Author Topic: Comic books/Graphic novels  (Read 15988 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
Comic books/Graphic novels
« on: December 28, 2010, 03:31:04 AM »
There seems to be a lack of discussion about comics not web-based on this forum. I aim to rectify that.

Have you read any lately? Were they good? Were they bad? Did they make you question your existence?

A comic I've been paying attention to is Fables - it's still being produced, I think, and the collections are up to 14 or 15. I just finished reading #12 and it was great, of course. The premise of Fables is pretty straight forward: the people/creatures from fairy tales, myth, and legend exist in parallel worlds to ours. There's some war and strife and more conflict and it's beautifully drawn.

Y: The Last Man finished up this year I think, and has a total of 10 collections. It was an apocalyptic comic - as the title implies, there's one guy left alive after a horrible event occurs. I thought the writers did a good job with the character development, which can be hard given the limited media they work in.

I'm thinking of starting to read a newish comic called The Unwritten. Any one heard of it?
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Bunsen

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
Re: Comic books/Graphic novels
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 04:36:16 AM »
I really liked The Umbrella Academy by Gabriel Ba.  Even if it was written by the front-man for My Chemical Romance, the worst band since Men At Work and The Beatles.

I was searching for an iconic image from the series I could show you to demonstrate the art.

Instead I found this.  When I get around to cropping it, I think it'll be my new avatar.

(click to show/hide)

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 05:19:41 AM »
I really liked The Umbrella Academy by Gabriel Ba.  Even if it was written by the front-man for My Chemical Romance, the worst band since Men At Work and The Beatles.

Even though you've demonstrated that you have questionable musical tastes, you're the second person who's recommended The Umbrella Academy. I keep forgetting about it. :D

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:23:54 AM »
Our post library has a small selection that I keep meaning to check out and then promptly forget to do so.  Maybe I'll remember tomorrow. 
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Janus

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
I hear Fables is wonderful.  That's next up on my queue.

I finished re-reading The Sandman series over the holidays.  Absolutely wonderful.  Amazing art and covers so much of the world of fiction, mythology, religion.  It's truly an opus.

I'm a regular reader of Chew, which is set in a world where the FDA is as powerful as the CIA.  And the main character can trace back the origins of any food item by eating it (a really neat twist on psychic powers).

The Boys is another ongoing series I read.  A group of folks whose job it is to keep super heros in line.  Very dark and graphic, but loads of fun.

Preacher may be hands down one of my favorite comic series.  Really compelling characters and storylines.  Also has one of the best treatments of god and religion in it.

Of course, Scott Pilgrim gets a nod for being amazingly fun and innovative.  Even if you've seen the movie, the series takes some very different turns in the end (the 6th book was written at the same time as the movie script).

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 03:17:02 PM »
I'm a regular reader of Chew, which is set in a world where the FDA is as powerful as the CIA.  And the main character can trace back the origins of any food item by eating it (a really neat twist on psychic powers).
Seconded. You can get a taste of it here: http://www.imagecomics.com/previews.php

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »
Seconded. You can get a taste of it here: http://www.imagecomics.com/previews.php

I was going to mention Chew but my OP was already pretty long. :D I think it's a great comic, but I've only read the first 4[?] issues - I, of course, have the collected graphic novel version. I'm too lazy to buy comics issue by issue.

Sandman and Preacher are both classics. I have a lot of Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman stuff, I made an effort to get their stuff when I first started getting the GN collections. Black Orchid is a very well done gn, and it's beautiful to boot. I can't remember the artist, however, but I think it's the guy who did a lot of the Sandman covers. Maybe. I want to say David Kean? Blergh.

Sin City is pretty ridiculous, if anyone hasn't read that yet. The comics are way better than the movie.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »
I second Scott Pilgrim and Sandman. Also, for another easy homerun, I suggest Maus by Art Spiegelmann. The first book is a lot better than the second (which came out like 10 years later; a weird experience for me because the original was required reading in high school whereas I actually bought the second new in a bookstore) but both are awesome. It's basically the Holocaust, using mice as Jews and cats as Nazis. This may seem like something you're pretty aware of but I think Spiegelmann tells it in an interesting way.

There was also another series written recently that portrayed some of the events of the early Marvel comics through the eyes of innocent bystanders (for one example, it showed the big battle between the Human Torch, at that time an android, and the Sub-Mariner). For the life of me I can't remember the name but it was good.

Oh yeah, and Ghost World. Most things by Daniel Clowes are good.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 02:26:56 AM »
I second Scott Pilgrim and Sandman. Also, for another easy homerun, I suggest Maus by Art Spiegelmann. The first book is a lot better than the second (which came out like 10 years later; a weird experience for me because the original was required reading in high school whereas I actually bought the second new in a bookstore) but both are awesome. It's basically the Holocaust, using mice as Jews and cats as Nazis. This may seem like something you're pretty aware of but I think Spiegelmann tells it in an interesting way.

There was also another series written recently that portrayed some of the events of the early Marvel comics through the eyes of innocent bystanders (for one example, it showed the big battle between the Human Torch, at that time an android, and the Sub-Mariner). For the life of me I can't remember the name but it was good.

Oh yeah, and Ghost World. Most things by Daniel Clowes are good.

I have Maus and think it's great. I haven't read it in a few years, but I still have it.

The Marvel series sounds really interesting. I like "what if" sorts of stories like that. "Justice" and "Kingdom Come" are some great DC 'what if', insulated stories. I've also read "Universe X" and "Earth X" - I still need to get "Paradise X" (the last in the series). They're based in the Marvel future; I've had to reread them a couple of times because they're just so dense. The art is great.

I've been thinking about getting Ghost World for a while. Good to know that someone who's opinion I would consider respecting recommends it.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »
I've just finished reading a couple of the Serenity comics. Meh. I felt that they could have developed the stories better. They feel pretty shallow.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 07:23:29 AM »
I've just finished reading a couple of the Serenity comics. Meh. I felt that they could have developed the stories better. They feel pretty shallow.

Even my love for all things Whedon can't stop me from finding the comic book continuation of his shows awful.

Offline MikeNH

• Negative Vibe Agent
  • Well Established
  • If God is anything, he's an underachiever.
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »
I've literally NEVER opened up a comic book in all of my 22 years of living... Have I really been missing out?

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 12:38:34 AM »
I've literally NEVER opened up a comic book in all of my 22 years of living... Have I really been missing out?

/rips Nerd badge off of Mike's sash.

GET OUT.

But really, there are some really great comics out there. Ones that go beyond the whole "rippling muscles, good v. Communists, spandex" theme. Comics are just, imo, literature with panels.

Also, I can't believe I haven't brought it up before, but Strangers in Paradise has got to be my number 1 all time favorite series ever. You can get it in trade paperback/pocket size volumes and it's fantastic. And pretty gay. No, I mean actually gay, but not in the stereotypical sort of way. It's just a comic about love, and the love happens to be between two women (and a guy, and another girl, and possibly some other people I'm not remembering - anyway, it's all very complicated and fun and great, with great art and why aren't you reading it right this instant?!). I've probably read the first volume (which was all I had for a while) ten times, and the whole series at least three times.

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 01:18:29 AM »
Also, I can't believe I haven't brought it up before, but Strangers in Paradise has got to be my number 1 all time favorite series ever. You can get it in trade paperback/pocket size volumes and it's fantastic. And pretty gay. No, I mean actually gay, but not in the stereotypical sort of way. It's just a comic about love, and the love happens to be between two women (and a guy, and another girl, and possibly some other people I'm not remembering - anyway, it's all very complicated and fun and great, with great art and why aren't you reading it right this instant?!). I've probably read the first volume (which was all I had for a while) ten times, and the whole series at least three times.
That does sound pretty gay.

You said you like Stephen King, right Mike? His son, Joe Hill, is doing a great comic called Locke & Key right now. I haven't read much King, so I don't know how close they are, but I'll recommend it anyway.

personate-rain