Poll

How many murders do you personally know?

Author Topic: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence  (Read 145726 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence
« Reply #7005 on: July 08, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »
So, I follow snopes on facebook.  I find it extremely hard to believe the anyone actually believes about 90% of the stories they debunk.

maybe it's just a public eye thing? hoping that the posts through shares/lols/likes will ultimately attract you more followers than you lose. silly stories give ordinary people a laugh and a small sense of superiority to the imagined butt of the hoax which '_they_ would never be dumb enough to fall for!'. since people on facebook want others to know what they like, they might keep snopes 'liked' despite being annoyed by vacuous updates and simply stop notifications, rather than unliking the page. so it seems like a good enough strategy on the part of Snopes.
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline arthwollipot

• Well Established
  • Observer of Phenomena
    • arthwollipot.com
« Reply #7006 on: July 08, 2014, 11:39:17 PM »
I've seen things turn up on Facebook on a dead person's account.
Do or do not. There is no spoon.

Only Zuul.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7007 on: July 09, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »
I've seen things turn up on Facebook on a dead person's account.

'not on my account' pun ghost said.
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #7008 on: July 10, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »
Last week I had to update the software on my iPod Touch. Halfway through, it crapped out on me. Everytime I tried to update it, I got this error message saying that it couldn't detect the device. I went through every help page trying to figure it out, un and re-installing iTunes, checking drivers. The lot. Remembered that an Apple store opened in Berlin last year, so figured I'd give the Genius bar a try. Book an appointment and turn up today. Tell the bloke what's wrong and the first thing he does is look in the port where the cable goes in and hooks out a chunk of fluff.

Fluff.

Updates the software, not a problem and everything is hunky dory.

Fluff on the contacts.

No where on any help page did it say, 'Hey, have a look see if the contacts are covered in the fluff from your pockets, because that could cause some problems.'

Fluff.  :ughh:

Offline starnado

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Huh?
« Reply #7009 on: July 10, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »
Last week I had to update the software on my iPod Touch. Halfway through, it crapped out on me. Everytime I tried to update it, I got this error message saying that it couldn't detect the device. I went through every help page trying to figure it out, un and re-installing iTunes, checking drivers. The lot. Remembered that an Apple store opened in Berlin last year, so figured I'd give the Genius bar a try. Book an appointment and turn up today. Tell the bloke what's wrong and the first thing he does is look in the port where the cable goes in and hooks out a chunk of fluff.

Fluff.

Fluff on the contacts.

No where on any help page did it say, 'Hey, have a look see if the contacts are covered in the fluff from your pockets, because that could cause some problems.'

:D :D :D

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived the Forum crash of '14 !
« Reply #7010 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »

Fluff.

Fluff on the contacts.

:D :D :D
:science: :cheers:
No trees were killed in the posting of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is at TAM.
« Reply #7011 on: July 10, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »
@cnnbrk: HIV virus now detected in child that scientists previously said was functionally cured. http://t.co/rkyMGjQqwS
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7012 on: July 13, 2014, 03:41:09 AM »
just ate 'Reece's peanut butter cups'

without a doubt the most salty thing I've ever eaten.

Offline Plastiq

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7013 on: July 13, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »

Ah, yes, definitely an odd experience for the first time—the Americans definitely like their sweet + salty treats. I've come to really dig the combination.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7014 on: July 14, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »

Ah, yes, definitely an odd experience for the first time—the Americans definitely like their sweet + salty treats. I've come to really dig the combination.

I don't mind the concept, but holy fuck, that's the saltiest peanut butter ever made. (I accidentally didn't buy the 'no added salt' peanut butter just recently, and couldn't tell the difference. but THIS is just ridiculous. we're whores, not horses! #namethatmovie)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is at TAM.
« Reply #7015 on: July 17, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »
@carolynporco: Do u remember what YOU were doing on 2013 July 19 #DayEarthSmiled?  http://t.co/iyzr2UsbQt & http://t.co/RLCqD1RLiO http://t.co/ViqBgQy5jM
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Online Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7016 on: July 17, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
I'm going to flip off the entire planet.   I might do worse,  depending on how motivated I am. 

I'll probably also raise a glass.  And hell,  I'll probably also be caught on film picking my nose or "adjusting".   So then I'll flip y'all off again.   I am conflicted.     

Oh, and fair warning, my teenagers will probably not smile.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Online Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7017 on: July 20, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »
I donated platelets at the local red cross this morning,  and when I tried to start my car afterwards I found my (pretty young) battery is dead.   I'm now waiting for AAA, while watching loads of people practicing for their driving test.   This street is on the route the local DMV uses,  and it is where they test student's ability to back in a straight line.   So far everyone is doing well. (All of the local driving instructors know the route,  so they take their students through  it.)
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7018 on: July 21, 2014, 12:22:28 AM »
I still don't know who this cat belongs to, but whatever  8)

personate-rain