Author Topic: Comic books/Graphic novels  (Read 15688 times)

Offline MikeNH

• Negative Vibe Agent
  • Well Established
  • If God is anything, he's an underachiever.
Re: Comic books/Graphic novels
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 01:23:04 AM »
Also, I can't believe I haven't brought it up before, but Strangers in Paradise has got to be my number 1 all time favorite series ever. You can get it in trade paperback/pocket size volumes and it's fantastic. And pretty gay. No, I mean actually gay, but not in the stereotypical sort of way. It's just a comic about love, and the love happens to be between two women (and a guy, and another girl, and possibly some other people I'm not remembering - anyway, it's all very complicated and fun and great, with great art and why aren't you reading it right this instant?!). I've probably read the first volume (which was all I had for a while) ten times, and the whole series at least three times.
That does sound pretty gay.

You said you like Stephen King, right Mike? His son, Joe Hill, is doing a great comic called Locke & Key right now. I haven't read much King, so I don't know how close they are, but I'll recommend it anyway.

You sir, have a great memory... Thanks I'll check it out!

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 01:30:39 AM »
Locke & Key sounds familiar. I'm probably thinking of something else, though. Not that I know what it's reminding me of, mind you.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline FedoraGuy

• Brand New
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 04:54:09 AM »
I unfortunately never finished Y The Last Man, but what I did get through was great.  That's one series I definitely want to go back and finish up.  Hoping they make a fantastic tv series or set of movies out of it.

I just borrowed Preacher and The Walking Dead from some friends at work and they quickly rose to the top of my all-time list.  Almost been like mental flagellation, each in their own ways: so much pain, but such great reads.

As for Sin City, I'm glad to find someone else who enjoys those books.  It's hands-down my favorite comic-created world.  I know the dialogue can be cheesy as hell, but coupled with stark black-and-white and the craggy lines of Miller's art, it just works.  Coming out of Michael Madsen's maw or being butchered by Brittany Murphy, not so much.  A lot of my comic-reading friends find it empty and Miller's writing horrible.

If you like the hard-boiled detective stuff, you should check out the Blacksad books.  The art is fantastic and the author deals with social issues in each volume.  The titular character is a black cat in a trenchcoat.  I think there are currently three books.

I actually just picked up a copy of SiP because it was really cheap, but it's vol 6...i need to go to the bookstore and find the first few volumes.  I've been told I'd like it.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 06:44:36 AM »
I actually just picked up a copy of SiP because it was really cheap, but it's vol 6...i need to go to the bookstore and find the first few volumes.  I've been told I'd like it.

Yes. Yes you will.

And yes, yes, you do need to find the first few volumes. They're pretty cheap on Amazon, iirc. Yeah, the first one is going for $3.00[US] on Amazon.

Offline Da5id

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 12:34:10 AM »
just finished the first two volumes of Scott Pilgrim, and i really enjoyed them. The movie is one of my favourite of all time, but i am enjoying the graphic novels much more, because the world is much more fleshed and feels more real.
"If all the animals on the equator were capable of flattery, then Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en would fall on the same date."
-Danny Ocean

Offline Nat 20

• Off to a Start
  • Traveln threw hyperspace aint like dustn crops boy
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
Well guys I love me some comics.  Glad I seen this thread.  I read Chew as well.  I like it… fun book.  FedoraGuy mentioned The Walking Dead.  That shit  right there is the Bomb.  As good as comics are ever gonna get in my opinion.  (I know that’s a bold statement… and stand by it)  Robert Kirkman writes it.  He also writes Invincible.  Another great title.  After you get pas the first TPB it takes off like a rocket.  I typically don’t get into Hero comics anymore.  Invincible is the exception, well The Boys is kinda a hero comic.  You guys mentioned Y The Last Man.  So far I’ve loved it.  I have the last TPB to read yet.  I’ll probably read it this week.

I’m gonna drop a name that seemes to  not get much mention on comic threads.  The title is called “Proof”  The main character is Big Foot.  But he is a secret agent working for the United States government,  investigating cryptic and paranormal claims.  WTF, how is that not on top 10 lists everywhere?  As a skeptic I get a kick out of the “cryptoids”, great quotes and sidebars on mythical history….  It really is a cleaver book.  I havent read Scott Pilgrim but loved the movie.

So right now my favorite titles are.

Walking Dead
Invincible
Chew
Y The Last Man
The Boys
Proof

And if you never read “Watchmen”  DO IT!  One of  the best Trade Paper Backs ever written.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 03:13:03 AM »
I just ordered Chew Vol. 2+3, and Unwritten Vol 1. (TPBs, all of them - I prefer TPB.) I've heard good things about the Unwritten, and will report my findings within the month.

Offline Nat 20

• Off to a Start
  • Traveln threw hyperspace aint like dustn crops boy
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
I also prefer TPBs.  They are cheaper and I can read them on the toilet or where ever I like and not worry about pages getting dog eared or what not.  A single comic flys by almost to fast.  I do however still pick up the singles of Walking Dead.  Simply because I can’t wait for the trades to come out.

Im unfamiliar with the Unwritten.  Id like to hear what you have to say about it.  I’m always looking for a new good comic to dive into.

Oh and for the record I miss spoke on my last post.  Watchmen is a Graphic Novel… not a TBP like I wrote.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."

Offline Hittman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
Got to agree on the Serenity comics.  They're disappointing.  Not horrible, but nothing special. 

We've been promised a series of them that explains Book's background, and I'm looking forward to that if it ever happens. 

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
Got to agree on the Serenity comics.  They're disappointing.  Not horrible, but nothing special. 

We've been promised a series of them that explains Book's background, and I'm looking forward to that if it ever happens.
Yeah, I was really looking forward to reading "The Preacher's Story" (the third TPB, iirc) but it was disappoint.

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
 I'm a big comic guy.

My favorites are Atomic Robo, Wormwood the Gentleman Corpse, the comic adaption of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, and the comic adaption of Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

Monthlies I enjoy are the Walking Dead, Ultimate Spiderman (used to be a fan of the mainstream but... just not anymore.) Captain America, I enjoy Wolverine when they're not having him as a rambling mass murderer and instead present him as a highly disciplined martial artist. Rarer and rarer...
 Big fan of Chew and Invincible, Image has a bunch of good comics they've released.

“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline Stargrave

• "To the makers of music — all worlds, all times"
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 04:24:37 AM »
i wont waste my breath talking about essentials like watchmen that have already been covered but i cannot help but notice a complete absence of any mention of the works of Warren Ellis which i find very suprising. he writes fantastic transhumanist comics, he is irreverant of religeon and he often talks of humanity's future in space. if you have any intrest in space exploration or the history of space exploration i cannot reccomend Ministry of Space Highly Enough, also he has a book called Orbiter about the shuttle program thats not quite as good as ministry of space but is still a fantastic read.

if you like futurama or hunter s thompson you have an obligation to yourself to read Transmetropolitan. in a nutshell its hunter living in new new york in the 30th century.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:22:13 AM by Stargrave »
"jim, you proceed from a false assumption: i have no ego to bruise"

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
 I forgot aout two comics I enjoy from Japan: Rurouni Kenshin and BlackJack.
 Kenshin's just fun, while Blackjack is a comic centering around a Doctor, and was written by a fellow who drew from his own medical expertise, though exaggerated.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
Unfortunately, last year my finances were in the toilet which meant I couldn't renew my subscription to 2000AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine. If you get the chance pick up Alan Moore's and Ian Gibson's Ballad of Halo Jones. Back in the '80s when 2000AD was firmly a comic for teenage boys, a story of a girl finding her way through life was a massive hit. Also recommend any of the short story collections from Moore's time at 2000AD as well.

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's We3 is a must.

Offline Stargrave

• "To the makers of music — all worlds, all times"
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 03:24:07 PM »
we3 is brilliant. real short and sweet i bought that comic for my neice when she was 15 and i was first starting to get her into comics.
"jim, you proceed from a false assumption: i have no ego to bruise"

personate-rain