Author Topic: NECSS 2015  (Read 476 times)

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
NECSS 2015
« on: January 05, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »
It's Thursday, April 9 through Sunday, April 12, though I note with amusement that this Save the Date page...includes no dates. 
:fu:  :jay:

Programming has expanded.

We’re thrilled to announce that NECSS 2015 will be co-sponsored by the Society for Science-Based Medicine and will expand to include a third full-day of programming! Friday’s schedule will be curated by the team at SfSBM and feature content available exclusively at NECSS 2015. Saturday and Sunday schedules will once again feature the best of science and skepticism.

NECSS weekend also includes a special evening performance on Friday, two workshop tracks on Thursday for the early-birds, our popular “Drinking Skeptically” socializers, and more!

The full NECSS speaker line up will be announced shortly, but, as always, Rationally Speakingand the Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe will record live podcasts during the conference.

Registration isn't open yet, but you can put in for vacation days now!

"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: NECSS 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
...and registration is now open.  Looks like they've moved back to the large auditorium that was the 2013 venue, still at FIT; my guess is that they're planning for a larger crowd since they've expanded to three full days of programming.

Presenting this year year are Mark Crislip, Jann Bellamy, Harriet Hall, and David Gorski of the Society for Science Based-Medicine along with George Hrab, Deborah Berebichez, Steven S. Hall, John Rennie, Brian Wecht, Heather Berlin, Yelena Bernadskaya, Latasha Wright, and returning emcee Jamy Ian Swiss. As always, the Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe and Rationally Speaking podcasts will record live shows. Stay tuned for more speaker announcements in the future.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Offline peterkronenberg

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »
Any SGU discount code for NECSS?

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:59:58 PM »
Alas, no, especially since there are a couple of events (a reception and a private recording of the podcast) that are fundraisers for the SGU.  There are discounts for students and for members of New England Skeptical Society, New York City Skeptics, and the Society for Science-Based Medicine.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
Friday night typically features some entertainment.  Here's this year's.

Fresh from a whirlwind tour of Australia and New Zealand, the Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe Crew and George Hrab are bringing their hit stage show to NECSS 2015! Join Steve, Jay, Bob, Evan, George (and, of course, a surprise or two) for “George Hrab Presents: The SGU Skeptical Extravaganza,” a two-hour stage show celebrating science, skepticism, and everything geeky (and, of course, the  ever-popular quiz show). Best of all, tickets are open to the general public; conference registration is not required to attend!

EVENT DETAILS
Date: Friday April 10
Time: 7:30PM
Cost: $15 NECSS attendees / $25 general public
Location: Haft Auditorium (entrance on 27th St. between 7th and 8th Ave.)

Offline peterkronenberg

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 07:51:29 AM »
Just registered last night for NECSS for my daughter and I and this morning I get an email that there is indeed a 10% discount for SGU members..... grrrrr

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »
Oh dear!  I'm sorry, I didn't know that.  I was just going by what was posted on the NECSS Web site.  Please email them and explain.  They should totes give you the discount. 

Looking at you, :jay:.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Will Rage Quit for BACON!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »
Hmmm....  I think Id like to go this year.
This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 02:37:32 PM »

Cool.  :)  Would you bring SHORTS! and/or CULOTTES!?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Will Rage Quit for BACON!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »
Cool.  :)  Would you bring SHORTS! and/or CULOTTES!?
Id love to, but I don't think NYC is ready for them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:06:46 PM by PANTS! »
This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 03:51:55 PM »
Some of the speakers have been announced, and more details about the workshops on the Thursday.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
Bill Nye at NECSS, y'all

In addition to giving the conference keynote address on Saturday afternoon, he will join us as the special guest star of Friday night’s SGU Skeptical Extravaganza (a special show open to both conference attendees and the general public) and sign copies of his latest book, Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation.

personate-rain