Author Topic: Useless fact of the day  (Read 67786 times)

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
Re: Useless fact of the day
« Reply #2685 on: February 14, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2686 on: February 14, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
Next time someone asks me where I'm from I'm going to reply, "Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula."
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
« Reply #2687 on: February 14, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
The original full name of Los Angeles was Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula. (Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of the Porciúncula River.) This proved to be a bit of a mouthful, and has since been shortened somewhat, with most people just calling it LA.

Speaking of cities of angels:

The full ceremonial name of Bangkok is Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit, which means

"The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarma"

The Thais don't call it by its full name, or Bangkok, but by a shortened version Krung Thep Maha Nakho. The full name is listed in Guinness as the longest place name in the world.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #2688 on: February 14, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »
Oh man, that would be impossible for Murray Head to sing.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
'What a nose...and ur hair color...from another planet. ..Rafael here...how r u?"

Offline Bunsen

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #2689 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »
Oh man, that would be impossible for Murray Head to sing.

OH SHIT

One Night in Bangkok (CHESS) Murray Head

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #2690 on: February 15, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh:

I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
'What a nose...and ur hair color...from another planet. ..Rafael here...how r u?"

Offline Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog

Offline Daws

• Seasoned Contributor
  • "Like a clam over my hard tummy!"
« Reply #2692 on: February 16, 2012, 04:15:08 AM »
Easy to be practical when you live on miles and miles of flat desert!

Utah is the most geologically diverse state in the U.S.  There are three different mountain ranges that rim the Salt Lake valley alone.

So you're saying that those in Utah know a lot about rimming? O:)
"The only people I fear are those who never have doubts." -Billy Joel, 1993

Offline Daws

• Seasoned Contributor
  • "Like a clam over my hard tummy!"
« Reply #2693 on: February 16, 2012, 06:55:27 AM »
Only 40% in a US survey answered yes to the question "Do ordinary tomatoes contain genes?" 
Genetic Engineering and Society, Lecture 6a, Honors Collegium 70A, UCLA
(around sometime after min. 25)
"The only people I fear are those who never have doubts." -Billy Joel, 1993

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2694 on: February 16, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »
Only 40% in a US survey answered yes to the question "Do ordinary tomatoes contain genes?" 

Maybe they thought the question was "Do ordinary tomatoes wear jeans?"
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2695 on: February 20, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
RMS* Titanic’s two main reciprocating steam engines provided power to a pair of screws on each side of the vessel. The engines stood 30 feet tall and weighed 1000 tons apiece.  Each of the triple-pass engines had a main cylinder of 54 inches, a second cylinder of 74 inches and a final cylinder of 97 inches, each with a 75 inch stroke providing an output of 1600 horsepower at an operating speed of 76 rpm. 

A 1600 horsepower steam turbine running at 116 rpm provided power to the center screw.

Steam at 250 pounds of pressure was provided from 20 double-ended triple furnace firetube boilers and 4 single-ended firetube boilers, for a total of 152 furnaces stoked by a crew of 150 men. Typical fuel consumption was 600 tons of coal per day.

*Corrected.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:18:04 PM by MikeHz »

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #2696 on: February 20, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »
The Titanic was contracted to deliver Royal mail so her rightful prefix was RMS, for Royal Mail Ship.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
« Reply #2697 on: February 20, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »
The Titanic had three screws, two on reversible reciprocating steam engines on each side, and one in the middle on a non-reversible steam turbine engine. The rudder design was small for a ship of her size, and the centre turbine was positioned directly forward of the rudder. When they spotted the iceberg, the engine room called for the engines to be reversed to avoid the ice. Because the centre screw could not be reversed, it simply stopped, reducing water flow over the rudder, hence drastically reducing the rudders effectiveness. If the centre screw had simply kept running, the rudder probably would have successfully turned the ship out of danger.

Offline Beη

• Well Established
« Reply #2698 on: February 20, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »
Only 40% in a US survey answered yes to the question "Do ordinary tomatoes contain genes?"  Genetic Engineering and Society, Lecture 6a, Honors Collegium 70A, UCLA (around sometime after min. 25)

More about the 40% figure here.  This is an explicit example of how a general understanding of basic science could greatly benefit the population.

Thanks for the video, BTW, looks like an interesting series.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2699 on: February 22, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »
Old World Vultures and New World Vultures are unrelated, being an example of convergent evolution. New World Vultures have an excellent sense of smell which they use to locate decaying carcasses, whereas Old World Vultures lack almost any sense of smell, as do most other birds.