Author Topic: Introduce yourself here!  (Read 327313 times)

Offline rebecca

• SGU Panel Member
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.skepchick.org
Introduce yourself here!
« on: May 18, 2006, 05:00:04 AM »
Welcome to the official forum of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe. Tell us a little about yourself!
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
Hi All :)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 01:59:46 PM »
Thanks Rebecca for setting up this board for us.  I look forward to chatting with all of you and thanks for listening.
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Erik

• Not Enough Spare Time
Hi
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 06:23:54 PM »
I just recently came across the podcast and have been enjoying going back in time listening to the episodes.

I'm a married guy in the midwest, live the suburbs, and have two kids and a dog. Somehow I'm a liberal atheist despite the perfect sterotype. I have a great interest in science although, even with my degree in physics, I'd consider myself a layman.

I guess that will do for an introduction.

Offline chris

• Off to a Start
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 10:21:38 PM »
Hi, I'm Chris.  I am an astrophysics masters student in New Zealand.  I found your podcast a few months ago and have been slowly catching up on all the episodes.  Of the 30 or so podcasts I listen to, yours is in the top half a dozen.

My skeptical interests are mainly ID/creationism, alternative medicine, psychics, and cryptozoology.

Thank you all for a great podcast, and I hope this message board becomes a popular place for skeptical discussion.

Offline rebecca

• SGU Panel Member
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.skepchick.org
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 06:01:34 AM »
Hey guys! Congratulations for getting in the forum on the ground floor. Tell your friends!
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline bort

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Nondiscovery blog
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 12:39:03 PM »
Hello.  I am a biology PhD student.  I am married with a kid in the suburbs but no dog.  I have never believed in UFOs or alternative medicine, but didn't always think of myself a skeptic until recently.  
My skeptical interests are in alternative medice, UFOs, and cyrptozoology.  I really don't pay attention to the ID/creationists due to the fact that I use evolutionary ideas on nearly a daily basis. However,  I do appreciate the work of Eugenie Scott and other evolution proponents.  

<----- I work on this organism
"Those that believe everything they read, should not read" - ?

Need to combat the discovery institute? http://nondiscovery.wordpress.com
Help with DNA analysis? http://www.bio-fyi.com

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 05:06:29 PM »
Hello fellow skeptics. My name is Richard and I live in Seattle WA where I am a junior at The University of Washington. My whole life I have been a very logical thinker and have never believed in any nonsense,  but I have only recently begun to call myself a skeptic because I didn’t know what else to call my outlook other than being intelligent.  I was also never really aware until recently how many people actually believe in a lot of the nonsense out there. So now I actively try to at least get my friends to think more critically.  Anyway, great podcast and  keep up the fight for sanity. :)
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 06:30:31 PM »
Hello everyone my name is Paul, I live in Margate Florida and I am on a few forums, as some people have found out, I have a very low tolerance for BS. I have put up with for over 50 years and am tried of it. I am short and to the point, which I can understand upsets some people, oh well.

Paul

:D  :D  :D
color=blue]"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given. - mine
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.[/color]

Offline JohnMaddox

• Off to a Start
Greetings!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 09:30:25 PM »
Hi everyone!   My name is John and I am a PhD organic chemist for a large chemical company in Tennessee.  I am married and have two young children (boy and a girl) and one dog and two cats.

I recently stumbled across "The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe" on iTunes and became immediately hooked.  I am currently working my way through the archive from the beginning (I'm on #11) and listening to new ones as they are posted.

I have been interested in the skeptical movement since graduate school when I shared laboratory hood space with a YEC.  And I remain fascinated to this day by folks who are good methodological naturalists in one specific area and yet remain methodological "supernaturalists" in other areas.  It is a very schizophrenic approach to life, IMHO.

Other interests of mine include the evolution/creation debate, history of early Christianity, and urban legends.

-John

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 10:03:11 PM »
Welcome, everyone.

I just wanted to say how priviledged we are to have the former editor of Nature magazine on board with us.  :)  Welcome, Sir John.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline bort

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Nondiscovery blog
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 10:41:46 PM »
Quote from: "JohnMaddox"
And I remain fascinated to this day by folks who are good methodological naturalists in one specific area and yet remain methodological "supernaturalists" in other areas.
I also find this aspect of people quite interesting.  I often hear a conversation at my university where grad students are talking about when their next visit to the local haunted house will be or how many UFOs they have seen in their lives.  I have not met a scientist who is a YEC, however I did work with a very good neuroscientist who left the field to pursue a degree in theology at Oxford Divinity school.
"Those that believe everything they read, should not read" - ?

Need to combat the discovery institute? http://nondiscovery.wordpress.com
Help with DNA analysis? http://www.bio-fyi.com

Offline JohnMaddox

• Off to a Start
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 10:43:44 PM »
See what happens when I use my real name!   :D

Of course, it's better than the question I usually get which is:  Are you related to Greg?

-John (the other one)

Offline mxracer652

• Brand New
Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 11:12:59 AM »
Hello all,

I'm Brendan, I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh PA, I enjoy the skeptics guide podcasts, local CFI group meetings, reading, cycling (road), motocross, and not watching TV.  I'm also employed as a mechanical engineer (please no Salem Hypothesis remarks) and your run of the mill atheist.

I caught onto the skeptics guide, via Tara Smith's blog Aetiology, when she was a guest on & have been following ever since.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Evan

• SGU Panel Member
  • Off to a Start
Hello friends
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 09:47:37 PM »
Hello all,

This is Evan, one of the skeptical rogues. Welcome to my first posting.

1 year ago, I along with my friends of over 15 years, began to experiment with podcasting. Our little experiment has blossomed into a widely listened to and embraced contribution to the worlds of skepticism and reason. As of this week, we are the highest ranked skeptical-based podcast in the world (source: I-Tunes). I am very proud to be a part of this team.

But I want to thank all of you, the listeners, for making the podcast a rousing success. Like any other show that is broadcast, podcast, or streamed, we are really only as good and effective as our audience affords us to be. So again, thank you all for listening.

I know this isn't much of a personal introduction, but it'll have to do for now. Talk to you again soon!

-Evan
"The masses are asses." - Perry DeAngelis

Offline cyborganics

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • http://www.cyborganics.org
I'm Mark, AKA Xenu
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 11:29:42 PM »
Hello!

My name is Mark but my friends have been calling me Xenu recently.

Yes, Xenu.

They decided it was appropriate after repeated Tom Cruise bashings on my part; that and I often don't get along with *certain* outwardly pleasant devoted folk. For a long time I thought it might be that I was miserable, cranky or merely uptight (all still possible). But I have been realizing lately that I am (an isolated) candid skeptic and that the misguided are simply misinterpreting my criticisms as audaciously dogmatic when they are, in fact, thoughtful conclusions based from diligent inquiry.

So a n y w a y , when I’m not working on making computer games or ranting about how religion and fairy-tale philosophies are unnecessary social constructs, I aspire to better understand these all too common human failings. To that end, my hope is to contribute to and promote the discussion of lucid secularism. I anticipate a societal paradigm shift in the next couple decades embracing apostasy; ironically as a direct result of incongruous harassment of the scientific method by the faithful.

Despite my newly found cheerful disposition, some of my friends still call me Xenu…

I am now considering a legal name change.
cientist: A man who knows nothing until there is nothing left to understand.

www.cyborganics.org

personate-rain