Author Topic: Science Based Alchemy - a new skeptical WoW guild!  (Read 11772 times)

Offline whitedevilbrewing

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Science Based Alchemy - a new skeptical WoW guild!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 02:21:02 AM »
That's a bummer =[ 

Offline Funkytown

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 08:40:20 AM »
Yeah, that stinks. We'd love to have you. =(

Curiously... what don't you like about horde?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:42:30 AM by Funkytown »

Offline whitedevilbrewing

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 03:06:35 PM »
Are you sure??? Free bags!

Offline Austin Yun

• Brand New
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 10:20:37 PM »
Alright, may as well try it out. At the moment I have an 0/17/54 Unholy DK, but I'm willing to roll a Warlock (my old main) or Mage.

Curiously... what don't you like about horde?

Long story. If you tl;dr, I'm a lore nerd and don't like the Horde with the almost sole exception of Thrall. Just about everything progressive in Azeroth has been done by the Alliance side, with the exception of listening to Medivh and fleeing to Kalimdor, but then again, Jaina did that too.

I came to WoW long after the release of WotLK, after playing the Warcraft III 1v1 ladder competitively since release, peaking at around rank 600 in US East, which honestly, isn't that good. Since I played Undead, and Undead picks Death Knight as first hero in 3/4 or 4/4 matchups depending on your style, when I heard they were making DKs a playable class in WoW I was excited. So, the first thing I do is roll an Undead Warlock (thinking it would be the closest thing to a Lich. Should have gone Frost Mage instead).

So, I quest all across Azeroth and Outland on my way to Lv. 65 (was originally planning on capping my Warlock before rolling a DK) and, being quite the lore buff after playing the Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne campaigns all the way through on Normal and Hard, I came to the following conclusions about the Horde: They're lame.

The Alliance has all the epic cities: Stormwind, Ironforge, Darnassus, and my favorite, Dalaran. To a lesser extent, Shattrath and the Exodar. The Horde has Orgrimmar (an ugly clusterfuck), and the Undercity... which is the ruins of an Alliance city.

In terms of races, the Humans are a bit dickish, but the Dwarves have a great focus on creating things (metallurgy and stonework) and discovering history (the Explorer's League). Gnomish Engineering is awesome, and the Gnomes are basically the most technically advanced guys on the planet. The Night Elves spawned the most powerful mortal mage born on Azeroth (Azshara), and Tyrande / Malfurion are the best racial leaders in the game, having been instrumental in fighting off the Burning Legion twice over 10,000 years. The Draenei are space goats with awesome face tentacles. Enough said. Oh, and Archimonde was only killed by the combined forces of nearly all Azeroth, after leveling Dalaran with a single spell. And he's still not as strong as Kil'Jaeden, who is probably the strongest non-Titan immortal mage, but who barely ever needs to break out the magic. You know the Wrath of the Lich King? Yeah, he created the Lich King.

The Horde races are all basically nomadic and/or tribal, except for the Forsaken, who want to kill every other living thing on Azeroth. Good job, guys. The Blood Elves are the most advanced, having built an epic city and helped defend Azeroth in the 2nd and 3rd wars before going on a revenge trip fueled in part by their heroin, er, magic addiction.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:53:18 PM by Austin Yun »

Offline Funkytown

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 10:22:57 AM »
Fair enough points. I still think I like the Horde more, however. I am also a nut for the lore, btw.

In terms of the history of the races, you're right. Horde are somewhat boring. Although, if you read Christie Golden's book "Rise of the Horde"... that's a pretty awesome book.

At any rate... I think the lure of the Horde is in their CURRENT status in the game. They have more intrigue to me. They're just more interesting. They are a brand new faction built by the pure tenacity and passion of a few disenfranchised races. Against all odds they came together and built a superpower out of virtually nothing. Now the struggle every day to maintain themselves as a force of change and importance in the world.

Now... many people make the argument that many of the horde leaders and forces do some pretty awful or downright evil things... Again, that's what makes them as a faction so interesting. While I don't condone the actions of people like Putress or Garrosh, I also think that what they did and will continue to do keep the Horde interesting.

Many of the Horde leaders disagree with what they did, and many of the Horde leaders agree or condone it. It's the struggles of a new nation of people that are trying to create something of themselves and establish a culture and unity that can sustain themselves.

Maybe it's these similarities to the early American struggle that lends its appeal to me.

Also, you can pull out solitary examples of Horde awesomeness too. For example... you could argue that without the trolls then Sargeras would have taken over Azeroth 10,000 years ago. Instead Brox sacrificed himself to stop Sargeras.

I will admit that the Alliance have way cooler looking cities, though. =P

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
So you guys are going to love Archeology.  It's all lore related stuff.  I've been playing the Beta and they finally turned on Archeology.  Very cool, although it's a bit of a pain to level.
#notarealskeptic

Offline JPM

• Delusions of Grandeur
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
Ugh, As tempting as it is to xfer my 80s over...
I am pretty sure my girlfriend would leave/kill me if I picked up Wow again, even if it casual. She is under the forgive never forget mentality.

Offline Funkytown

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »
I am pretty sure my girlfriend would leave/kill me if I picked up Wow again, even if it casual. She is under the forgive never forget mentality.

That's a shame. I know someone in RL who has to deal with a girlfriend who has an EXTREME bias against WoW. He plays, maybe, 10 or 12 hours a week, and she LITERALLY thinks he plays over 40 hours a week. In discussions when she's asked to explain WHY she doesn't like him playing WoW she proceeds to foam at the mouth and rant about getting "real" friends... I hate her. lol

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »

Dude, chic's like the rebel's. Just say "damn it woman, I do what I want. I'll be over here gaming with my pep's!". She might look upset at first, but really she's just plotting the best way sex up your defiant ass.  You can shower me in gold later for the advice :P

I was recently hanging with my brother, his soon to be wife and one of there friends. The friend said she would not have married her husband had she known he played WOW.  I was like WTF, one how could you not know before hand and dude if it's at the point where your wife is telling other people she wouldn't have married you might be playing to much. Although she might be one of the haters.

Offline Austin Yun

• Brand New
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
Yeah. I don't have a problem with being evil (playing as Arthas, from his time as a paladin to his becoming the Lich King, or Illidan turning into a demon, or Kael'Thas following Illidan), but the Forsaken and Sylvannas aren't awesome evil, they're butthurt evil. It's like Maiev chasing Illidan around. I honestly don't know what they're going to do in Cataclysm now that the Lich King is dead.

As for girlfriends and wives... lol.

Anyway, I realized that to transfer my DK, I'd have to pay for a server AND faction change, which I'm not going to do. Only T9.1 geared anyway, and it's not like I got some ridiculous achievements like Loremaster. I checked the guild roster in the Armory and you have a crap ton of mages, so I rolled an Orc DK (SuiƧmez, though I wanted Azagthoth). I'm on right now, so if anyone else is, send me an invite.

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
I saw you on about 5:30 server time, but you didn't reply to my tell.
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline Funkytown

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »
Make sure that you fill out an app on the website. It's pretty much a formality. I want to require everyone to do it so that we don't have any favoritism accusations.

The main reason for apps is to screen out the chumps who hear about the guild in game and don't want to go through the minimal effort of going to a website and filling out a quick app. If they're not willing to do that then they're not what we're looking for.

Already avoided a few jerks that way.

Good to have you, btw!

Offline Austin Yun

• Brand New
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 10:47:53 PM »
Alright, well while I'm leveling tonight I'll be in custom channel sgu as well. Sorry for missing the tell, I was probably afk doing something. Filled out an app.

Offline Funkytown

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »
Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that. Anybody who gets on and starts a character or transfers to our server just join the sgu channel ( type /join sgu) and you'll probably get somebody that way. We use to use that channel back before the guild was officially formed.

We've seen a decent response from the plug that we got on the SGU. Can't wait to see more of you guys in there. We're steadily growing and pretty soon we'll be doing lots of awesome stuff.

Offline JPM

• Delusions of Grandeur
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »

Dude, chic's like the rebel's. Just say "damn it woman, I do what I want. I'll be over here gaming with my pep's!". She might look upset at first, but really she's just plotting the best way sex up your defiant ass.  You can shower me in gold later for the advice :P

I was recently hanging with my brother, his soon to be wife and one of there friends. The friend said she would not have married her husband had she known he played WOW.  I was like WTF, one how could you not know before hand and dude if it's at the point where your wife is telling other people she wouldn't have married you might be playing to much. Although she might be one of the haters.

Yea, I don't think she would actually leave me, but I like living in this delusion because it helps out my will power.  WoW was pretty much a part time job for me from when it was released until this past February.

I have been avoiding this question for a while, but when is the cataclysm release date? If things slow down this fall I may bring a toon over for some casual play.

personate-rain
personate-rain