Author Topic: Introduce yourself here!  (Read 333692 times)

Offline EvilNick

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Possessed by Starscream's spark.
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
Re: Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #5775 on: May 13, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a couple of gamer threads around but the question is do you play Mafia?  ;)

Mafia?  As in the Facebook game? 

I have never played a Facebook game.  I mostly use Facebook to scroll through and get some science news, but lately, to look for someone to talk to about my suddenly shitty personal life.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #5776 on: May 13, 2015, 02:15:14 PM »
http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,44303.msg9312057.html#new

checkout the previous games for how to play. Happy reading and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline EvilNick

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5777 on: May 13, 2015, 02:25:29 PM »

checkout the previous games for how to play. Happy reading and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Ahhh hmm... thanks.  Thus far, I have nothing but questions.  But will see what I can answer on my own.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5778 on: May 13, 2015, 06:58:22 PM »

Ahhh hmm... thanks.  Thus far, I have nothing but questions.  But will see what I can answer on my own.

Honestly, the best way is to just jump into an upcoming game. You might feel lost at first, but that's the only way to figure out how fun it is.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Smooth

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5779 on: May 14, 2015, 11:24:32 AM »
Hello, SGU!
I've been listening to the podcast for about a year and enjoy it a great deal. 
I discovered I was an atheist when I was about 8 years old.  At the same time I discovered adults were liars. I didn't smile much for years after that. 

In college I tried very hard to foster a belief in the supernatural and conspiracy stuff.  While it was very entertaining and still can be, it took 9-11 to really rock my world.  Like many New Yorkers, I smelled the smoke for months.  As a WNYC listener, I didn't even realize they went off the air for months since I was glued to CNN.  I realized we were being lied to 24 hours a day, and I worked very hard to discover the truth of the matter.  I found Noam Chomsky, and while it's good to learn the truth, or least a reasonable attempt to know it, it was not relaxing.  I suffered ITB until I decided to turn off the television and return to life.

During that time I developed a drinking problem. Years later, I had to quit booze, and went to AA.  In New York, I found an agnostic meetings which helped me a great deal giving up the sauce (positive peer-pressure can work!) and finding/nurturing a more positive outlook generally and shedding the cynicism I thought was inevitable.

However, at those meetings, I discovered another form of woo and anti science.  Not from the meeting itself, but some people saw conspiracies in everything, blaming ills on Celebrex and vaccines.  I had the feeling they were worrying needlessly.  My father, a Chemical Engineer and teacher, had steered me straight years earlier, blaming pseudoscience on the failings of education, so I expanding my reading and moved from a regular non-theist, to a pro-science/data empiricist!

I've been a long time fan of Dawkins, Dennett and Sagan, and in everyday life, found few people with the same interests or reading list!  Thus I found my way to the SGU podcast in search of the like minded.  Thank you all very much.

Offline Blizky

• Brand New
  • Of ye Seede of Olde shal One be borne
« Reply #5780 on: May 19, 2015, 08:48:57 PM »
Hey, I'm Armando. I have been listening this podcast since 2006-7.
Thank you for all the work you do.

Online Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survied both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #5781 on: May 20, 2015, 06:09:39 AM »
Welcome new guys. Go forth and pontificate among the threads.  ;D
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5782 on: May 20, 2015, 10:24:46 PM »

Bicker and banter on the interwebs? You're quite welcome!

Hehe, the SGU hosts are unlikely to see anything posted here, but I'm sure they'd love to hear your sentiments in an email. Go do that, and come back to bicker and banter with us.  ;D
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #5783 on: May 24, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »

Hehe, the SGU hosts are unlikely to see anything posted here, but I'm sure they'd love to hear your sentiments in an email. Go do that, and come back to bicker and banter with us.  ;D

Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it.  - Dana Scully; X-Files ep. Herrenvolk w. Chris Carter

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5784 on: May 24, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
Well I'm glad that's settled.  :D

Offline EvilNick

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5785 on: May 28, 2015, 08:50:22 AM »

Awww they should be on here!

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Unofficial Forum Spelling Cop
    • Anomalina
« Reply #5786 on: June 01, 2015, 09:02:20 PM »

Finally someone thanks us...
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Offline atrox

• Brand New
« Reply #5787 on: June 12, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »
Hi There,

just quickly would like to introduce myself as I was raised to be polite :-)

I am a Phd student from Germany working on spiders and started listening to the SGU podcast about a year ago as I searched for something to listen to during lab work. As I have lots of years to catch up I can easily listen to half a dozend podcasts in some days. My favourite  part of the show (besides the news items) is Science or Fiction.. I love to guess the right answer.
As lab season is coming up now I felt the urge to sign up here to be able to have some exchange on thoughts and topics of the more recent podcasts.
I am looking forward to participate in the forum

cheers
Aj

Offline Anders

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5788 on: June 12, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please" - Mark Twain

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality" - Ayn Rand

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5789 on: June 12, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »
Hi There,

just quickly would like to introduce myself as I was raised to be polite :-)

I am a Phd student from Germany working on spiders and started listening to the SGU podcast about a year ago as I searched for something to listen to during lab work. As I have lots of years to catch up I can easily listen to half a dozend podcasts in some days. My favourite  part of the show (besides the news items) is Science or Fiction.. I love to guess the right answer.
As lab season is coming up now I felt the urge to sign up here to be able to have some exchange on thoughts and topics of the more recent podcasts.
I am looking forward to participate in the forum

cheers
Aj

Welcome!!

You should take some of your super spiders to Australia, I hear that they need more spiders there.