Author Topic: Del Monte to Package Individual Bananas in Plastic Bags....  (Read 3669 times)

Offline lukebourassa

• Well Established
    • My Twitter feed
Del Monte to Package Individual Bananas in Plastic Bags....
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »
This just made me facepalm: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361666/Del-Monte-packaging-Bananas-second-skin.html

Basically Del Monte is starting to package individual bananas in small plastic bags, and selling them at a premium price.

So, aside from it being nearly insane to buy bananas one-by-one, protecting a fruit that already comes in a very insulating skin is a tremendous waste of resources and source of trash.  Here's the kicker:

While the trial may seem bizarre at a time when big businesses are under pressure to reduce packaging waste, Del Monte insists the addition of a clear plastic bag is actually a green measure. The company claims that the bag contains 'Controlled Ripening Technology' - which extends the shelf-life of the banana by up to six days. The banana is put into the plastic bag when it is green and, according to the manufacturers, goes on to ripen more slowly than if it had been left in the open air.

So my question is...  I could see how if several bunches of bananas sit together in a store, they might speed each others' ripening.  BUT, I would also think keeping 1 banana in a small bag would ALSO speed its ripening.  Any other skeptical thoughts on this ripening process?  Is Del Monte full of crap about this method extending shelf life?
evolve.

"Everyone who disagrees with me is stupid." --Johnny Slick

Offline StevesWeb

• Poster Pesters Pastors
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • Ain't No God
Re: Del Monte to Package Individual Bananas in Plastic Bags....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
It is stupid, wasteful and obnoxious but I bet it will increase sales and profits.  People in the USA at least are so conditioned to buying branded food products that putting a banana in a package will make it more appealing to many potential customers. 

People who are put off by seeing food not in a package might actually start eating bananas now.  So in a way that is not quite tragic it might help some people to eat better. 

I do not like the idea.  I hope it meets strong resistance but I doubt very much that it will.

The banana has now gone from being the atheist's nightmare to the tree huggers nightmare.
Just say NO to ridiculous ancient superstitions used to justify bigotry and intolerance

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:25:20 AM »
WHAT?

You mean they're replacing my baby seal skin banana bags with plastic?? What the hell man.. what the hell.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline lukebourassa

• Well Established
    • My Twitter feed
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »
It is stupid, wasteful and obnoxious but I bet it will increase sales and profits.  People in the USA at least are so conditioned to buying branded food products that putting a banana in a package will make it more appealing to many potential customers. 

People who are put off by seeing food not in a package might actually start eating bananas now.  So in a way that is not quite tragic it might help some people to eat better. 

I do not like the idea.  I hope it meets strong resistance but I doubt very much that it will.

The banana has now gone from being the atheist's nightmare to the tree huggers nightmare.

1) I don't think people in the U.S. are so beyond redemption that they would rather eat a branded banana than no banana.  Bananas are ubiquitous!

2) Why is the banana the "atheist's nightmare?"
evolve.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »
Because of whatshisface.. um... the Australian dude who is molestering Kirk Cameron right now.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline lukebourassa

• Well Established
    • My Twitter feed
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »
Because of whatshisface.. um... the Australian dude who is molestering Kirk Cameron right now.

Ah yes.
evolve.

Offline Entropydave

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Routinely confused
    • British & Irish Meteorite Society
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »
I see this story originated in The Daily Mail, nuff said...
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't.

Offline StevesWeb

• Poster Pesters Pastors
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • Ain't No God
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:40 PM »

1) I don't think people in the U.S. are so beyond redemption that they would rather eat a branded banana than no banana.  Bananas are ubiquitous!

I hope you are correct.  They certainly are for sale in every supermarket I visit, but there are people who walk right by the fresh produce section and head for the snacks aisle.   These are the people who *might* benefit from this.  It does seem like the wrong solution to watching too many TV commercials.

2) Why is the banana the "atheist's nightmare?"

Convicted criminal Ray Comfort flaunted his total ignorance with a ridiculous claim that the shape and natural packaging of the banana made it perfect for use as human food.  To his pea sized brain this was proof that a genocidal Invisible Sky Monster had intelligently designed the Earth 6,000 years ago.

Ray Comfort banana argument gets pwned

It is not unusual for stupid people to say stupid things, even if they are convicted felons.
Just say NO to ridiculous ancient superstitions used to justify bigotry and intolerance

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
I see this story originated in The Daily Mail, nuff said...

I mean, I know the Mail is loony, but this article isn't even remotely controversial, it's basically a press release from Del Monte.

Offline Unlimited

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »
Six days shelf life is huge for a banana. The bag is *I'm assuming* specially made to allow the ethylene gas to leave the bag, thereby slowing down the ripening process. Same reason you see people using these to store their bananas.

"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can." -Julius Caesar

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:15:55 PM »
It looks like that bag is completely sealed, I don't see how ethylene would escape.

Offline StevesWeb

• Poster Pesters Pastors
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • Ain't No God
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »
It looks like that bag is completely sealed, I don't see how ethylene would escape.

True in every word.  Of course not being able to see something is not proof of its non-existence.  The word porous comes to mind, but that is a guess.

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
It could also bind with the ethylene in some way.

Offline StevesWeb

• Poster Pesters Pastors
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • Ain't No God
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »
It could also bind with the ethylene in some way.

Sounds more likely, yes.

Offline BeltHarvey

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »

You aren't a Chemical Engineer are you?

personate-rain
personate-rain