Author Topic: Books for 2011 - Discussion Thread  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Books for 2011 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 08:19:57 AM »
I've been mixing it up a lot this year.  When I finish a book I put it into a collection on my Kindle and periodically clean that out and add several books to my post on the list thread at a time.  Looking at that list, I'm going pretty light this year.  Not near as many serious non-fiction books as last year.

Of course, with the release of Terry Pratchett's most recent (and possibly last) book...I wanted to go back and read the entire series in order.  I will be as sad to lose Pratchett as I was to lose DNA (Douglas Noel Adams) back in '01.

I just wanted to mention...to those that haven't done it....read the discworld series.  Do yourself a solid.  You won't regret it.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: non-binary anarchy
    • The Artful Scientist (portfolio)
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
I'm out of the loop: what's the latest Discworld novel? I've read all the ones I know about, including the "YA" ones. I'm considering rereading the series, but have a few dozen other books to read first.

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »
Snuff (a Vimes novel) was published this month in the UK.  I assume it's here in the states, but I don't know for sure...I haven't bought it yet.

The blurb reads:
According to the writer of the best-selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse. And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder. He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment. They say that in the end all sins are forgiven. But not quite all...

I'm looking forward to it :)
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: non-binary anarchy
    • The Artful Scientist (portfolio)
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »
Nice. I just read the last Vimes novel, Thud!. It was pretty awesome.

WHERE'S MY COW? IS THAT MY COW? :D

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

personate-rain