Author Topic: Introduce yourself here!  (Read 333703 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • bLog for a righter/musican
Re: Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #5805 on: September 22, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »
...am now working on three different bachelor degrees, maths; astronomy & biology, but don't know for how long I will be able to keep the pace up.

....Anyways, judging by the company here I might come off as somewhat uneducated, so I apologize in advance for any stupid questions. I will, however, try to ask the right stupid questions...

See you on the boards!
Welcome!!!
Oh plz, I have a BA in English Lit and am finishing an MFA in screenwriting. They should have tossed me out by now.  ;D
With a courseload like that you'll be fine!  ;D
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Offline Matt K

• Off to a Start
  • Don't believe a word of it.
« Reply #5806 on: October 16, 2014, 05:55:35 AM »
You think that's bad? Fine Art mate!

Hi all, great to be joining you. As you may have worked out from my rather cryptic user name, my name is Matt, a sceptic and all round curious person from St. Albans, just north of London, England.

I gradually crept into scepticism from entrenched Christianity. I've been listening to the podcast for about a year and have listened to every episode up until #213

I joined the forums to meet and chat with other sceptics and to debate ideas. Looking forward to getting to know you all and seeing what I can offer the community.

I'm an illustrator, artist and graphic facilitator. I'm interested in using drawing to communicate ideas.

See you around.
"If Plato were a potato, would they let him join Nato?"
anonymous tramp

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is firing rockets at Israel.
« Reply #5807 on: October 16, 2014, 06:17:30 AM »
Welcome Matt! Looking forward to seeing your stuff in member creations!
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5808 on: October 16, 2014, 10:55:32 AM »
I see y'all's arts degrees and raise you a doctorate in classical trumpet performance.  ;D

Scepdick, holy crap. Best of luck, that's awesome.

Matt: cool!! There are some talented artists on here, I also look forward to seeing your work added to the mix!
A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.

Offline OhMyGecko

• Off to a Start
  • I refuse to argue against superior wit.
« Reply #5809 on: October 16, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
That's surprising and very exciting for me. I actually thought, from personal experience (that is, no good reason) the arts don't develop skeptical minds. If i am wrong, which i hope, and since there seem quite a number here i may have been misguided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"But what was this world created for?" asked Candide.
"To drive us all mad." replied Martin.
-Voltaire, Candide

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • We never have time, time has us.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #5810 on: October 16, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
Liberal arts major in French literature and translation, checking in.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • bLog for a righter/musican
« Reply #5811 on: October 16, 2014, 12:48:21 PM »
I see y'all's arts degrees and raise you a doctorate in classical trumpet performance.  ;D

Matt: cool!! There are some talented artists on here, I also look forward to seeing your work added to the mix!
So, what you're saying is, you're a doctor in tooting your own horn?  ;D
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • A naturally occuring source of paranoia.
« Reply #5812 on: October 16, 2014, 12:57:05 PM »

Sad Trombone Sound Effect
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Matt K

• Off to a Start
  • Don't believe a word of it.
« Reply #5813 on: October 16, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »
Hold your horses gecko, you haven't seen how thick I am yet. i'm sending you reiki as I type.

In seriousness, though, the arts are a breeding ground for fuzzy thinking. Don't get me wrong, I love art, but nothing makes my blood boil than some work of art accompanied by an essay explaining how it's justified by outdated bullshit pseudoscience like Freud and Lacan. It's the 21st century goddammit! Art colleges are full of that sort of stuff and it's utter bullshit. Fine art needs rescuing from sloppy thinking. I think that lots of art students feel the need to inject profundity into their work and this really kills the authentic inquiry that is the engine for so much good art.
"If Plato were a potato, would they let him join Nato?"
anonymous tramp

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #5814 on: October 16, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
That's surprising and very exciting for me. I actually thought, from personal experience (that is, no good reason) the arts don't develop skeptical minds. If i am wrong, which i hope, and since there seem quite a number here i may have been misguided.

I think education itself is a big factor in furthering skepticism (even passively), but of course there are still plenty of well-educated true believers out there.

(click to show/hide)

Technically....?  ;D
A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #5815 on: October 16, 2014, 08:06:27 PM »
Hold your horses gecko, you haven't seen how thick I am yet. i'm sending you reiki as I type.

Oh lord have mercy, I have a filthy mind.  I'm so ashamed.

In seriousness, though, the arts are a breeding ground for fuzzy thinking. Don't get me wrong, I love art, but nothing makes my blood boil than some work of art accompanied by an essay explaining how it's justified by outdated bullshit pseudoscience like Freud and Lacan. It's the 21st century goddammit! Art colleges are full of that sort of stuff and it's utter bullshit. Fine art needs rescuing from sloppy thinking. I think that lots of art students feel the need to inject profundity into their work and this really kills the authentic inquiry that is the engine for so much good art.

I don't have much patience for that "need to inject profundity" or such crap.  Since grad school, I've had in my office a framed G.K. Chesterton quote, "The artistic temperament is a disease which afflicts amateurs."  (I'm an arts administrator at a college, Matt, with an academic background in theater.)

I can't deny that the arts are full of practitioners of all kinds of woo-woo, some of whom have been in my venue (Angela Hewitt and her "raw diet," Chick Corea's Scientology, for example, and lots of rituals about sacred spaces and whatnot), but then again, this spring we have Turkish pianist Fazil Say, an atheist who's been convicted of and sentenced for blasphemy, and who lives in exile in Japan.  I'm told that he's willing to conduct discussions and tell his story; I'm going to see if I can set up something with our nascent student freethinkers group.

Also, add Henning and Simon Jester to your roll call of artist skeptics, along with actor Aaron Fors.  We're everywhere.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
'What a nose...and ur hair color...from another planet. ..Rafael here...how r u?" some dude on a dating site

Offline OhMyGecko

• Off to a Start
  • I refuse to argue against superior wit.
« Reply #5816 on: October 17, 2014, 02:18:22 AM »

Don't you dare!

I majored in English Literature and I understand your point. That's why i said 'from personal experience'. Yeats is one of my favourite poets and he was rather prone to silly thinking. But much of what i was taught makes me think of the practice of narratology. The better we understand what they thought, the better we understand their work. Which does not mean you must agree.

I think education itself is a big factor in furthering skepticism (even passively), but of course there are still plenty of well-educated true believers out there.

Education is no cure for incredulity.
"But what was this world created for?" asked Candide.
"To drive us all mad." replied Martin.
-Voltaire, Candide