Author Topic: Raw Milk  (Read 10486 times)

Offline Shibboleth

• Stopped Going Outside
Raw Milk
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »
I heard about this stupidity on the way to work today. Apparently people are drinking unpasteurized milk because they feel it is better for them.

common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Re: Raw Milk
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
Hope they've got good insurance.  Listeria is a bitch.

I wonder what Louis Pasteur would say if he knew that in the future that people would reject his methods of making milk safe to drink because they are totally ignorant of the dangers of drinking milk thanks to his methods of making milk safe to drink.
Well.  There it is.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Well Established
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • bLog for a righter/musican
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:22 PM »
Hope they've got good insurance.

I wonder what Louis Pasteur would say if he knew that in the future that people would reject his methods of making milk safe to drink because they are totally ignorant of the dangers of drinking milk thanks to his methods of making milk safe to drink.
This is the same problem the anti-vax movement seems to have. This propensity for fault in human logic does not instill a lot of hope in me for the future survival of humanity.
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Offline RKN

• Doesn't Panic
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »
I heard about this stupidity on the way to work today. Apparently people are drinking unpasteurized milk because they feel it is better for them.

This was also discussed in a SGU episode a couple of years ago: Podcast 132 - January 30, 2008

Offline EarthMachOne

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »
There are valid nutritional claims to be made for drinking raw milk.  The question is whether there is also a safety risk that would outweigh any health benefits.

anecdotally, I know several farmers who have been drinking raw milk their entire lives.  Literally, milking the patured cows in the morning and drinking it's milk fresh that day.  neither of them has ever been sickend by it. 

But if you scaled up their one family operation to hundreds of cows, mixed all the raw milk together and distributed it to hundreds of people, the chance of passing on some nasty bacteria is greatly increased. 

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that filling a glass straight out of the cow has little to no health risks....

But yes, when you factor in automated dairy methods, packaging, shipping, storage, etc....plenty of chance for nasty little bugs to hop aboard the milk.....
Well.  There it is.

Offline Shibboleth

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »
There are valid nutritional claims to be made for drinking raw milk. 

Does it give you things that you aren't already getting from a standard healthy diet?
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
I always thought it was more a matter of longevity.  I do remember that the best milk/ice cream I ever had was sold at a dairy farm right next to where the cows were.  I was pretty young, but I think it was unpasteurized.

Offline Shibboleth

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that filling a glass straight out of the cow has little to no health risks....

But yes, when you factor in automated dairy methods, packaging, shipping, storage, etc....plenty of chance for nasty little bugs to hop aboard the milk.....

After the milk is pasteurized the dangers are the same when it comes to contamination. The problems arise from the cow, the milking machine, and everything that happens before pasteurization.

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:48:55 PM »
There are valid nutritional claims to be made for drinking raw milk.  The question is whether there is also a safety risk that would outweigh any health benefits.

anecdotally, I know several farmers who have been drinking raw milk their entire lives.  Literally, milking the patured cows in the morning and drinking it's milk fresh that day.  neither of them has ever been sickend by it. 

But if you scaled up their one family operation to hundreds of cows, mixed all the raw milk together and distributed it to hundreds of people, the chance of passing on some nasty bacteria is greatly increased.

Legitimate Source please?
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline EarthMachOne

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 04:11:52 PM »
There are valid nutritional claims to be made for drinking raw milk. 

Does it give you things that you aren't already getting from a standard healthy diet?

probably not.  but that doesn't mean it's NOT healthy.   ;D   

Offline kvuo75

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 10:15:17 PM »

except for the shit encrusted teats.

Offline Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 12:19:20 AM »
I really love that there folks out there saying that raw milk is so healthy that its worth risking disease and other people out there saying that any milk is bad for you and it probably causes osteoporosis and both sets of people are probably wrong.     

Offline stonesean

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 02:17:58 AM »

except for the shit encrusted teats.

Well, I don't know about you, but I would carry a nice washrag along with my glass I was going to fill from the cow.  But you do what you want...
Well.  There it is.

Offline Tommy Jefferson

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »

Fortunately the Food and Drug Administration is hunting down people who sell this stuff and putting them in jail where they can't hurt people.

personate-rain