2 (8%)
Yes, but no time behind bars.
2 (8%)
Yes, and I've done time.
1 (4%)
Just traffic tickets.
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence  (Read 223396 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
Re: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence
« Reply #7425 on: November 11, 2016, 04:11:49 PM »
I have considered signing up for VA health care just for the ID card but even that seemed like too much of a pain in the ass to deal with.  I don't know any Vets that haven't been at least mildly annoyed by all benefits available to someone who carries discharge papers around with them.   

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #7426 on: November 14, 2016, 11:17:32 AM »

Congress passed the Veterans Identification Card Act, a new bill that would create a government issued Veterans ID card, something many veterans have been requesting for years. The bill was unanimously passed by both the House and the Senate. President Obama signed the bill into law on July 20, 2015.

Update: The VA has announced that the Veterans Identification Cards may not be released until sometime in 2017. The cost for the Veterans ID card has not yet been determined. In the mean time, we have updated this article to include instructions for printing a VA Proof of Service Letter so you can show an official letter from the VA proving your military service.

This is one of those weird things that seemed like it would have been dealt with decades ago.

Like making postage stamps on sticker material.

Since what, the 1940's? 1950's we had postage stamps we had to lick, and self adhesive stickers for stuff like department store price tags.  It took DECADES before someone finally decided "hey, lets print postage stamps on self adhesive paper instead of licking them like idiots."  What the heck took so long?

To prove prior service and get VA benefits veterans have had to carry around their discharge paper, the DD 214 as an 8.5" x 11" sheet of delicate carbon paper.  For at least 25+ years the technology existed to capture images and laser print ID cards on demand.  No need to go a photographer, get photos made, bring those photos to an ID office..etc...etc... 

Now, after all this time, a "veteran" ID exists at least in concept.  What the heck took so long?
Well.  There it is.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7427 on: November 14, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »

To prove prior service and get VA benefits veterans have had to carry around their discharge paper, the DD 214 as an 8.5" x 11" sheet of delicate carbon paper.  For at least 25+ years the technology existed to capture images and laser print ID cards on demand.  No need to go a photographer, get photos made, bring those photos to an ID office..etc...etc... 

Now, after all this time, a "veteran" ID exists at least in concept.  What the heck took so long?

When I got my DD214 they told me to have it registered with the country Recorder's office... they filed and stamped it and gave me a copy.  Now I have a PDF of it.

I think the only VA benefit I've used is the home loan - pretty nice benefit... got my house for nothing down and didn't have to pay PMI.

I'd think for anything really official like loans or medical, they'd need more than an ID anyway, and would check with the DoD.  The Veteran ID will probably get you a discount on Amtrak and such.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7428 on: November 14, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »
Stonesean is right.  Its pretty odd nobody thought of this before.  As a side note, I posted this same comment and found out a friend of my has been carrying his old military ID around that's been expired for roughly 20 years and using it for discounts.  Given how cheap they used to be, they barely lasted long enough to expire, I'm can't imagine how he's kept it this long.  Also, that's probably illegal. 

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #7429 on: November 14, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »
Stonesean is right.  Its pretty odd nobody thought of this before.  As a side note, I posted this same comment and found out a friend of my has been carrying his old military ID around that's been expired for roughly 20 years and using it for discounts.  Given how cheap they used to be, they barely lasted long enough to expire, I'm can't imagine how he's kept it this long.  Also, that's probably illegal.

Totally illegal.  All military ID's say "property of the US Government" on them.  Implicit in there is that they be returned when no longer valid.

On a side note, this "veteran" ID will really be a boon to my buddy who has a pdf document he prints out every year listing all the places that give free food/drinks/merchandise to veterans on November 11th and uses it as a checklist, going from place to place demanding his free shit.....  :ughh:
Well.  There it is.

Offline Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7430 on: November 17, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »
I just got a call from Richard Johnson.

Offline Anders

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7431 on: November 24, 2016, 02:58:20 AM »
Eating fish. Cat is attempting Jedi mind tricks at me.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

personate-rain