Author Topic: Anyone up for some online RPGing?  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
Re: Anyone up for some online RPGing?
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »
Yeah, going back and watching these, I've noticed that damn I fill my pauses a lot but there's also some pretty intense scenes going on. Which, speaking of which, this past week was pretty interesting for that... it (and probably most of this coming week too) was an extended flashback into Constantijn's life, with tether and Simon playing his brothers (if you're good to go this week I'm sure we can figure out a place for you as well - in fact I feel like a big part of the fun was coming up with characters and interpersonal conflicts on the fly).

Speaking of which I am all but 100% positive I won't have to pack my bags this weekend so let's call this an early roll call!
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline Simon Jester

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2015, 05:10:48 PM »
I propose we give Tabletop a try next session after Johnny settles in Chicago (backed up with Roll20 or Google Hangouts) then play Fantasy grounds on the following and see which we like better.

I had spoken to Johnny a while back about exploring different game playing options and we agreed that it would be interesting as long as it did not take away from the game itself. The two options I looked at the most were Tabletop simulator and Fantasy Grounds, Both available on Steam and online.

We played some board games with Tabletop simulator the weeks that there were not enough players for FATE and I was really happy with the results. As a side note I think we should set up a separate thread for playing tabletop as there are plenty of decent games on there as well as a few live mafia/werewolf setups.

What I didn't like about it was not seeing the other players faces. I enjoy the webcams so I would like to propose we also log into Google hangouts or skype. I'm curious if other players have the resources and screen real estate to handle running both.

For playing FATE on tabletop it mite be a good idea to continue using Roll 20 for webcams and the few things that tabletop wont cover as well like character sheets although hangouts mite also handle all this stuff nicely.

The other thing I would like to do is use the Deck of FATE cards as well as dice so I designed a test deck that works in Tabletop and will soon be able to import into Roll 20 or other systems. The deck is playable in tabletop now, I'm waiting for my wife the brilliant artist to make some finishing touches on the card faces, mine sort of suck and I want to include more information like the actual dice roles and the sun/moon phases from the original card set. I also may consider removing all images I dont have permission to use and upload a deck for use to all steam players (Modiphius the game designer mite be ok with it, it advertises their game and Fate is mostly open source)

I also built a FATE gaming environment in tabletop using already existing game sets and pieces modeled heavily off of "Ultimate Table - RPG" by pigneedle. Its still not final and needs some work as well as the addition of the official Achtung Cthulhu official game tiles I purchased. I think it would be worth a try on the next session as long as we dont loose the webcams. The beta is playable now and the changes i want to make to it can be done by next session. I was also hoping to get some input from other players.

I am also willing to dump tabletop in favor of Fantasy Grounds which looses the cool 3d but it has everything needed to play the perfect RPG in any system and its well play tested.

Tabletop Simulator Actung! Cthulhu FATE setup images 1st iteration

The Holodeck background looks cool but its actually a physical modal and it blocks all the light/shadows so it must go (its also hard to get rid of)

GM screen

each of the bags behind the GM screen contain game tiles, maps, pieces and other assorted goodies. tons of content.

SGU Achtung! Cthulhu Deck of Fate  Card backs (this version was designed just for us but if the SGU logo is a problem it can easily be removed

SGU Achtung! Cthulhu Deck of Fate Card faces (iteration 1, these will get much better)

Offline brilligtove

• Well Established
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #317 on: August 10, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »

SGU Achtung! Cthulhu Deck of Fate  Card backs (this version was designed just for us but if the SGU logo is a problem it can easily be removed

SGU Achtung! Cthulhu Deck of Fate Card faces (iteration 1, these will get much better)

I like that logo though the pose of our heroine is somewhat strained.

Is the order of the cards ( -4 -2 -3 -1...) important?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #318 on: August 10, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »
They'll get randomly shuffled. I helped Simon out with the distribution of the numbers (inasmuch as I found a website that had already done the work and took credit for it). Tabletop Simulator will auto-shuffle the deck for you. Admittedly it'd be even awesomer to have the +'s and the -'s noted on the cards so you can see how your roll turned out (because I feel like a ++-- is a different flavor of +0 than a 0000) but as I am not the person who did all of the work I am NOT complaining.

In game-related news, we FINALLY finalized the thing so I should be in Chicago tomorrow. We'll see how the wifi at the hotel is for resuming Saturday.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #319 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:04 PM »
Can't make Saturday. :(
going to be drunk at a BBQ.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Simon Jester

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2015, 11:01:40 PM »
The next version of the deck will have all the dice combos. I'm still holding on art.  I would like to add the suns and moons but unless there is a formula for that too then Johnny would have to count and write stuff down instead of pointing to others work. Oh I also need 81 skeptical quotes. Lol.

I updated the tabletop playspace fixing the background and tweaking the table itself. I added the "nazi base " tile set. There are a few more things to add before I consider it done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

personate-rain