Author Topic: Nuclear crisis in Japan at level 7  (Read 29669 times)

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Banned
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
Nuclear crisis in Japan at level 7
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
    I wish I was making this up.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_JAPAN_EARTHQUAKE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-15-22-35-46

FUKUSHIMA, Japan (AP) -- Japan suspended operations to prevent a stricken nuclear plant from melting down Wednesday after a surge in radiation made it too dangerous for workers to remain at the facility.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said work on dousing reactors with water was disrupted by the need to withdraw.

Earlier officials said 70 percent of fuel rods at one of the six reactors at the plant were significantly damaged in the aftermath of Friday's calamitous earthquake and tsunami.

News reports said 33 percent of fuel rods were also damaged at another reactor.

WTF??
Japan's national news agency, Kyodo, said that 33 percent of the fuel rods at the No. 2 reactor were damaged and that the cores of both reactors were believed to have partially melted.

"We don't know the nature of the damage," said Minoru Ohgoda, spokesman for the country's Nuclear Industrial Safety Agency. "It could be either melting, or there might be some holes in them."

Meanwhile, the outer housing of the containment vessel at the No. 4 unit erupted in flames early Wednesday, said Hajimi Motujuku, a spokesman for the plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co.

I hope this is a fake web page.  AP, this isn't funny.

I'm starting to get a little concerned.

Nope, it's true.  CNN reporting the same story.

Shit just got real.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:22:14 PM by ♫♪ FX ♪♫ »
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline Will Nitschke

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Member: League of Extraordinarily Evil Gentlemen
    • CAPITAL Office Business Software
Conversation is not an enterprise designed to yield an extrinsic profit, a contest where a winner gets a prize, nor is it an activity of exegesis; it is an unrehearsed intellectual adventure - Michael Oakeshott

Offline drizz

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Japan abandons stricken nuke plant over radiation
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:47:56 PM »
If only there were some way to lower an impenetrable top hat shaped barrier over the entire plant.

Offline Will Nitschke

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »
Conversation is not an enterprise designed to yield an extrinsic profit, a contest where a winner gets a prize, nor is it an activity of exegesis; it is an unrehearsed intellectual adventure - Michael Oakeshott

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside

Offline David "Stubb" Oswald

• Working hard to become an agricultural scientist.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Lived, perspicacious, philosophic wisdom.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 12:29:27 AM »
I seem to remember a discussion on thorium reactors.  Would they be safer under similar failures?
If you read a book and it changes your life, you are fucked. -Seth Romatelli

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 12:31:17 AM »
I seem to remember a discussion on thorium reactors.  Would they be safer under similar failures?

I think that was mentioned in an SGu ep from last year.

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • I am serious, and don't call me Sherly.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:21:31 AM »
maybe they need advice from BP
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

Offline whitedevilbrewing

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:22:45 AM »
maybe they need advice from BP

=

If only there were some way to lower an impenetrable top hat shaped barrier over the entire plant.

(but it'll fail)

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • I am serious, and don't call me Sherly.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 01:24:52 AM »
but seriously, i have reached the point where i have no idea what media to trust on this issue, not that i think they are hiding info, i just think they are incompetent. 
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Banned
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 01:32:08 AM »
       I'm re-watching the Anderson Cooper segment on CNN, where he and the crew first get the news that is in the OP.  They all reacted much like I did, with disbelief.   Cooper actually says, "Maybe they are talking about the 700 workers who left?" and shit like that.  "Who's going to man the pumps?  This can't be happening.  They all left?".

I know just how he felt.  Like, what?  Everybody left?  What?  What the hell man?  They just left?

I guess I would have the same reaction if they reported they all died.   Time for some hero action.  But where are the heroes? 
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline neurotraveller

• Seasoned Contributor
    • The Rationality Unleashed! Project
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 01:51:18 AM »
Ya, it seems that every news outlet is contradicting the rest. I'm gonna chill out and wait for real info. If my girlfriend starts glowing, I'll know it's reached Cali haha.
-Robert

http://rationalityunleashed.net/

"Leadership consists not in degrees of technique but in traits of character; it requires moral rather than athletic or intellectual effort, and it imposes on both leader and follower alike the burdens of self-restraint." - Lewis H. Lapham

Offline Will Nitschke

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 02:40:58 AM »
That's short for California or Cali Colombia?

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • All Board Access
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • FB relationship status: non-binary anarchy
    • The Artful Scientist (portfolio)
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 04:35:35 AM »
Well, even with the fuel rods melting, it still isn't likely to spread radiation globally. So, yeah, this sucks... but it's definitely NOT Chernobyl.*

Is this really another Chernobyl?

In a word, no. The situation in Japan is different from Chernobyl, which had a completely different nuclear power plant design. Chernobyl had an inherently unstable graphite-moderated reactor, not an inherently stable water-cooled reactor. In addition, all western (modern) reactors must have a containment building; Chernobyl did not have one. Therefore, even if the reactor core in Japan were to melt, the primary containment, a steel liner surrounding the reactor core, should limit the release of radiation. However, we do not know if the primary containment was weakened by the earthquake. Nevertheless, the longer the time between shut-down and collapse the better the outlook because the reactor generates less and less heat with time.

The reason Chernobyl exploded was because of the materials that were used to cool the core. Daiichi does not have this same problem, and in addition, there are other measures in place to contain any potential fuel leakage. So, sorry, no poisonous gas cloud will be hovering over the horizon any time soon.

*Just in case no one has said this often enough.

Rillon's Law
"
I think we should lynch people who are in the mafia.--EhJayArr
"I'm hungry but it's ok that's why we've got a confessions stand."

Offline Anders

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:40:18 AM »
I guess I would have the same reaction if they reported they all died.   Time for some hero action.  But where are the heroes?

We should send in Steven Seagal.
Proud child of the Enlightenment

I survived the Great Forum Disaster of 2014. Never Forget.

Forget not that I am an ass.