Author Topic: Explain your username + avatar  (Read 124070 times)

Offline heliocentricra

• Frequent Poster
Explain your username + avatar
« on: May 06, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »
My username is this album:

..except without the words "the," "worlds," "of" and "sun."

My avatar is a painting by Kandinsky.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 03:44:55 PM »
My internet nickname is a term from ancient Greek philosophy, look it up yourself  :wink:
My avatar is me, on a camping trip. Picture taken by Sabbie, as the sun rises behind me.

Offline Paul Ganssle

• Objective Hitler
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 03:50:47 PM »
My user name is the name of a guy whose identity I stole after I stabbed him in an alleyway.  I don't think I have an avatar, but if any good looking females are looking to become a priestess, I'm not unwilling to let you channel me. :wink:
quot;if you looat the world and think there is a God nothin make sense but if you see it fro a naturalistivc perspectiove all the shti goin on is exactly what youd expect-"  -The Always Eloquent Richard Dawkins

Offline Illuminator

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 03:57:12 PM »
Name is taken from a song that I really like. As well, it also has more meaning behind it, concerning skepticism (duh).

As far as my avatar goes, I don't usually use them, but I threw that one on there for fun. It's a Nero's Cross...it has nothing to do with a car make :P

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 03:59:04 PM »
My name is the nickname Apeiron and our best friend gave me. First they were annoying me with it, because I thought it sounded stupid. But after a while I got used to it and now everybody calls me Sabbie. Even my parents, other relatives, in-laws sometimes, all my friends etc.
My real name is Sabrina by the way.

The avatar is me. Can't remember when it's taken, just a picture :P

Offline Nigel

• Seasoned Contributor
  • One man, one opinion
    • The Skeptical Review
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 04:17:56 PM »
My Avatar is the late President Harry S Truman.  I like the picture, and admire the President.  I have a James K. Polk picture I might put up soon for a change of pace.  

My screen name comes from a set of cover names two friends and I came up with during a trip to Las Vegas a few years ago (never had a need to resort to them), and a podcast we thought about doing.  Nigel, Graham, and Sinjin.

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 04:21:59 PM »
Neutral Milk comes from the band "Neutral Milk Hotel." It wasn't very clever, but I was kind of in a rush to get an account because I had urgent business to discuss (my email question had been answered, and I felt it had been misunderstood.)

My avatar, as I have mentioned in a recent post, is of the Polish beer Okocim which is the most gratifying beverage my taste buds have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

My Kurt Vonnegut quote comes from an article he wrote about 4 years ago, I don't have the link anymore.

My second quote comes from this Achewood comic strip
None of you suckers seem to appreciate the glorious hilarity that is achewood.

Offline Ole Eivind

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 04:24:25 PM »
My username is my first name, I'm a fourth (at least) generation Ole.

My avatar is the cover of the album Darwin! (1972) by Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, the greatest Italian symphonic prog band IMO. It's a concept album about evolution, which I found fitting for these boards. Highly recommended!

Offline Øyvind

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Following Ole Eivind's example, my username is my first name. I chose this partly so if I ever solve the skeptical puzzle, I get the delight of hearing Evan attempting to pronounce it. :twisted:

The avatar is an old photo of a 1918 solar eclipse which I ripped from wikimedia commons. Nothing too personal, perhaps, but eclipses are so friggin cool
"Some people say 'How can you live without knowing?' I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know." -- Richard Feynman

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." -- Agatha Heterodyne

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 04:31:33 PM »
My username is also my first name.

My avatar is a picture of Earth taken from orbit, from a point with Australia in the central position. It vaguely captures my philosophical position of "we humans are all in this together"; no "us" versus "them"... just "us". Until the aliens turn up, of course. :)
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Online gmalivuk

• Well Established
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 04:41:05 PM »
My user name is my first initial and last name.  It's basically what I use when I'm not feeling creative and/or want to make sure I'm not going to forget how to log into a site if I've been gone awhile.

My avatar is one of those cat macros with "I'm in ur [noun], [verb]ing ur [other noun]".  If you can't read it well (since it didn't scale very well and I didn't feel like remaking it), it says "I'm in ur box, collapsing ur wave function."

It is, of course, a cat in a box.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 04:42:37 PM »
My username is also my first name.

My avatar is a picture of myself and my gf, with me in my full pirate regalia (courtesy of my paltry skills with GIMP).

My quote was shamelessly stolen from a sig at the gamefaqs messageboards, of all places.
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline kb

• Well Established
  • Omne ignotum pro magnifico est
    • This is not a blog
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »
Username: My initials
Avatar: Zaphod Beeblebrox from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy BBC series ep 3 @ 18:20. Here's a short clip.
http://www.livevideo.com/video/32FB4EBEA4254CC0BCA27243165F72F2/amazingly-amazing.aspx

My quote is paraphrased from a BBC interview.
Some years ago I had a conversation with a layman about flying saucers — because I am scientific I know all about flying saucers! I said "I don't think there are flying saucers'. So my antagonist said, "Is it impossible that there are flying saucers? Can you prove that it's impossible?" "No", I said, "I can't prove it's impossible. It's just very unlikely". At that he said, "You are very unscientific. If you can't prove it impossible then how can you say that it's unlikely?" But that is the way that is scientific. It is scientific only to say what is more likely and what less likely, and not to be proving all the time the possible and impossible. To define what I mean, I might have said to him, "Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence." It is just more likely. That is all.
"And I'm also one of these people. I don't really care about being right you know I just care about success." - Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds

Offline gweathers

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://lifeburns.com
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 04:53:01 PM »
username: first letter of first name and last name.

my avatar is a comic i found thats on a shirt.

quot;To be rational is to look the universe in the face and not flinch." - Anon~
"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God

Offline jday

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 05:05:59 PM »
My username is the first initial of my first name (James) and my last name (Day).

My avatar is of me, 'cause that's who I am. I smile a lot more than my avatar suggests.
sum ergo cogito