Author Topic: Explain your username + avatar  (Read 124406 times)

Offline Orthodox Infidel

• Well Established
Explain your username + avatar
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »
I made up my user name earlier this year. I always liked the word "Infidel" (it being one of my favorite epithets, along with "Heathen" and "Saracen Barbarian!"), and "Orthodox" was a nice sounding adjective to slap on at the front, since it creates what appears to be a contradiction, and because I'm also rather right wing.

My avatar is a South Park version of myself. I made it here.

I don't have a sig yet, because I can't think of anything particularly witty I'd like. Oh wait, I did say I would turn something sketchy said into a sig, didn't I? I should probably do that...

Offline Dave The Drummer

• Seasoned Contributor
  • The Antithesis
    • Dave The Drummer
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »
I'm Dave and I'm a drummer.
The pic is one I took when i was working out in Saudi after a very long drinking session. It's in reflected TV light with the TV tuned to no channel.
I really liked the result although the first attempt was rubbish.
You can see the orange glow of a lamp and my fax machine in the background.
This is a smaller version of the original http://www.davethedrummer.com/Pics/Dave-for-avatar.jpg

I reckon it's one of the best pics of me. It doesn't reveal much which is how I like it. It allows people the freedom to misinterpret so I don't have to bother constructing an image for them.

My sig is a line from a TOOL song, Lateralus.
It seems to describe my general attitude to things. That and something about TOOL speaks to things very, very deep inside me that I do not fully understand.
The other line is flagrant advertising for my drum company.
Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

Offline heliocentricra

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 06:29:38 PM »
Quote from: "Ole Eivind"
My username is my first name, I'm a fourth (at least) generation Ole.

My avatar is the cover of the album Darwin! (1972) by Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, the greatest Italian symphonic prog band IMO. It's a concept album about evolution, which I found fitting for these boards. Highly recommended!
I'm listening right now. This is my kind of prog. Not like that Rush shit. :P

You should check out this album

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 06:30:28 PM »
My username is my sn for anything that requires one, poker sites, forums, any random game I play.  I like the sound of it, even if it is a negative word, and it is usually available.

wast·rel [wey-struhl]
-noun
1. One who wastes, especially one who wastes money; a profligate.
2. An idler or a loafer.

Also, it is not a proper noun, and as such should not be capitalized when referring to me (i.e. "I really think wastrel is the best thing since *insert awesome thing here*")

My current avatar is just something I made to practice some new photo editing software.  It is David Cross as Tobias Fünke in the kick arse show Arrested Development.  It is hard to read his title due to the small size but he is the worlds first combination "Analyst" and "Therapist", or Analrapist for short :P

This likely won't remain my avatar for long, I like to change it fairly often

Offline PeerPressure

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 06:44:27 PM »
"Peer pressure" is a social thingy which I took as my name.
My sig is a (slightly modified) quote from a page discussing peer pressure.

I haven't set up my avatar yet, but I usually have one of General Sheppard of the GDI forces of the Command & Conquer game; just because I like(d) the game and the picture  :)
"Everyone has to face PeerPressure at some point."
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart" - Ulysses Everett McGill

Offline Brian1625

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 07:18:45 PM »
My user name is my name, and the address that I grew up. I keep the same name for all my online activity, it's a stalker friendly user name.

Google Me

And the avatar is of me trying to juggle cause that's the hip thing to do around here apparently.

Offline a3maniac

• Happy birthday Goddess AKA a3maniac
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 08:04:36 PM »
My first car was an Audi A3, which I drove like a maniac (I drive really fast).

So my highschool friends nicknamed me the "a3 maniac".

I drive a VW Polo now, but the name stuck.
Google is your friend.

Offline Thespis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 08:31:09 PM »
Thespis, in Greek theatre tradition, was the first actor, basically. You can look it up in Wikipedia if you'd like more detail. (I'm an actor in case you hadn't picked up on that yet.

I started using the handle thespis103 in college. The "103" was the number on the license plate of my first (good) car. I started using the number for internet handles whenever I needed a number. Recently, I've been dropping the number whenever I can.

The avatar should be self-explanatory.

Offline Nightspore

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Ideas are bulletproof
    • http://nightspore.wordpress.com/
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2007, 08:45:01 PM »
Nightspore is a character in David Lindsay's 1920 SF novel A Voyage to Arcturus. I liked the sound of it, that's all.

As for the avatar, I used says-it.com's seal generator, then shrank it down to the regulation 100 pixels. I picked the Guy Fawkes symbol because it looks a lot like V in V for Vendetta, one of my favourite movies.
When you're at this as long as I've been, you stop believing in coincidence.

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2007, 09:00:45 PM »
My username is a character from the 4th book of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy So Long and Thank for all the Fish.

He realizes that the rest of the world had gone insane when he sees these instructions on a box of toothpicks.

Hold stick near centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion.

So he decided to change his name to Wonko the Sane to put the entire world into "The Asslym". He stays inside of his hose outside of the asslym.

Oh, and my avatar is me cut in two.
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Ciro

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Explain your username + avatar
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 09:21:12 PM »
Quote from: "heliocentricra"
My username is this album:

..except without the words "the," "worlds," "of" and "sun."

Back when I was like 7 years old I wanted to hear what jazz sounded like so I went out and bought a Sun Ra album. It was super avant-garde and I was scared away from jazz for years afterwards  :lol:

As for my username: It's my first name. Most of my friends call be by my middle name though (Nick).
I picked Teller as my avatar almost randomly. I like Teller.
 have found that the more educated I get, the less I want to do with you smarmy assholes and your obsession with pushing your ideals on other people and and killing their buzz because you think you're helping them.

Offline heliocentricra

• Frequent Poster
Re: Explain your username + avatar
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 09:35:20 PM »
Quote from: "Ciro"
Quote from: "heliocentricra"
My username is this album:

..except without the words "the," "worlds," "of" and "sun."

Back when I was like 7 years old I wanted to hear what jazz sounded like so I went out and bought a Sun Ra album. It was super avant-garde and I was scared away from jazz for years afterwards  :lol:
Haha, that would have scared me away from music for years. Definitely an acquired taste. :D

Offline teambanzai

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~teambanzai/
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Team  Banzai comes from the great film Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimention.  I have a hobbie called T hunting which is hide and seek with CB radios I wrecked a lot of cars doing it so teambanzai was the natural choice.

The picture is me enjoying a damn fine piece of beef jerky from the LA County fair.

The quote is from the movie Real Genius.
P

"I drank what?!?"
Socrates

Offline Get_Real

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 02:19:10 AM »
Username: I have a tendency to say Get Real when ever I hear something stupid. Generally in response to a politician.

Avatar: I wanted something that was somewhat ironic for a skeptical forum.

Signature: Is a quote from my favorite author Terry Pratchett, of the Disc World Series. A bit like J.R.R. Tolkien, Douglas Adams and Monty Python all rolled into one.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it".   - Terry Pratchett

Offline Paul Ganssle

• Objective Hitler
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 02:45:31 AM »
Quote from: "Nightspore"
Nightspore is a character in David Lindsay's 1920 SF novel A Voyage to Arcturus. I liked the sound of it, that's all.

As for the avatar, I used says-it.com's seal generator, then shrank it down to the regulation 100 pixels. I picked the Guy Fawkes symbol because it looks a lot like V in V for Vendetta, one of my favourite movies.

You know that's cause he was wearing a Guy Fawkes mask, right?
quot;if you looat the world and think there is a God nothin make sense but if you see it fro a naturalistivc perspectiove all the shti goin on is exactly what youd expect-"  -The Always Eloquent Richard Dawkins