Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 107703 times)

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 02:18:15 AM »
Fixed gear. Why am I not surprised. ;)

hater, you just jealous cause my ride shines

what you got against fixies?

Being a fat unfit bastard who lives at the top of a hill, my objection to fixies is purely pragmatic.
^^

I don't live on top of a hill, but the principle is sound.

Also, I'm generally annoyed by the hipster crowd.

Hey check it out. You have the same birthday as my mum.

</offtopic>

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 02:20:13 AM »
Fixed gear. Why am I not surprised. ;)

hater, you just jealous cause my ride shines

what you got against fixies?

Being a fat unfit bastard who lives at the top of a hill, my objection to fixies is purely pragmatic.
^^

I don't live on top of a hill, but the principle is sound.

Hey check it out. You have the same birthday as my mum.

</offtopic>

It is the best day of the year. :)
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline SkepticalVegan

• Well Established
    • Skeptical Vegan
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 02:31:20 AM »

as am I
I dislike coffee and wine, hate most indie music, cant stand the 70's look for guys coming back, prefer mp3s to record collecting, dont get me started on the womens fashions
I do have tight jeans though, it keep them from getting caught in the chain, Ive had other pants caught and literally ripped off. it took a while getting used to tight pants, i was a skater punk in baggy shorts growing up

the bike messenger + bike punk scene in atlanta was pretty cool though, had its share of hip folks but they held an annual large alley cats race for charity and many sporadic smaller ones for fun, they have a community bike depot where you can come and learn basic bike maintenance for free or donation or build a bike from donated parts for hella cheap, they also help send hundreds of bikes to Mexico, Central America, and Cuba with Bikes Across Borders. Monthly critical mass too that is pretty large and some of the after parties, my god! One involved 5 different apartments on various floor plus the roof moving from one room to the next highest one at different times through the night and each apartment had a theme drink and decorations, so drunk and loud...I miss atlanta...as you can tell Im ranting, I'll shut up now
Pythagorean Posse at TAM9, get ready!!!
No gods, no masters, No whey! Ⓥ
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/

Offline leonet

• Well Established
    • http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=leonet&t=39227
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 12:31:31 PM »
Hmm.. Amazon has a pretty good deal on a SRAM crankset and bottom bracket

http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-S300-Courier-GXP-Crankset/dp/B003WOIQF2/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added

Anyone know anything about SRAM's quality?

AFAIK SRAM parts are equivalent or superior to Shimano in quality/price ratio but they're better known in the mountain biking field.  The only thing to be careful about is the fact that some of their derailleurs are incompatible with other systems (i.e. a SRAM derailleur needs a SRAM shifter).

Cranksets and such should be interchangeable though.
Use the word cybernetics, Norbert, because nobody knows what it means. This will always put you at an advantage in arguments.” -Claude Shannon

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »
OK, good to know.

I've seen lots of mountain bikes with SRAM components, but never any track bike gear.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »
FSM, what a miserable commute home I had today. Traffic was ridiculous in Boston, then when I finally got onto the Charles River Bike Trail the setting sun was directly in my eyes, and because the weather was unseasonably warm every idiot and their girlfriend decided to go for a romantic walk along the river, which totally choked up the bike trail.

Then there were all the shitty student running teams practicing.. guh. As I rode past the BU campus some fart huffing moron from the BU men's track team decided that rather than descending the remaining few steps down the foot bridge which joins up with the bike trail and then check for oncoming traffic before going around the guard rail which was erected presumably to prevent people from getting into easily avoidable (well, easily avoidable if you aren't a boner biting retard) accidents he was just going to vault OVER the guard rail, and land right on top of me.

Had I been six inches to the right it would have been a serious accident, as it was I just got slapped on the arm by him as I sped past at 22mph.. But he deserved a furious ass kicking for that shenanigan.

Then, crossing back into Cambridge the traffic in Harvard Square was epic. I broke one of my cardinal rules and started weaving in between cars because I literally wasn't moving.

Honestly, how do people drive cars during rush hour? At what point do they finally say "Enough! I spend 14 hours a week sitting in a car in stop and go traffic"? It only took me 12 months of living in the suburbs and commuting to the city to decide that I would never live further than a 10 mile radius from where I work.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline leonet

• Well Established
    • http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=leonet&t=39227
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear that.  I live in Boston but have a shuttle bus to work which sits in traffic for an hour each way.  It's less annoying when someone else does the driving.

But yeah, the traffic and road configuration is just obscene; one afternoon I was in a parking lot on the I-93 and it seemed as though two out of every three cars contained a solitary fat ass driver in a 4000lb SUV.  :-\  ::)
Use the word cybernetics, Norbert, because nobody knows what it means. This will always put you at an advantage in arguments.” -Claude Shannon

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 10:01:09 PM »
Yeah, I used to commute from Framingham to Melrose everyday. I think round trip I spent like 4 hours a day in traffic.

I get the shuttle bus thing. I took the commuter rail a few times and even though it took me about an hour to get to work it seemed like time just flew by and I had time to read.

But the whole sitting in traffic staring at the taillights of the car in front of you thing just doesn't make sense to me.

There was a study out recently that showed the supposed cost savings of living in the suburbs are completely eliminated by the amount of money and time spent on gas and travel.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 10:01:52 PM »
Had I been six inches to the right it would have been a serious accident, as it was I just got slapped on the arm by him as I sped past at 22mph..

Isn't the speed limit on the bike path 5 mph?
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 01:35:14 AM »
Had I been six inches to the right it would have been a serious accident, as it was I just got slapped on the arm by him as I sped past at 22mph..

Isn't the speed limit on the bike path 5 mph?

Depends on where you are. Some areas around my house go as high as 15 mph on the bike trails. I don't know what the laws are in Boston.

My bus ride from home tonight was so jarring I actually got a little nauseous - and I never get car sick. I got off the bus early and rode the rest of the way home. It was nice.

Offline Bunsen

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 01:53:32 AM »
I watched a guy faceplant in front of my store this morning, since apparently he didn't know that garbage cans are made out of matter, and that your bike stops if you hit them, even if you're going over 15 mph when you do so.

People in Cleveland are so bad with bikes.  I think it's because there are only two to three weeks a year where you can use them here.

Offline David "Stubb" Oswald

• Ass. Professor of Agronomy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Lived, perspicacious, philosophic wisdom.
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 02:19:55 AM »
There are always a few amazing bike wrecks on campus every year that I love to watch.

When I lived in the dorms there was a fairly busy street that needed to be crossed in order to make in to class.  This intersection was usually lined with about 20-100 kids on each end waiting for the walk signal to cross the street, and you could time the walk signal by watching for yellow lights from the street.  So naturally before the walk signal and after the cars stopped the students would march across the intersection.  One particularity busy day I see someone on a bike flying down towards the intersecytion on the cross walk, and this gentleman timed the flow of traffic right so that when he hit the intersection going way to fast he would be there right when the students started crossing.  This gentleman had the dressings of a complete tool and my suspicions where confirmed when he tried to get on the opposing sidewalk by bunny hopping at full speed off the street.  His front tire did not clear the very small height difference and he, in front of several dozen peers, went over the handle bars and landed squarely on his face.  He had a helmet on but he broke his oakleys and busted up his face bad enough to cause a fair amount of bleeding.  He got up fairly quick, picked up his bike, and ran with it away from the onlookers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:22:09 AM by David "Stubb" Oswald »
If you read a book and it changes your life, you are fucked. -Seth Romatelli

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 02:33:29 AM »
One day, while cycling to school, I was literally across the street from campus on my bike (not my shiny new one, this was the bike I had years ago) when car tried to right turn into me. I was in the ped crossing, going with the walk signal (fully green light) and this jackass wasn't looking both ways (like you're supposed to). Fortunately, another biker saw what I couldn't (this was all happening in my blind spot) and screamed at the turd driver to stop. It was very nice of the man ^_^

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2010, 03:36:41 AM »
I've nearly been cleaned up a few times while riding. My old route to work used to run down a main road which has a small bike lane on the side. However the bike lane also doubles as parking so you spend much of time in the door zone. Never hit one but I've had a few close calls.

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 05:12:42 AM »
I used to have a cheap steel department store bike, but this year I finally decided to get myself something nice, so I got a bright red Norco Mountaineer.  I put 1267 km on it this year, which is a lot considering how short the summer is in Edmonton, and that I only use it for fun.