Poll

You find yourself 10 years old again but have retained all the memories, knowledge and experiecne you've gained in your life since then. How do you go forward?

Life do-over.  I am going to make HUGE changes to affect how my personal life turns out.
Pretty happy with how my life turned out.  Maybe make a few tweaks here and there to see what happens.
Don't change a thing! I don't want to risk losing any thing that I've achieved the first time around.
Make massive changes to alter major historical events (like preventing 9/11 or something similar...)

Author Topic: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence  (Read 131780 times)

Online Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived the Forum crash of '14 !
Re: The Twitter Thread--A Thread of Great Consequence
« Reply #6795 on: April 23, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
A facebook friend posted a quote by Neil Degrasse Tyson and someone responded with :
If you ever watch programs like The Universe or How the Universe Works most of them are overtly phenomenal with adjectives and absolutes. It makes me sick that their branch of science is portrayed in such a manner. But Neil takes the cake. He's a little more slick than his counterparts. Despite his intelligence he's egotistical, narrow minded, and ignorant of anyone who argues his views. I can't stand that he was picked to replicate Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It's a disgrace. Neil has some great quotes but I don't envy or think highly of him in any manner.

WTF, does NDT actually evoke this much passion?  And I'm not exactly a fan of NDT so I can't say much about him or his style but most of this seems far from reality.
Any chance your friend is a closet racist ?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Online Anders

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6796 on: April 23, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »
What a piece of work is bacon! How rich in taste, how infinite in savour, in smoking and frying how delicious and tempting!

Proud child of the Enlightenment

I survived the Great Forum Disaster of 2014. Never Forget.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Frequent Poster
    • Anomalina
« Reply #6797 on: April 23, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »
A facebook friend posted a quote by Neil Degrasse Tyson and someone responded with :
If you ever watch programs like The Universe or How the Universe Works most of them are overtly phenomenal with adjectives and absolutes. It makes me sick that their branch of science is portrayed in such a manner. But Neil takes the cake. He's a little more slick than his counterparts. Despite his intelligence he's egotistical, narrow minded, and ignorant of anyone who argues his views. I can't stand that he was picked to replicate Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It's a disgrace. Neil has some great quotes but I don't envy or think highly of him in any manner.

WTF, does NDT actually evoke this much passion?  And I'm not exactly a fan of NDT so I can't say much about him or his style but most of this seems far from reality.

The person probably should have written "overtly phenomenological"? But they also probably actually meant "materialistic" or "naturalistic" by what they should have written. :)
I don't see how NDGT differs from any other science popularizer or Sagan in this. But yeah, ask what they meant first.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Offline Friendly Angel

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6798 on: April 23, 2014, 01:20:20 PM »

I can't stand when people say something makes them sick... it's such bogus hyperbole.

NdGT is a popularizer - in many ways he's even better at it than Carl was.  His podcast, where his co-hosts are comedians who actually seem to enjoy learning things and having their minds blown, is a fine way to connect with the genpop.  I think it's unrealistic to compare him to Lawrence Krauss types (which it seems your FB friend is sort of doing subtly).

Offline Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6799 on: April 23, 2014, 01:44:23 PM »
First, the caustic post was not my friend it was the friend of a friend.  My friend was actually pro-DGT.
Second, I posted here because I do not want to debate anyone on facebook. 

I was just sorta caught of guard by the vitriol for a guy who in my opinion goes out of his way to be nice.  Again, I don't follow much of what NTD does, maybe he is a bigger jerk than I think.   :-\   

Offline lonely moa

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6800 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »
Once again, Dr Oz admits he was wrong (about saturated fat).  I can respect that.

Do you have a link? I am in a hurry but a brief google turned up nothing.

“It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child”

Pablo Picasso

Offline mickal777

• Beleth Gave Me 100 Gold
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Flowers blooming on the mountain ridge
    • Trips to Japan!
« Reply #6801 on: April 23, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
You find yourself 10 years old again but have retained all the memories, knowledge and experiecne you've gained in your life since then. How do you go forward?

Oh man you have NO idea what I'd do...

ha ha oh wow

Online pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: non-binary anarchy
    • Oodles of Doodles - My blog
« Reply #6802 on: April 23, 2014, 07:47:28 PM »

Implicit bias is the basis for a lot of "closet racism".

Basically, if this person is from the US, there is a non-zero chance they hold racial biases.

Oh, and Neil de Grasse Tyson is the best.

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Frequent Poster
    • Anomalina
« Reply #6803 on: April 23, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »

Implicit bias is the basis for a lot of "closet racism".

Basically, if this person is from the US, there is a non-zero chance they hold racial biases.

Oh, and Neil de Grasse Tyson is the best.

You mean a 100% chance?
And I would be pretty confident extending to "if this person is human..."
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Offline GodSlayer

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #6804 on: Today at 12:35:09 AM »
What a piece of work is bacon! How rich in taste, how infinite in savour, in smoking and frying how delicious and tempting!

the second season of Hannibal is entertaining me much more than season 1.
Quote from: Charlie Brooker, How TV Ruined Your Life
"...we spend more time gazing at luminous screens than into the eyes of our loved ones."

personate-rain