Pro-Science Stuff
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks they should do subliminal advertisements just for the irony and humor?
Keeping an open mind is a virtue—but not so open that your brains fall out. - -James Oberg "

Pro-Vaccine, Pro-Evolution, Pro-Science Stuff

Offline willz

• Well Established
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:40 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks they should do subliminal advertisements just for the irony and humor?

That and product placement's

"Oh Crap! I spilled delicious, refreshing coke all over my keyboard! Now where will i get a tasty flavor kick?"
"Some factual information for you. Have you any idea how much damage that bulldozer would suffer if I just let it roll straight over you?"
"How much?" said Arthur.
"None at all."

Offline rebecca

• Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.skepchick.org
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »
Who's Rachael?
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline rebecca

• Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.skepchick.org
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2009, 08:43:42 PM »
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline CharlieRose

• Off to a Start
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 08:08:41 PM »
I like the idea of advertisements, because it helps ensure SGU will continue into the future.  Also, the more resources SGU has, the broader its outreach potential becomes.  Bring on the commercials.

But I'd also prefer the advertisers are relevant to the podcast.  Personally, I'd be more likely to buy a skeptically-inclined product or service, so yet another Audible ad would just be a waste of time.

Offline Empiricaldeity

• Off to a Start
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »
Audible sponsors a bunch of podcasts....ever thought of approaching them? There are a lot of bookish folk who listen to this podcast, and you could offer your listeners a deal of some kind.

Otherwise, I have no objection to short, simple "thanks to so-and-so for sponsoring us, they sell yadda-yadda, we like them, check them out." I'd prefer that the gang didn't go to canned commercials, because they annoy the f*** out of me, and they might drive off new listeners. Otherwise, have at it! Make money! Grow bigger!! :)

I would also recommend you guys see if you can get audible.com to pay you for adds. I am sure they have a lot of science and maybe even skeptical audio books. You can give your personal recommendations which makes the adds a bit different.

I have heard audible.com on two other podcasts (This week in Tech & Dan Carlin - Common Sense) and i actually enjoy listening to the add because they recomment the stuff they personally like.

Offline Empiricaldeity

• Off to a Start
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 09:26:07 PM »
I also heard another podcast mention a deal they do with Amazon.com that has an embedded Amazon window or something on the podcast website and if anyone buys products on Amazon after clicking through on the window on the website, then Amazon gives a percentage of the sale money to them.

Maybe if you have recommendations on some skeptics books and people buy them on Amazon from your website then you can make some money on the side?

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 09:34:29 PM »
I also heard another podcast mention a deal they do with Amazon.com that has an embedded Amazon window or something on the podcast website and if anyone buys products on Amazon after clicking through on the window on the website, then Amazon gives a percentage of the sale money to them.

Maybe if you have recommendations on some skeptics books and people buy them on Amazon from your website then you can make some money on the side?

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/resources/book.aspx

Offline Empiricaldeity

• Off to a Start
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »

Excellent. glad they heard my advice and implemented that feature so quickly. :D

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »

Excellent. glad they heard my advice and implemented that feature so quickly. :D

LOL

Offline Nigel

• Seasoned Contributor
  • One man, one opinion
    • The Skeptical Review
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »
You have to pay the bills, you have to pay the bills.  I would only suggest that whatever the product just work it into the show ala TWIT, and say a few nice things about Audible or whoever it is.  Playing some canned ad each week is far worse for the flow of the show. 

I do not necessarily think the product has to be skeptically or science related at all, but it probably should not be for "Head On" or anti-toxin footpads.  :)