Author Topic: Skeptical Seamstress  (Read 14105 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: non-binary anarchy
    • The Artful Scientist (portfolio)
Re: Skeptical Seamstress
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
Izzy has great taste ;D

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
Izzy has exuberant taste, and a smart mama who helps her express it.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
'What a nose...and ur hair color...from another planet. ..Rafael here...how r u?" some dude on a dating site

Online DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2012, 07:00:17 AM »
Is this Skeptress sewing again? Did you manage to find/repair/replace everything from the move?

If so, YAY!

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
Is this Skeptress sewing again? Did you manage to find/repair/replace everything from the move?

If so, YAY!

Yes finally!  I've been rather slow to get restarted, but I got my machines back about 2 weeks ago. 
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #289 on: February 16, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »
My mom sewed a lot of our clothes when I was a kid, and she let us pick out patterns and fabrics.  One garment that I utterly cherished was...srsly...a knickers-jumpsuit made from...oh lord...lavender houndstooth polyester double-knit.  Objectively, I'm now sure it was totally hideous, and my mom probably thought so at the time, but since that's what I wanted, she built it for me.

So I'm glad to see that Izzy's mom makes her the exuberant, cheery stuff she wants to wear.  :)
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
'What a nose...and ur hair color...from another planet. ..Rafael here...how r u?" some dude on a dating site

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
« Reply #290 on: February 20, 2012, 08:53:55 AM »
Oh, an update!

EDIT -

I wonder how much of the style is Skeptress' and how much is her daughter's.  Custom doll clothes, that is cool.  And I mean that in the most masculine way possible.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:07:38 AM by andrewclunn »
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #291 on: February 21, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
A pillow case for each girl. I hate having to dig for the tooth and this was the perfect solution.

Eight Days for Girls Kits.  This is an international organization that gives sanitary kits to girls in Africa.  In each kit are reusable pads, washcloths, panties, soap, and ziploc bags to wash them in.  I was really pleased with these and mailed them off today.  I made two washcloths for each kit, but bought the panties.  I tied the liners up with ribbon because I know I always loved to tie mine hair up with a pretty ribbon.

Washcloths

Liners

Pads

And the bags ready to go.
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #292 on: February 21, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »
I'm so jelly.  Wish I had mad skillz like you.

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Local Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mainah's
« Reply #293 on: February 21, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »
I'm so jelly.  Wish I had mad skillz like you.

+1
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #294 on: February 21, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
+2

Im also having weird cognitive dissonance from the pads. The happy bright patterns are so at odds with the usual way most women react to any mention of menstruation, and both are at odds with my own thoughts on the matter (basically "I dont see what all the fuss is about; no big deal"). My brain is flip flopping all over the place trying to match the concepts with each other.

It sounds like a really good cause, btw. You should be totally proud.
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #295 on: February 21, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »
Thanks everyone.  For the pads I just used whatever I had on hand.  I know they are going to help 8 girls tremendously. 

Offline ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #296 on: February 21, 2012, 09:25:52 PM »
Pads

Are they the kind of pads I think they are?  :o
"God works in mysterious ways.  And by mysterious I mean sadistic." ~ Brian Thompson, AmSci podcast

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #297 on: February 21, 2012, 11:02:52 PM »
Are they the kind of pads I think they are?

Depends what you think they are, but probably yes.

sanitary kits
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #298 on: February 22, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
Pads

For menstruation?  Yes they are.  These young women have no access to disposable products and instead use dirty rags, ashes, or sit on mats for the duration having to leave school and or work.  These kits allow them to clean themselves and to continue with their daily lives.  I know lots of women here in the US that started with cloth diapering their children and later turned to cloth products for themselves.

Offline Halleyscomet/Wakefield

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #299 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
Pads

For menstruation?  Yes they are.  These young women have no access to disposable products and instead use dirty rags, ashes, or sit on mats for the duration having to leave school and or work.  These kits allow them to clean themselves and to continue with their daily lives.  I know lots of women here in the US that started with cloth diapering their children and later turned to cloth products for themselves.

Have you tried making cloth sanitary pads and selling them online as an additional source of revenue?

personate-rain