Author Topic: NECSS 2016  (Read 5011 times)

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Off to a Start
Re: NECSS 2016
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »
Anyone who wants to come skepticamping with us can do so insteeeead.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline brilligtove

• Frequent Poster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »

I'll bite. What's involved? Do I need to pack extra e's for the trip? Is it really camping, or are we just sleeping in the park?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Off to a Start
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »

I'll bite. What's involved? Do I need to pack extra e's for the trip? Is it really camping, or are we just sleeping in the park?

Not real camping for me. Other people want to do tents that's just dandy... but I like to have a shower regularly.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »

Not real camping for me. Other people want to do tents that's just dandy... but I like to have a shower regularly.

I'm gonna reply to this here so as not to bogart the NECSS thread.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Craig Sachs

• Off to a Start
  • Caig S
NECSS 2016
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2016, 11:35:27 PM »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:26:02 AM by Craig Sachs »

Offline daniel1948

• Well Established
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 07:05:46 PM »
I think I've been listening to SGU for about 7 years or so, and I've always enjoyed it. I'm not really a fan of Dawkin's writings and do not endorse or condemn any of his views. But hearing about this whole NECSS ordeal just makes me think that far too much of this movement is caught up in ideological purity and right-thinking. Maybe it always was. In any case, I'm unsubscribing from the podcast. If we can't have calm discussions and hear from those who we disagree with on political and social issues, this really is not a movement I want any part of. I think I get exposure to enough tiring culture war flareups on other sections of the internet. So long, and I wish the panel and everyone else the best.

So this guy, who I presume is not reading this, registered for this forum just to tell us that he has unsubscribed from a podcast he enjoyed for seven years, because he disagrees with a decision made by a committee that the host of the podcast happens to hold one seat on. He is leaving a movement whose principles (science and skepticism) he presumably believes in, just because the participants in this very broad movement cannot agree to always be nice to each other.

Pardon me for saying it, but anyone who thinks that the members of any broad movement can be at all times polite and courteous with each other is living in a fantasy world. Consider Christianity: A religion founded on the principle of love and non-judgementalism, whose supposed god/savior explicitly told them not to quarrel among themselves, has broken up into a gazillion factions that throughout history have slaughtered each other over questions of dogma. If they can't play nice, it's pretty silly to expect us to. I think we've done damn well, considering.

If I thought that mej322 was reading this, I'd tell him, unsubscribing from a fun, informative podcast that he says he enjoys, because he disagrees with a decision of an entirely separate, if affiliated, body, is his own loss. Nobody is hurt by his no longer listening, but himself. Pretty silly, if you ask me. And as far as "being a part of" the movement, if all you ever did was listen to a podcast, you aren't really a "member" of any movement. If you are reading this, mej322, goodbye and good luck to you. I can't say I'll miss you since in all these seven years, you never posted until now so I didn't know you existed. Good luck finding any group of even three people that never loses its temper at each other from time to time.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »
Hey you nerds, discounted early registration ends today!  Prices go up 23% or some damn thing.  So get yourselves registered.

https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07ebpb2fi82d436c18&oseq=&c=&ch=

We hope to have a nice SGUF Gooberama Dinner on the Saturday night.  Who's in? 
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
I am.
#notarealskeptic

Online stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
Makes me wonder how many institutions/communities grow and become successful because they don't share their any of the big decisions with 99% of the members.

Take comfort in the fact that the vast majority of crybabies regarding this issue are probably NOT members of the New York Skeptics, New England Skeptical Society, or the Society for Science Based Medicine.  They have no skin in the game but want their wishes to be recognized and respected.

Well.  There it is.

personate-rain
personate-rain