Author Topic: Where do eyelashes go?  (Read 6409 times)

Offline trickledown

• Not Enough Spare Time
Where do eyelashes go?
« on: January 10, 2010, 02:19:11 PM »
When they get lost behind your eye, where do they go?

Are they stuck inside your skull forever, or do they come out some place?

Normally I assume that when I have an eyelash on the front of my eye, that it's once that recently came loose... but could it be one that's been in my skull for weeks that simply returned to the front of the eye?

Offline Ampatent

• Well Established
  • Still Working on That Doctorate....
Re: Where do eyelashes go?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
I would guess they get dissolved or something similar. I highly doubt a 90 year old man has 90 years of eyelashes in his head.

Offline Beη

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
I would guess they get dissolved or something similar. I highly doubt a 90 year old man has 90 years of eyelashes in his head.

Isn't that how you tell how old someone is?

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 03:38:39 PM »

Yes, an eye doctor once told me that they simply dissolve after a while.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 03:47:04 PM »

Of course not, that's just silly. For that you cut them in half and count the rings.

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:45:38 PM »
I thought eyelashes that fell onto the eyeball and got carried inside were eventually carried to the tear ducts and down into the nose. Surely everyone has at some time blown their nose and seen an eyelash on the handkerchief.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Zeno Izen

• AWESOME POSSUM!
  • Frequent Poster
  • F'ing F!!!
    • The Final Website
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »
This happens?  I've never heard of such a thing.

Offline whitedevilbrewing

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I think Trinoc is seeing nose hairs.  They certainly look similar.

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
I think Trinoc is seeing nose hairs.  They certainly look similar.

No, I've heard this stated at least as far back as my biology teacher at school. You know what it feels like to have a single hair, or even a bit of dust, stuck between the eyeball and the socket ... imagine what it would be like if every eyelash you'd ever lost in that way was still in there.

Hair is one of the most durable parts of the body. After teeth and bones it is the part most likely to be preserved when bodies are dug up after hundreds of years. If you eat anything with hair on it, the hair is not digested in the acid and enzymes of the stomach ... look at the way cats vomit up furballs rather than digesting them. You can just about get hair to dissolve if you boil it in caustic soda. The much more benign tear fluid around the eye would have no effect on hair material (keratin) at all.

Eyelashes are eliminated from the body, and unless they find their way out from the eye itself this is via the tear duct at the nose end of the eyelids and into the cavity behind the nose. From there it can either exit out of the nose, into the mouth or down to the stomach and excreted with other indigestible fibre.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Nacreous

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Gosh! These whirlpools are terrible...
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 06:05:02 PM »

I just counted mine.  I have 6,031.  Figuring 100/year, that makes me ~60 yrs old.

Pretty close.
"The future has been here for awhile; it's just not available to everyone."
-some guy at MIT

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
    • http://www.evileyemonster.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 06:05:31 PM »
When you sleep, your eye's roll up. When your eye is up the tears pool at the bottom. Anything that was in your eye is expelled at the lower lid. REM also makes your eyes roll or jitter and this also helps.

This is why when you have something in your eye you are supposed to look up (not head... but eyes), pull the the top lid down over the bottom and let go.

It works nearly 90% of the time.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: non-binary anarchy
    • The Artful Scientist (portfolio)
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 12:15:09 AM »
yeah, they just get ejected - i think the "dissolving" thing is just one of those urban myths we hear about. i've found smallish eyelashes in the corners of my eyes before (the one corner that's closest to my nose). fortunately, not many of my eyelashes fall into my eyes. i also have a habit of pulling on my eyelashes - this gets rid of the loose ones so that they never have a chance to fall out.

i have a lot of weird habits.

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

Offline Goldom

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
I'm so confused. My eyelashes fall off onto the ground. I can't even imagine how they'd end up inside the eye. I mean sometimes I feel one poking my eye, but then I just wipe it out...

Offline FunkyFredFrog

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • To teach is a gift.....
    • Some Music I'm working on
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
My tear duct got blocked for around 1 year and I didn't notice any eyelashes floating around.....I have got a plastic rod in the tear duct at the moment that is keeping it open so that it doesn't re-close during this healing process after an op....It sits across my eyeball then goes back into my nose from my upper and lower tear duct openings...Don't know if this is of help or just confines me to the freak show situated on the forums somewhere........I would definitely notice more eyelashes though
Man is certainly stark raving mad. He cannot make a worm, yet he makes gods by the dozens - Michel de Montaigne
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence - Bertrand Russel.

Offline trickledown

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 04:13:25 PM »
I'm amazed that some people here don't ever get eye lashes stuck in their eye end up lost behind the eye.

Happens to me all the time.

personate-rain