Author Topic: some thoughts on cultural appropriation  (Read 10482 times)

Ah.hell and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: some thoughts on cultural appropriation
« Reply #810 on: Today at 01:22:56 AM »
Is anybody with the opinion that "all CA is harmful" willing to have a conversation about it, understanding that I don't agree and have some probing questions?
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #811 on: Today at 01:26:11 AM »
I don't agree that there are non-harmful examples of cultural appropriation. The appropriation by itself is transgressive. Conflating appropriation with cultural exchange is di honest as it misrepresents the issue. There are certainly less-harmful examples, but less harmful is a lot like less-lethal in that it's still harmful.

could you describe how you feel about a few actions?
No.

And there's the thread in a nutshell.  :laugh:

1. I'm not the person so ask about this. None of these examples relate to me, and you'll get the same answer you'd get if you wanted to talk trans issues. Go find those groups, go find the people who are writing about this from there experience and learn. Hell, even if I was a perfect ethnic mix I still wouldn't tell you to come and ask me for the same reason i wouldn't want you to ask me about global warming. I'm not remotely qualified to discuss this on an academic level.

2. I don't, based on your posts in this thread, think you're interested in talking about my opinion. If you want my opinion, that's fine. You haven't earned it, I'm not giving it in a thread shot through with trolls, and I'm not keen on playing Q&A either. If you want empirical answers and learning, go back to #1. If you want my opinion, I dunno, suck it up?

3. You've been self-contradictory, have misrepresented the nature of the discussion, and tried to derail it by insisting we have a discussion about the use of the term rather than accepting that, for the purposes of this informal thread the definition we were using might not be the one you were used to using. Then you got mad about it. Earlier in this thread you intentionally misrepresented what I was saying despite two clarifications. Rather than accept that I personally didn't value your specific opinion on the subject, you cried "racism." Frankly  I don't have any reason at this point to assume you'll be remotely charitable, or that you're asking in good faith, and it is 100% your fault why.

HIISSSSSSSS

Online D4M10N

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #812 on: Today at 08:23:56 AM »
If you are hoping to prevent specific instances of CA, berating people for trying to discuss them probably isn't your best bet. Berating people for not seeing a clear demarcation between harmful appropriation and helpful exchange probably isn't helping either. But hey, at least you get to vent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Online Unlimited

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #813 on: Today at 09:49:24 AM »
Cultural appropriation is cultural appropriation. Just because you feel oppressed DOES NOT give you the right to appropriate MY culture.

How arbitrary is that? What else? Do you just get to use my car and house for 2 days of the year? Should I come clean your garage?
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." -Julius Caesar

Online D4M10N

« Reply #814 on: Today at 10:17:23 AM »
Cultural appropriation is cultural appropriation.

I hope we can all agree on this, though it doesn't help us determine whether an Indian woman selling henna to white ladies is a problem, or whether Miley needs to stop twerking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Online Unlimited

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #815 on: Today at 11:49:38 AM »
It's evolution. Humans take better ideas and use them. They forget the old ideas.

I'm sorry this upsets some people but what would the world look like if all people of the world were concerned about this since the year 5000BC??

Would we even have the printing press yet?
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." -Julius Caesar

Online Unlimited

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #816 on: Today at 11:51:37 AM »
Cultural appropriation is cultural appropriation.

I hope we can all agree on this, though it doesn't help us determine whether an Indian woman selling henna to white ladies is a problem, or whether Miley needs to stop twerking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Holy fk someone is claiming twerking as part of their culture? I don't know if I want to live on this planet anymore.

Online D4M10N

personate-rain