Author Topic: NECSS Scholarship  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
NECSS Scholarship
« on: January 31, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
   Several friends of the skeptical community have generously offered to help more students attend this year's NECSS conference by covering the full price of their conference registration. We therefore invite students with the following credentials to apply for these NECSS "scholarships:"

1.  A high school or college student ages 16-24 years old.
2.  Must be currently enrolled in school (and provide valid student ID).
3.  Able to travel to NYC, attend both days of the conference, and cover your own room and board (scholarships include the price of conference registration only).
4.  If a minor, the student must be accompanied by a legal guardian (who must pay for their own conference registration).
5.  Must have a passion for science/skepticism and write a short essay why they should attend the conference (each essay should be limited to no more than 250 words and written in English).

Please send your submissions via e-mail to jnovella@theskepticsguide.org with your full name, mailing address, e-mail, and telephone number. The deadline for submissions is midnight on Monday February 21, 2011 and scholarship recipients will be notified via e-mail by Friday February 25, 2011.*

If you would like to donate to the NECSS Scholarship Fund please email Jay Novella at the above address for further information.

Thanks and see you at NECSS.

-Jay

*The NECSS Scholarship Committee is solely responsible for determining the winners. The number of scholarships awarded will be determined by the available scholarship funds. Scholarships will be awarded until funds are exhausted.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:17:17 PM by Jay »
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline rlquinn1980

• Off to a Start
  • Member of Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow
Re: NECSS Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:00:14 PM »
Why the age restriction? No love for us non-traditionals already stretched to the limit working to get through school. :P Ah, well. Kiddies get all the breaks.

@Winners: Have fun, kids! Learn lots!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:04:15 PM by rlquinn1980 »

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »
We had four people win this year.  I plan on adding more seats for next year.  NECSS was great :)
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:44:56 PM »
Well, I didn't win then.  >:( Is it because I am way older than 24 or was it my essay?

Quote from: my essay
I like skepticism very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very much.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline WC

• Frequent Poster
  • inflammable means flammable?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
Why the age restriction? No love for us non-traditionals already stretched to the limit working to get through school. :P Ah, well. Kiddies get all the breaks.

@Winners: Have fun, kids! Learn lots!!

Yeah, seriously. What gives? We adult learners damaged goods or something?

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:51 AM »
Well, I didn't win then.  >:( Is it because I am way older than 24 or was it my essay?

Quote from: my essay
I like skepticism very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very much.

Hey J.S. you may not have won, but you can be proud of the fact that it's still better than Hovind's Dissertation
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

personate-rain