Author Topic: Explain your username + avatar  (Read 122734 times)

Offline Dujardini

• Brand New
Re: Explain your username + avatar
« Reply #1485 on: January 16, 2017, 03:01:29 PM »
Thanks all, I remembered I had an imgur account so I've uploaded my avatar now.

It's an image that Phil Plait has posted a few times in his blog posts; and I've always liked it.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #1486 on: January 16, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »
That's a great photo! Also I just copied the URL from someone's blog post somewhere, so once they figure out I'm chewing up a small bit of bandwidth every day they'll nuke it and I will lose my Mastodon album cover avatar.  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
« Reply #1487 on: January 26, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
I'm a nerdcore rapper, Dr Proximo (rhymes with "domino", not "Pacino") is my rap name. I happened upon the word proximo playing Words With Friends while I was struggling to come up with a rap name (I did a bit of rap as 'kadeem' in the 90s but that era belongs firmly in the past; I had been making glitch music under "Ugliness Man" and EDM under 'johnjack'). since the word has to do with the passage of time (it means "a month from now" or "within the next month"), and my slowly-developing fictional persona had an interest in time travel, it seemed to fit perfectly. the avatar is from my Xbox 360 profile that I haven't accessed in a few years, it looked surprisingly similar to how I looked back then; I no longer wear the hat and usually have facial hair, but I still like the picture. some day soon I should get a screenshot of my Mii in my Miitomo app and start using it for stuff, it looks more like my current self.

edit: since this post is still fairly recent and might be confusing, I just wanted to edit to mention that I've now changed it to a recent Miifoto, as I was considering.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:38:22 PM by drproximo »

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #1488 on: January 26, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
I'm a nerdcore rapper, Dr Proximo (rhymes with "domino", not "Pacino") is my rap name. I happened upon the word proximo playing Words With Friends while I was struggling to come up with a rap name (I did a bit of rap as 'kadeem' in the 90s but that era belongs firmly in the past; I had been making glitch music under "Ugliness Man" and EDM under 'johnjack'). since the word has to do with the passage of time (it means "a month from now" or "within the next month"), and my slowly-developing fictional persona had an interest in time travel, it seemed to fit perfectly. the avatar is from my Xbox 360 profile that I haven't accessed in a few years, it looked surprisingly similar to how I looked back then; I no longer wear the hat and usually have facial hair, but I still like the picture. some day soon I should get a screenshot of my Mii in my Miitomo app and start using it for stuff, it looks more like my current self.

You know we're gonna ask for a link to an example of your stuff now, right?
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
« Reply #1489 on: January 26, 2017, 02:47:48 PM »

well, I'm currently working on a mixtape, and I'm about to start work on an album for the RPM Challenge, so in early March I'll have a handful of songs to share that are actually good.

for now, all I have is the very-rough not-all-that-great entry for 2015's Challenge which I refer to as "the demo" rather than an actual album. the only two songs on there that I feel okay sharing are "My Song" and "Grimsever's Return". "My Song" is a bit of philosophizing on choices and moving forward, "Grimsever's Return" is the most overtly nerdcore track, as it's a first-person narration of my favourite Skyrim quest, with fictionalized elements, and a hook which breaks the fourth wall by referring to a character as "an NPC".

I also did a second take of "My Song", but for the most part it's just a re-record of the vocals resulting in an improvement of about 3%, but I now regret the decision to leave out the "yeah" sample, thereby nullifying the improvement.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1490 on: January 26, 2017, 03:26:53 PM »

well, I'm currently working on a mixtape, and I'm about to start work on an album for the RPM Challenge, so in early March I'll have a handful of songs to share that are actually good.

for now, all I have is the very-rough not-all-that-great entry for 2015's Challenge which I refer to as "the demo" rather than an actual album. the only two songs on there that I feel okay sharing are "My Song" and "Grimsever's Return". "My Song" is a bit of philosophizing on choices and moving forward, "Grimsever's Return" is the most overtly nerdcore track, as it's a first-person narration of my favourite Skyrim quest, with fictionalized elements, and a hook which breaks the fourth wall by referring to a character as "an NPC".

I also did a second take of "My Song", but for the most part it's just a re-record of the vocals resulting in an improvement of about 3%, but I now regret the decision to leave out the "yeah" sample, thereby nullifying the improvement.

Cool.  Me and my kids listen to quite a bit of MC Frontalot, and I dabble in some of the other Nerdcore performers (Jean Grae, MC Lars, Optimus Rhymes), so I had heard of you, but never heard your stuff.  That was fun.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
« Reply #1491 on: January 26, 2017, 04:25:18 PM »
I had heard of you, but never heard your stuff.  That was fun.

wait, what? unless you're on twitter I'm confused as to how you heard of me, I haven't really "promoted" the demo in any significant aspect aside from tweeting when it was released, I have no videos, I've never been played on a podcast, and I'm not aware of my material being on any playlist or anything you would have encountered outside of a link from me personally. I wonder if you're confusing me with Doctor Popular or Dr Awkward.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1492 on: January 26, 2017, 05:58:32 PM »
I had heard of you, but never heard your stuff.  That was fun.

wait, what? unless you're on twitter I'm confused as to how you heard of me, I haven't really "promoted" the demo in any significant aspect aside from tweeting when it was released, I have no videos, I've never been played on a podcast, and I'm not aware of my material being on any playlist or anything you would have encountered outside of a link from me personally. I wonder if you're confusing me with Doctor Popular or Dr Awkward.
Hmmm..  Maybe so.  I swear you name rings a bell for me.

Yeah maybe it was Dr. Awkward from "I'll Form the Head"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:01:07 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
« Reply #1493 on: January 26, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
Yeah maybe it was Dr. Awkward from "I'll Form the Head"
yeah, that makes more sense. like, I would be shocked and flattered to find that my music has reached people without me knowing it before I start heavily promoting my upcoming projects, but the realist in me knows it's probably the similar-sounding names. even the nicknames all rhyme, Doc Pop, Doc Awk, and Doc Prox.

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
« Reply #1494 on: January 29, 2017, 02:33:40 PM »
update since I changed my avatar, my Mii had a party with my sidekicks this morning, so I finally took a pic. aside from the Mario hat I pretty much look like that.

personate-rain