Author Topic: Andy Rooney: Why I'm an atheist.  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Shibboleth

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Andy Rooney: Why I'm an atheist.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 09:49:17 AM »
The coolest thing I can possibly think of to put on a billboard would be, "Romans Go Home"
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Drewish

• Banned
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
The coolest thing I can possibly think of to put on a billboard would be, "Roman Catholics Go Home"

I think I've seen one of those in Ireland.
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline Shibboleth

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
The coolest thing I can possibly think of to put on a billboard would be, "Roman Catholics Go Home"

I think I've seen one of those in Ireland.

All Irish are bigots.

Even Father Ted was a bigot.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:03:25 AM by Shibboleth »
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Old Earth Accretionist

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Geology Rocks!
    • Old Earth Accretionist
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
The coolest thing I can possibly think of to put on a billboard would be, "Romans Go Home"
hehehehe
"What's this, then? "Romanes eunt domus"? People called Romanes, they go, the house?"

"Romani ite Domum" a hundred times on a bill board... this would be awesome... I would almost pay for that just for the smiles and brightened days of the people who got the reference...  ;D
“He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts for support rather than illumination.”
Andrew Lang

Offline worldslaziestbusker

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Tomcat traps on number three wire
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
I think most if not all signs that talk about what you believe are moronic.

1: Why?

2: Does your post constitute a low visibility sign?  While it deals with thought rather than belief, it does look billboard shaped in my browser. 
WLB - malcontent badgerer: because being a content gerbiller held distasteful associations and didn't get answers.

Offline AxeGrrl

• in my cell, making a shiv out of a toothbrush and saran wrap
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 02:37:43 AM »

Which is yet another endorsement for that Seattle Atheists sign...............

it speaks of things that transcend belief :)

"Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline Ravenhull

• Well Established
  • Not a weirdo... honest...
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 04:22:34 AM »
How about the sign "ἐν τούτῳ νίκα"? :)
I ran that through Google Translate, and got 'In the meantime, Nika'... (A Wikipedia search found what I am sure you are referring to...)

"You can only know where you're going if you know where you've been." - James Burke - Connections

Offline Skeptress

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 05:19:40 AM »
Well I think if I had known this growing up I would have been more comfortable with my questions.  I know he's just some old dude to most of you but in our home growing up my parents respected his little spiel each Sunday night.
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline Tai Fung

• Frequent Poster
  • Everybody Tai Fung Tonight!
    • Everybody Tai Fung Tonight!
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 06:30:21 AM »
Well I think if I had known this growing up I would have been more comfortable with my questions.  I know he's just some old dude to most of you but in our home growing up my parents respected his little spiel each Sunday night.

Same here.  Has he ever done that on his 60 minutes show segment itself?  That would be impressive.
Atheism should be about "Science and Social Justice" the same way Math should be about "Numbers and Fashion."

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • I am serious, and don't call me Sherly.
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 08:08:50 AM »
While I personally prefer the softer toned signs, I get what the harsh ones are aiming for.  The whole point is to just let in the closet atheists know that there are other atheists out there and getting publicity helps get out the message. 
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. "  -Lex Luthor

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 08:09:07 AM »
Yeah, my parents always watched his chat too, and I always just thought he was crotchety old dude.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Shibboleth

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 08:15:56 AM »

1: Why?

2: Does your post constitute a low visibility sign?  While it deals with thought rather than belief, it does look billboard shaped in my browser.

I hate it for the same reason that I hate bumper stickers beliefs or "thought" if you feel more comfortable with that word. I wish that both the person with the Jesus fish on their car and the evolution fish on their car would take them off and stick them in their ass even though I believe in both concepts. Keep your propaganda to yourself.

Offline worldslaziestbusker

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Tomcat traps on number three wire
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 08:59:57 AM »
stick them in their ass even though I believe in both concepts. Keep your propaganda to yourself.

I have told religious zealots from a variety of faiths to do exactly that with their symbols, holy books and tax breaks. 
They refused.
In the face of such anal reluctance, the need for atheists to have a public outlet remains.
In the current climate, a new atheist is any old atheist the Catholic Church can no longer set fire to.  A militant atheist is any atheist who tells you they are an atheist.  While I don't think anyone is likely to question their faith based on some billboards, the succour they offer to people like my brother in law, who can't talk to anyone but me (the black sheep of the family who's far enough away that I can't spoil Sunday dinner with my heresy or eat the children) about his atheism for fear of being ostracised by friends and family, and perhaps losing his job, gives them tremendous value.
I think you can take your comment about morons and stick it up your ass, in turn.
WLB - malcontent badgerer: because being a content gerbiller held distasteful associations and didn't get answers.

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »
^Awesome post.
Behold, God's Son is come unto this land, Of heaven's hot splendour lit to life, when she Of Thebes, even I, Dionysus, whom the brand Who bore me, Cadmus' daughter Semele, Died here. So, changed in shape from God to man... to show me in men's sight - Manifest God.

Offline Shibboleth

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »

I have told religious zealots from a variety of faiths to do exactly that with their symbols, holy books and tax breaks. 
They refused.

Since you won't stop acting like a moron I am going to act like a moron! Take that! Look at me I am so witty. I put out a sign or stuck on a bumper sticker. This is what you should believe. I told you!

As far as telling me to stick things up my ass. Amen to that. I have never denied the fact that I am a son-of-a-bitch that deserves to be told off on a regular basis.