Author Topic: The Skeptics' Guide is brought to you by...  (Read 10537 times)

Offline Scybert

• Off to a Start
Re: The Skeptics' Guide is brought to you by...
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »
Could you at least ask for donations on the podcast (don't think I've heard of them)?  You could thank the top donors as well (only if they request and are reasonable about it).

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Local Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mainah's
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »
I'm fine with ads, but FWIW, I prefer when they're pre recorded by someone not on the podcast - it can be jarring to hear the hosts switch from 'banter' to 'scripted sales pitch'.

+1

+1 I don't like the "casually drop the sponsor's name" approach we had this weekend.
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Offline Skeptic

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • skype bumchuzzler
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »
The advertising sort of worked on me this week.  I already had psychopath test, and because I already have an audible account and maybe being in the UK it would have been a moot point .  However I did add Michael Shermer's book  to my wishlist and will be listening to that after my cuurent one.

I think that it would be reasonable for Steve to advertise his lecture series regularly and maybe more often.  Maybe once every 3 shows or whenever there is a gap in people requesting advertising spots.  Or really as often as you like because it is your podcast.

Maybe possible advertisers like New scientist, Omni and the like would be good candidates.  Fortean times even, in a "This is what people believe" way of selling it.

There are the companies that manufacture or just sell study aids, and science equipment.  Maybe the advertisers can offer a discount at whatever store online sale.

Just some suggestions.

Online Johnny Slick

• Jesus Christ HI PANDA U R HOT
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
I liked the commercial and TBH I think you should if anything try to incorporate it into the show *more*. For example, instead of just kind of casually mentioning what books you can get, actually make a segment called "SGU Audible Download of the Week". I think the days of old school pre-recorded ads is pretty much over now that people can flip past commercials on TV and on a podcast hit the fast forward button a couple times.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Online uolj

• Well Established
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
I love the podcast and am very thankful that it is free and I will continue listening regardless of what is done with the ads, so do whatever you think is best...

However, I'd add myself to the group who doesn't prefer the approach from this week. I like a clear distinction between paid advertisement and unpaid commentary. An SGU Audible download of the week is a good idea, as it clearly separates the sponsored segment from the rest of the podcast. A regular pre-recorded ad might get fast-forwarded through, but that's only an issue if it affects how much revenue it brings to the SGU. Either way my personal feeling is that the slipped in advertisement is just icky. I felt the same when Paul Harvey did it or when I see the same type of thing in magazines or newspapers.

Online Johnny Slick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
I'm actually digging the idea of a Download of the Week the more I think about it; it ought to work as an advertisement and at the same time has the potential to provide more information into the show. People are always asking you guys for good skeptic and/or science-related books; why not use that segment to point folks directly to them and, one hopes, get paid for a few click-throughs on the side?
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • Anomalina
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
That's a good idea. Would be a good segment to have even if it didn't generate revenue.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »
+(number)

Dont like the fake casual conversation, but a designated segment sounds interesting.

The other problem is the audible account thing... Id absolutely sign up with audible to support the SGU, but its about the 10th nerd-related podcast that has asked me to do so.
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Online Johnny Slick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »
Yeah, good point. Hardcore History/Common Sense does Audible as well, although the books Carlin recommends are not likely to be in the SGU Top 10 or Top 100. Does Amazon advertise on shows like these? An SGU Guide to Kindle Books would be like skeptic crack to me.

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »
I'm fine with ads, but FWIW, I prefer when they're pre recorded by someone not on the podcast - it can be jarring to hear the hosts switch from 'banter' to 'scripted sales pitch'.

+1

+1 I don't like the "casually drop the sponsor's name" approach we had this weekend.

+1 to that.  I'd much prefer a pre-recorded, more professional-sounding ad even if it's the same thing every week.  I will say though that the one thing I did like about the ad you did last weekend was the way you were able to plug certain skeptical books as well.  Thought that made it a bit easier to swallow.