Author Topic: NECSS 2014, y'all  (Read 873 times)

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Frequent Poster
    • Anomalina
Re: NECSS 2014, y'all
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
Man Laurence Krauss was so sharp. I like his style. A bit harsh for outside the skeptical community, but in that room, perfect.
The astronaut, Catherine Coleman, was the other highlight. So "down-to-earth"   :)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • We never have time, time has us.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 07:30:09 PM »
Sorry but the highlight was Beecher's.

I hope they put the talks up on YouTube soon, because I need to re-watch Krauss' bit and the ones I missed in the morning.

It was really nice to see you guys again! Or to meet you, in some cases! Let's do it again some time.

hahah! I just noticed I have a title now. Gee, I wonder who did that?
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline neverbug

• Off to a Start
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »
I hope they put the talks up on YouTube soon, because I need to re-watch Krauss' bit and the ones I missed in the morning.

It was really nice to see you guys again! Or to meet you, in some cases! Let's do it again some time.

I hope so too! I'm eager to see Krauss based on what you guys have said. Also I was interested in the GMO debate, how did that go?
And I like your new title  :D my new goal is to be cool enough to get one.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »

I hope so too! I'm eager to see Krauss based on what you guys have said. Also I was interested in the GMO debate, how did that go?
And I like your new title  :D my new goal is to be cool enough to get one.
The GMO debate was a massacre. The anti-GMO guy had nothing but incoherent sciencey babble he didn't understand, Gish gallops, and conspiracy theories; the few actual facts that he trotted out turned out to be patently wrong.

During the question period (I think), someone asked about testing the safety of GMOs, and he admitted he didn't know and that he would leave that up to the scientists. After arguing against the science for an hour. What does he think they've been doing all this time? I almost yelled out "Leave it to a scientist? Like the one sitting next to you, you mean?" Funniest moment of the day.

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Frequent Poster
    • Anomalina
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »
I was interested in the GMO debate, how did that go?

Unfortunately. For me anyway.
I really wanted Marty Mesh to put up a good fight and have my views challenged, but he just didn't. He opened with a huge gallop, but still managed to sound overwhelmed. On the back foot from the get-go. Kevin Folta, the evil biotech spokesman, won handily on both style and content.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Offline neverbug

• Off to a Start
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
Haha damn, sounds way harsh. I mean I suppose I have to give the guy props just for showing up. Did he owe someone a favor or something? Why would you go to a science/skeptical conference for a debate and not be as prepared as you could possibly be? The audience is obviously going to be very well informed on this stuff! Can't bullshit your way outta that one.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 08:24:50 PM »
I was interested in the GMO debate, how did that go?

Unfortunately. For me anyway.
I really wanted Marty Mesh to put up a good fight and have my views challenged, but he just didn't. He opened with a huge gallop, but still managed to sound overwhelmed. On the back foot from the get-go. Kevin Folta, the evil biotech spokesman, won handily on both style and content.
It is very telling that Kevin opened with "There is no debate on this subject in the scientific community." I was already leaning that way, but it was nice to have it spelled out so definitively.

Haha damn, sounds way harsh. I mean I suppose I have to give the guy props just for showing up. Did he owe someone a favor or something? Why would you go to a science/skeptical conference for a debate and not be as prepared as you could possibly be? The audience is obviously going to be very well informed on this stuff! Can't bullshit your way outta that one.
Well, that's the thing. He was well-prepared (he read from tons of documents), and he obviously believes what he says. He's just not equipped to do actual science. It became very obvious that he was on the same level as global warming or evolution deniers.

personate-rain